Options

Problems playing DVDs

When I play a dvd on my dvd player "Compacks dvd 800" it jumps and makes the dvd movie unwatchable, it jumps, crackles and some time it skips scenes.
Please could you help.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just one particular DVD or any DVD? Could be the DVD is scratched, the lens of the player is dirty or the player is fuggered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    When I play a back up of an original film using Maxwell DVD-R, it jumps and makes the DVD unwatchable and sometimes skips scenes. Also, the DVD isn’t scratched at all although the lens has been cleaned inside the DVD player recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you try playing it in a different player? Or play it back on the PC? Maybe the player just doesn't like that particular brand of disc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have played it back on the pc and another DVD player and it works fine, but some of the other back ups on the same disks play alright.Also,is there any tips on how to back them up.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i bought a dvd player from debenhams (make and model was a worldwide links dvd660) and it did exactly the same as the original posters did(skipped,spluttered,and froze)and i returned and replaced it 3 times,and they all did the same,in the end got my money back
  • Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many players,not all the cheap nasty ones either,that simply dislike playing recordable discs of any format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has anyone go any tips on how to back them up?
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mongosito wrote:
    There are many players,not all the cheap nasty ones either,that simply dislike playing recordable discs of any format.

Well said.

My Panasonic DVD-S35 works well with DVDs but is a nightmare to use with recordable media due to the poor quality of the laser. Most CD/DVD-R(W) discs suffer from pixelation problems, pauses and crackling. Yet if I play the same discs on another DVD player they work perfectly. It goes without saying that I would never buy another Panasonic DVD product.

charlie.prowse, are you able to confirm that the discs which have playback problems play correctly on the PC or on other DVD players? That would prove the player is to blame and not the discs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone go any tips on how to back them up?
    Try experimenting with different DVD media (eg. different brand) and maybe try burning them at a slower speed. Although, from the sounds of it it is just a dodgy player that doesn't seem to want to co-operate with recordable media...
  • Options
    joydenjoyden Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Will Meltcity kindly say what are the DVDs that play recordable OK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    meltcity wrote:
    Well said.

My Panasonic DVD-S35 works well with DVDs but is a nightmare to use with recordable media due to the poor quality of the laser. Most CD/DVD-R(W) discs suffer from pixelation problems, pauses and crackling. Yet if I play the same discs on another DVD player they work perfectly. It goes without saying that I would never buy another Panasonic DVD product.

charlie.prowse, are you able to confirm that the discs which have playback problems play correctly on the PC or on other DVD players? That would prove the player is to blame and not the discs.

DVDs play fine on the PC and is there any back up tips(what software I can use) on how I can make back ups of my original DVDs so that the originals don't get ruined.Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDs play fine on the PC and is there any back up tips(what software I can use) on how I can make back ups of my original DVDs so that the originals don't get ruined.Thanks a lot.
    If you have a PC dvd burner then any burning software will be able to copy your discs.
    If you need to copy commericial discs,use DVD Shrink.
    If all else fails,then take your problem discs into a retailer and test them on another player,then buy that.
    If the player you have is not picky with ALL recordables,you may have bought some cheap crappy low quality blanks.There are loads about.
    Have you tried Verbatim or TDK or maxell or similar?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anybody advise me which DVD-r to buy e.g. dadawrite, and why DVD-R(W) discs suffer from pixilation problems?Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said above, the player itself is probably to blame.

I tried different brands of CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R and DVD-RW on my Panasonic DVD-S35 and none of them played properly. One commonly suggested solution was to burn the discs at a lower speed. That didn't help either. The solution was to buy a new player. My new player, the Targa DP-5100x DivX player (was available in Lidl, now only on ebay) is much more tolerant of recordable discs. Discs that stuttered and pixelated on the Panasonic play perfectly on the Targa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys
    I am not sure if this is the right forum,but I'll try anyway.
    I saw several ads for the Panasonic ES20D and they were all multi regional.
    My local Comet had them in at the same price as online sellers so I bought one (£199.99). However when I tried to play a region 1 disc it said IT WAS NOT REGION 2 and wouldn't play it. So my question is, what is the procedure for making this drive multi regional.
    Many thanks