Future of Amazon Instant Video?

Been thinking of getting Instant Video for some time now, but was a little skeptical on the contents front. I like the fact that they have first run rights for shows such as Extant, Black Sails and Vikings but was wondering if there are any future plans to secure further first run rights as frankly those three shows don't interest me none.

On the other hand, I like their selection of older shows such as Lost etc. But would like to ask if anyone knows which shows might be added to the service in the future?

Comments

• Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    They seem to be making quite a few pilots, so hopping some of those will actually see the light of day.
  • PotsdamerplatzPotsdamerplatz Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    The new series 3 of "Ripper Street" comes exclusively to Amazon Prime next month.

Some of the box sets added over the past few weeks include Sleepy Hollow, Betrayal, Marvel Agents of SHIELD and Hostages - all of which have not even been released on DVD yet.

I've been a member for a couple of months and it's good value for money with new content being added every week. There are also many TV box sets which I hadn't even heard of such as Copper, Hell on Wheels, The Kill Point and Common Law.

As for purchasing content - many movie rentals are just 99p - obviously these are older movies but still beats the blatant Sky Store rip-off any day of the week.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon Instant Video seem to have good content from what I have seen on the website but some like my sister who have got an account with Amazon for shopping seem to have gone with Netflix. Its like some seem to think that Netflix is better value than Amazon Instant Video but as I have never used Amazon Instant Video I would not now. I do use my sisters Netflix account now and again and fined Netflix has ok value and has more films on it than say the BT film bolt on that I also have.
    I also know some that used LoveFilm and got two DVDs sent a month before it changed to Amazon Instant Video now they hardly use the service now.

Darren
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took butchers at the Amazon Instant Video the other day having got hooked on internet TV with Netflix recently and as soon as I read the T&C’s about only one stream per customer that was it, no money coming out of my pocket.

What is it with Amazon and NowTV do they still think the family still huddle around the TV in the evening to watch TV.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    The new series 3 of "Ripper Street" comes exclusively to Amazon Prime next month.

Some of the box sets added over the past few weeks include Sleepy Hollow, Betrayal, Marvel Agents of SHIELD and Hostages - all of which have not even been released on DVD yet.

I've been a member for a couple of months and it's good value for money with new content being added every week. There are also many TV box sets which I hadn't even heard of such as Copper, Hell on Wheels, The Kill Point and Common Law.

As for purchasing content - many movie rentals are just 99p - obviously these are older movies but still beats the blatant Sky Store rip-off any day of the week.

They do seem to have a lot of shows on there, Sleepy Hollow and Agents of SHIELD are nice additions, although other shows such as Hostages, Common Law, Happy Town and Betrayal are either old or were cancelled after one season.

I would like to see them add some more newer shows, also their original content at the moment is pretty weak (compared to Netflix) with only Alpha House and Transparent on there. It seems their first-run-rights programs such as Extant and Vikings eclipse their own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    I took butchers at the Amazon Instant Video the other day having got hooked on internet TV with Netflix recently and as soon as I read the T&C’s about only one stream per customer that was it, no money coming out of my pocket.

What is it with Amazon and NowTV do they still think the family still huddle around the TV in the evening to watch TV.:D

I agree with you about Amazon. At lest Nexflix lest you stream to more than one device. Letting me use my sisters Nexflux account on my Samsung smart TV in my bedroom.

Darren
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »

Now TV allow you to stream on two devices at the same time the same as Netflix , I'll agree I'd like a change to the amount of devices you can register though.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with Amazon Instant, and i get all the streaming and unlimited movies delivered 3 at a time for £13 a month:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    I'm with Amazon Instant, and i get all the streaming and unlimited movies delivered 3 at a time for £13 a month:)

£13 is a little dear when you look at £6.99 for Netflix and that gives you the same but only two devices at once.

Darren
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    £13 is a little dear when you look at £6.99 for Netflix and that gives you the same but only two devices at once.

