My first dip into Now TV

howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Paid for Sky Sports for a week and accessed via the Now TV app on an LG.

Got to admit the picture quality was excellent and looked almost as good as regular TV picture, 32" screen sat about 2.5m away and I forgot it was a web-based picture! Only buffered once too!

The paying-in system is a bit fiddly, mostly because the LG has 4 pages of it's own offers until you get to the bit I have paid for; but after that log-in is easy.

The rest is Bloody Sky Sports - way too many adverts and trailers for a paid-for service. Has really put me off thinking about a normal sub; and also football keeps rearing up it's ugly head - even on SS3 if it's not plugged between the programmes there are still short fillers featuring historic games. Enough!!

Of course, being a web service if you switch off to avoid these (and the ads) you have to log in again and it can take a good minute to load.

So, picture, 9/10, SS 3/10.

Comments

• BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be a bit dim but I'm toying with idea of getting Now TV with entertainment pass and I was wondering how it worked....
    I'd want to watch say, The Flash that airs on Sky1 on Tuesday at 8pm but I'm not in then. I realise I can't record it but would it be available as "on demand"? If yes, how long is it there ie would I have to watch it before next episode airs and takes it place?
    Basically, I'm an old-timer who still uses my Virgin box to record things and I'm wary of evolving my habits to start utilising On Demand approach.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Sorry to be a bit dim but I'm toying with idea of getting Now TV with entertainment pass and I was wondering how it worked....
    I'd want to watch say, The Flash that airs on Sky1 on Tuesday at 8pm but I'm not in then. I realise I can't record it but would it be available as "on demand"? If yes, how long is it there ie would I have to watch it before next episode airs and takes it place?
    Basically, I'm an old-timer who still uses my Virgin box to record things and I'm wary of evolving my habits to start utilising On Demand approach.

I can't find any access to a video vault on NOW, but I only have it for the sports. Anyone help??
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Boselecta wrote: »

The Flash airs Live on a Tuesday @ 8:00pm

The episode is then available on catchup - shortly afterwards.

Looking at the Flash Episodes tonight...

Episode 6 has 28 days remaining.

(Episodes 2 to 5 also available - although episode 2 expires shortly)
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    es6300 wrote: »
    The Flash airs Live on a Tuesday @ 8:00pm

The episode is then available on catchup - shortly afterwards.

Looking at the Flash Episodes tonight...

Episode 6 has 28 days remaining.

(Episodes 2 to 5 also available - although episode 2 expires shortly)

Cheers - very interesting and helpful info.
  • arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Programmes vary on catchup from 7-30 days, with some shows hanging around until 30 days after the final episode. Not every show is on catchup, especially if it's a repeat.
    Fortunately you can navigate http://watch.nowtv.com/entertainment without logging in and see if you like what is there.
  • ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    The (imperfect) rule of thumb is that if it is a US or foreign import then it is available for a month afterwards. If it is an original Sky programme then it's available more or less forever - although they come and go from the listings.
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually i'd say generally 30 days unless Fox in which case it will be 7. Live shows only not repeats- which may already be available in box set format anyway.

Sky home made shows tend to be there for thirty then come back for longer after they've expired.