Vintage gas cooker

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
Long story short: Bought a 1957 gas cooker in a mad moment. What are the chances of it being able to be made gas safe and do people actually do that professionally? I would of COURSE use a proper gas fitter should it ever be possible to use it. I'm trying to ascertain if I should get rid quick or persevere because it is possible. I would love it if it was!
First time poster, long time reader :) Thanks!!
(Cooker is a New World 1957 Rangette if that helps...)

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Long story short: Bought a 1957 gas cooker in a mad moment. What are the chances of it being able to be made gas safe and do people actually do that professionally? I would of COURSE use a proper gas fitter should it ever be possible to use it. I'm trying to ascertain if I should get rid quick or persevere because it is possible. I would love it if it was!

Has it already been converted to run on natural gas instead of town gas? If so, no problem as long as there are no leaks.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gosh when I read this my heart leaped, I have only ever repaired one, that was going back some 8 - 10 years ago and actually found the parts on Ebay.

If this is the one I am thinking of, a two door oven, ( with plate warmer ), hobs either side with a fold down grill and a lighter at the side, loads of knobs on the front.

A Radiation, New World, Rangette, my goodness!

The cooker I repaired had already been converted to Natural Gas, so a kit was available at some point.

You can tell if it's been converted, under the gas rings plates you will see brass rings, that is a good indication.

And on the cooker plate there maybe some kind of label.

If not, IMO a lost cause unless you can find a kit but that is not the end of the story, you will need a new thermostat among other things and the grill will require a conversion strip.

And of course depending on where it's fitted, it may require a separate FFD.

Given all of that, and the right parts a competent registered fitter can convert,---it will cost you and of course it will need an instruction book.

It would take me about 2 1/2 hours to strip, convert and check everything and I would charge you between £280 and £350 for the job + parts if they were available.

The couple that owned the cooker I repaired were stuck in a late 50s time warp.

The kitchen cabinets were of the steel kind, their kitchen was in great condition.

I still come across these type of cabinets and drawers still in use today, when you open a drawer, your ear lugs go north,--- screech.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    That is probably the best response I could have hoped for! It HAS been converted to natural gas. I know this because inside the original 'how to use your rangette' booklet is a card from 1968 with 'after conversion' notes on it and a diagram with the 'new' flame retention rings on it and these are indeed present on the cooker!!
    The lady who sold it said it would need a new oven burner however.
    I don't actually have a gas cooker point in my kitchen but I do have a gas boiler in there so I can only imagine this would be possible? ALso yes it does have the lighter pipe on the side - are these still legal? :D
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Is the lighter pipe what I would have known as a gas poker for lighting the fires. No way would they ever be used these days (I hope), but we had about 10m of rubber hose connected to a gas tap and it was used to light fires across the house. We may have got rid of it when we converted to North Sea Gas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is probably the best response I could have hoped for! It HAS been converted to natural gas. I know this because inside the original 'how to use your rangette' booklet is a card from 1968 with 'after conversion' notes on it and a diagram with the 'new' flame retention rings on it and these are indeed present on the cooker!!
    The lady who sold it said it would need a new oven burner however.
    I don't actually have a gas cooker point in my kitchen but I do have a gas boiler in there so I can only imagine this would be possible? ALso yes it does have the lighter pipe on the side - are these still legal? :D
    Then you will also know if you trade in vintage cookers it will be illegal for you to sell that cooker without a fully operational converted oven and grill.

If for your needs you will need to ensure the above.

You will also need to make sure 22mm pipework runs all the way to the gas cooker which ever comes first from your side of the gas meter.

Cooker will require its own separate isolator valve.

The lighter pipe must be removed and it's not just a question of capping feed externally.

Once passed, for atheistic reasons you should be able to refit in a manner which assures it can't be reconnected.

It will need a chain stay.

Remember for its day it was a great cooker but the oven will be inefficient compared to todays ovens, even budget ones.
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Then you will also know if you trade in vintage cookers it will be illegal for you to sell that cooker without a fully operational converted oven and grill..

I absolutely do not trade in vintage cookers :D I work in IT! This is totally a personal whim and I'm looking for advice from someone with experience, which I am getting thank you.
    I guess I need to source a new oven burner (is this the correct name?) would you have any advice on this? I don't suppose you work in the south east.....??
    Thanks I really appreciate your time answering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely do not trade in vintage cookers :D I work in IT! This is totally a personal whim and I'm looking for advice from someone with experience, which I am getting thank you.
    I guess I need to source a new oven burner (is this the correct name?) would you have any advice on this? I don't suppose you work in the south east.....??
    Thanks I really appreciate your time answering.
    Ok thanks for clarifying that. :)

Is it the one I described, can you post two pictures one of the cooker, one of inside the oven with the shelves removed.

I so doubt you will find a burner but I found replacement knobs all those years ago so who knows and I want to check something.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, took me a while to move it - weighs a TON.
    I think it is the one you thought it was, a beauty.
    cookerpics
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Nice cooker. I have a genuine 1950s blue Judge saucepan that would look good on it!
    Forum Member
    I had a blue one! Then I lent it to my son.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cookerpics
    I needed to check some details.

And that is most certainly the model I replaced the knobs on, my gosh!

And yours is in good condition.

Here we go, your model was manufactured till September 63, then superseded by previous but updated models, including the 33. The 33 was around in various guises until 1966, those models used the same oven burner as yours and have been converted.

But a company called Main introduced a model called the Century in 63- 64 and its various guises up until 69, that to used the same burner as yours and I have seen a complete conversion kit for this model to.