Darren

Even their up to 4 devices option is cheaper too.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Darren

I think he meant 3 discs at a time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would think as Amazon sale DVDs and has ta wide range of films that more would go with Amazon than Netflix but it seems Netflix is more popular and from what I been reading a better streaming service.
    I have only used Netflix as my sister is letting me use her Netflix account as I have said above.
    I also found this like of a review of both that's a few months old now.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3471700/netflix-vs-amazon-prime-instant-video-review-streaming/

Darren
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would think as Amazon sale DVDs and has ta wide range of films that more would go with Amazon than Netflix but it seems Netflix is more popular and from what I been reading a better streaming service.
    I have only used Netflix as my sister is letting me use her Netflix account as I have said above.
    I also found this like of a review of both that's a few months old now.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3471700/netflix-vs-amazon-prime-instant-video-review-streaming/

Darren

Combined with a vpn Netflix is outstanding value and it streams in 1080p too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer streaming than getting DVDs sent though the post. I know Amazon still offer both but time the DVD arrives and you try and fit in a week to watch it then have to post it back.
    Also as gother posted most films and shows on Netflix are in 1080p HD.
    I also have BT TV with Youview and although BT offer a BT film/TV box sets bolt on. I find that Netflix seem to offer more films than on the BT film/TV box sets bolt on.
    With BT some of the newer films and some films from a year or two ago are on BT box office pay per view at an extra cost.

Darren
    Forum Member
    Remember with Amazon Instant Video you also become a "Prime Member" and are therefore eligible for free first class delivery on all items. Useful if you are a frequent online shopper.

And as an added bonus you get a free Kindle book once a month from the editor's pick (usually a new release in each category)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Just signed up to Amazon Prime Instant Video today and watched the first season of Transparent. I watched it on both my phone and PS3 and it's slightly more slower at loading pages when compared to something like Netflix (which I have used on and off for the past 2 years). Also, subtitles (although available) aren't compatible with phone/ps3 viewing. Amazon has a long way to go in terms of the viewing experience before they can match Netflix (content is a different issue)
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer streaming than getting DVDs sent though the post. I know Amazon still offer both but time the DVD arrives and you try and fit in a week to watch it then have to post it back.
    Also as gother posted most films and shows on Netflix are in 1080p HD.
    I also have BT TV with Youview and although BT offer a BT film/TV box sets bolt on. I find that Netflix seem to offer more films than on the BT film/TV box sets bolt on.
    With BT some of the newer films and some films from a year or two ago are on BT box office pay per view at an extra cost.

Darren
    You do realise that Amazon stream in 1080p as well? Personally I have both which still costs me less than a basic Sky subscription.
    Forum Member
    @moviegeek1992

I should contact Amazon and ask for a commission fee. My sales pitch obviously convinced you. :D:)

Seriously though you won't regret it.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Remember with Amazon Instant Video you also become a "Prime Member" and are therefore eligible for free first class delivery on all items. Useful if you are a frequent online shopper.

And as an added bonus you get a free Kindle book once a month from the editor's pick (usually a new release in each category)

You can get Amazon Instant Video separately for £5.99 a month.
    Forum Member
    What would be nice, is if Amazon could mirror what they do with music cd's, a lot of them come with a free MP3 version too. Wonder if they could do that with films as well. Much like SKY, order a film from their store and they'll send you a DVD too.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would be nice, is if Amazon could mirror what they do with music cd's, a lot of them come with a free MP3 version too. Wonder if they could do that with films as well. Much like SKY, order a film from their store and they'll send you a DVD too.
    Personally I think sky's system is daft. There isn't even an option to receive the Blu ray instead.
    Forum Member
    No but with the flixster app on the Fire TV, it would be nice to just get the instant stream as well. Sky's idea is you buy the digital version and you get the dvd. Amazon's could be the other way around. Buy the physical version and receive the digital version. Lot's of films already come with this, but it would be nice idea to just have it there, soon as you buy it.