News and Children's channels to move on 3rd September

Comments

• dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    same here earlier today
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    ... & aside from any other channel have found a placeholder for CBS Action. A definite improvement.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like we're going to get another news channel fairly soon- the TBA placeholder that has appeared on COM7 has been given LCN 136 - so fitting onto the end of the news category once they move next Wednesday.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Looks like we're going to get another news channel fairly soon- the TBA placeholder that has appeared on COM7 has been given LCN 136 - so fitting onto the end of the news category once they move next Wednesday.

Bloomberg maybe?

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/html/tv/cs/dtps000046ba1bloombergtelevision.htm
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Bloomberg maybe?

Ah, could be. I wonder if they'll go widescreen one day!
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Haven't seen a pop-up message for a few days, but one appeared on the stroke of midnight on Sky News last night.
    After several days without, have had one on ITV tonight.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member

That's an ancient licence, from when they were on TUTV for about an hour a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »

Interesting. You would have thought Ofcom would have gotten rid of that one by now...

Just noticed that CBS Action ins't technically licensed yet, so I expect we'll just have to wait and find out what appears on the list.
  • krooneykrooney Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love the new news channel to be CNN International broadcasting 24/7.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just re-tuned ... ... & aside from any other channel have found a placeholder for CBS Action. A definite improvement.
    The retune being talked about here must be done (if you really feel the need) on, or after, 3 September. Retuning today is a bit pointless.
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although they could have held onto it if they planned to return at some point. I can't really see there being much demand for that channel.

Other possibilities; EuroNews, France 24, CNN or, heaven forbid, the return of "TV News".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Retuning today is a bit pointless.

Not really pointless with so many placeholders being added prior to the official retune date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsilon wrote: »
    Not really pointless with so many placeholders being added prior to the official retune date.

But you're not actually gaining anything by retuning early. These are all - as you point out - placeholder for channels which aren't on air. You still have to do the actual retune on 3 Sept to get the right LCNs for everything (even more important now with CBS being in no-mans-land).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you're not actually gaining anything by retuning early. These are all - as you point out - placeholder for channels which aren't on air.

For the general public, I would agree, there's nothing new to watch at the moment. But, this is Digital Spy and any new additions or changes are usually of interest to the users.
    You still have to do the actual retune on 3 Sept to get the right LCNs for everything (even more important now with CBS being in no-mans-land).

It's rather odd that CBS has been given that LCN at this late stage. Unfortunately, the timing suggests that it will possibly still be on this LCN after the retune.

For me, these placeholder channels were all added automatically and I moved the kids and news channels to their new slots some time ago. It's possible that I won't actually see anything change at all on 3 Sept. :D
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member

It's rather odd that CBS has been given that LCN at this late stage. Unfortunately, the timing suggests that it will possibly still be on this LCN after the retune.

Or their contract starts on the 1st September, ie. before the retune. Bit odd though as this has been known about for a while, but then the timing of adding a load of channels a few days before an announced retune day is weird.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will probably remain on LCN 90 for a while, if they had delayed until after 3rd September it is unlikely it would have been allocated LCN 70 so soon after CBBC vacated it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or their contract starts on the 1st September, ie. before the retune. Bit odd though as this has been known about for a while, but then the timing of adding a load of channels a few days before an announced retune day is weird.

Yes, I wasn't going to speculate about contract dates at this stage. The MHEG states "coming soon", I would have expected it to state the 1st of September if it was due to start that quickly. I suppose that will become clearer on Monday.
    kasg wrote: »
    It will probably remain on LCN 90 for a while, if they had delayed until after 3rd September it is unlikely it would have been allocated LCN 70 so soon after CBBC vacated it.

Yes, that's what I was suggesting. There will possibly be an MHEG slate on LCN 70 reminding viewers of the new channel number. I got the impression that eladkse was suggesting that CBS Action would be switching to a new LCN on Sept. 3.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. You would have thought Ofcom would have gotten rid of that one by now...
    If the yearly licence fee is still paid by the broadcaster despite no longer broadcasting on a platform, then it remains current.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC News are now telling you about the number change (they do it just before the top of the hour).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News are now telling you about the number change (they do it just before the top of the hour).

http://i.imgur.com/kB3kJtJ.png

EDIT: And a video found at TV Forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHLA5cYHV3M
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Just seen in my emails that on the 3rd September, everything is going to be moving again all over the place.
    Children’s and News services will move to new numbers on 3 September 2014, increasing capacity for up to 99 general entertainment channels.
    Channels 70-76 in the Children’s genre will move to 120-126, and News channels 80-85 will move to 130-135 on the Freeview TV guide.
    Changes to channel numbers will be picked up automatically by some Freeview TVs and boxes, while others will need to be retuned to get the updated guide. On-screen messages will prompt viewers to retune on or after mid-afternoon on 3 September.
    Guy North, Managing Director of Freeview, said: “This update to the TV guide will create the room needed to bring even more great entertainment to Freeview viewers. We are urging viewers to retune to ensure they can still watch their favourite news and children’s shows without missing out on exciting new services.”
    Viewers who don’t retune on the 3 September will still be able to watch channels at their old numbers. However, they won’t be able to access new services until they retune their equipment.
    For further information on how to retune your Freeview box or TV and to download the new channel guide, visit www.freeview.co.uk. Viewers can also call the Freeview Advice Line on 03456 505050.
    Should be fun! Again! :-/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More change madness:
    *ITV4 +1 has moved to LCN 62, replaced by ITVBe.
    *Quest +1 has moved from COM5 to COM6.
    *Pop +1 has appeared on COM5, presumably to replace it's GImux service.
    *Several radio stations have moved from COM6 to COM5.

At the moment, DTT can only be descibed as organised chaos. Operating hours are going to be hit and miss for the next few days - we can pretty much throw any multiplex tables we had out of the window.

The move of the radio stations balances out the spread between COM5 and COM6. Presumably, this has allowed COM6 a 14th stream. Pop +1 appearing on COM5 is rather confusing - one would have expected the main service to move there, with the timeshift moving to LTVmux.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole guide is a complete mess, anymore madness before Wed?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop +1 appearing on COM5 is rather confusing - one would have expected the main service to move there, with the timeshift moving to LTVmux.
    Also, its appearing on 76 rather than 126 (cf the unnamed placeholder on 136) is a bit odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If not for a lack of placeholder, the Pop changes could possibly explain the oddities that have been observed on LTVmux with Chart Show TV. A timeshare between Chart Show and Pop +1 would work quite well.