Meanwhile a company called Moffet who were mainly know for their built in electric range of appliances manufactured a cooker in 65 called the Flamenco both in electric and gas variants, ( I think ), up to 1973, it to used the same burner as yours.

A year ago on the auction sites or Gum Tree, I saw a spare oven burner for the Moffet Flamenco, it said "for use with natural gas".

I'm not sure if any of this helps you but it may give you more to look out for in the spares search department.

To be getting on with you might want to search some on the marine forums, now they will be writing of LPG conversions but might be a wealth of information in your search.

Lastly, the Rangette I serviced, its lighter/tapper was on the right hand side and in full working condition.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    If it's any help I searched for 'new world rangette restoration project' and variations on this and found one thread asking for spares with an answer from a gas fitter who said to contact Hartills in Wolverhampton who have been trading since the 1920s: http://www.hartills.co.uk/contact/
    Forum Member
    seacam, thank you so much! That gives me a lot more to work with. You obviously really know your stuff :)
    Now to see what I can come up with....
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    If it's any help I searched for 'new world rangette restoration project' and variations on this and found one thread asking for spares with an answer from a gas fitter who said to contact Hartills in Wolverhampton who have been trading since the 1920s: http://www.hartills.co.uk/contact/

I will indeed do that, thanks!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cookerpics

Wow, that was when cookers was built like a tank, not the thin rubbish they use now.
    good luck with getting it up and running.
    Forum Member
    Well, Hartills seem to know a lot less than Seacam on here!
    "Thank you for your email.

I am sorry but we don't have any parts for your New World 172.

As far as I am aware the Oven Burners from the other Cookers you mention would not fit your Cooker. In those days most parts where bespoke to the specific Maker and could not be used on other Makes"

Oh well - I am exploring a few other avenues so fingers crossed :)
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cookerpics

That looks like the American cookers/ stoves. My freind had one that looked just like that. Wonder if you could get spares from over there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Can I just jump in and say I absolutely LOVE your new cooker. It is amazing. Good luck. I hope you get it all fitted in and working.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Hartills seem to know a lot less than Seacam on here!
    "Thank you for your email.

I am sorry but we don't have any parts for your New World 172.

As far as I am aware the Oven Burners from the other Cookers you mention would not fit your Cooker. In those days most parts where bespoke to the specific Maker and could not be used on other Makes"

Oh well - I am exploring a few other avenues so fingers crossed :)
    Forget the Moffet, it won't fit but the 33 will as does the Main.

I am exploring another avenue as well,---gosh the world of vintage cookers.
    Forum Member
    Gosh, the help and enthusiasm on this forum/thread is absolutely heartwarming!
    I feel like my lovely cooker has a cheering squad willing her on.
    Thanks everyone - and especially seacam :)
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to stroke it and pet it...

*cries* it's soooo pretty! My kitchen isn't big enough but please excuse me while I go off into fantasy kitchen dream mode for a moment... :D
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Still trying to help....found this place CookersGalore. The page link is spares and parts for vintage new world gas cookers, with photos: http://www.cookersgalore.com/sparts_list.php?to=2475&from=2350 Note they are using an 0844 prefix which since June 13th is now illegal under the Consumer Contract Regulations. You can tell them that from me!

It seems that there are a lot of spare parts in the USA. You could try this site: http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/parts/oldparts.html

Here's another. Unfortunately they only sell to USA addresses but offer information globally: http://www.antiquestoves.com/toac/index.htm

Here's a page of USA links: http://retrorenovation.com/2011/11/04/13-places-to-buy-restored-vintage-stoves/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, the help and enthusiasm on this forum/thread is absolutely heartwarming!
    I feel like my lovely cooker has a cheering squad willing her on.
    Thanks everyone - and especially seacam :)
    Hi,

Can you look inside the storage compartment, there is a gas badge, what colour/s is it?

And I've just realised your cooker can't be fitted with an FFD or FSD as they are referred to.

That won't be an issue so long as cooker is not being installed in a HMO and no registered gas fitter would fit it in a HMO or any other kind of property if not converted properly.
    Forum Member
    Badcat - my kitchen isn't big either. My other half is calling this my mid life crisis!

Evilc - I'm waiting to hear back from cookers galore. I don't know about the US sites as I have no idea what I;'m actually looking for (now, if it was computer parts....) and NW were not sold over there.

Seacam I have taken some more pics and added them. It's a bit yucky under there!! The only bit not nice and clean. I have no idea what a FFD or FSD is but since most of the kids have moved out I no longer have a HMO :D so I think I will be ok!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat - my kitchen isn't big either. My other half is calling this my mid life crisis!

Evilc - I'm waiting to hear back from cookers galore. I don't know about the US sites as I have no idea what I;'m actually looking for (now, if it was computer parts....) and NW were not sold over there.

Seacam I have taken some more pics and added them. It's a bit yucky under there!! The only bit not nice and clean. I have no idea what a FFD or FSD is but since most of the kids have moved out I no longer have a HMO :D so I think I will be ok!
    Sorry, sorry, FFD = Flame Failure Device, FSD = Flame Supervision Device, they are the same thing for the purpose of this thread.

HMO = House in Multiple Occupation which is probably every house in the country with kids running around in it. :)

But seriously a HMO is a property that has more then one family/person living in it not related, there is much more to the definition---but broadly----.

I've seen a lot worse cookers in a lot worse state---I mean really bad.

Open the right door, plate warming compartment, you are looking for a GCN metal plate, ( left hand side of compartment maybe ), a bit like a vehicle VIN plate but smaller, it might be on the back of the cooker, ( it might not be there at all ), what colour/s is it?

GCN = Gas Council Number, the modern equivalent is a label/plate with the model ID and serial number on it, all appliances have one.