Rihanna @ Twickenham: Late and cuts 6 SONGS from her set list...

Comments

• uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if someone wants to arrange it, i'll personally spank her bare bottom as punishment for being late
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turning up late on stage is unforgivable in my opinion if there is no technical issue preventing the performance.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    oh please lets be fair..... most popular acts come on stage about 9pm .... that is the time slot for most headline acts. Support acts normally start about 7.30/8pm then finish at about 8:35pm. The anticipation builds etc etc. The real problem that has plagued most big gigs in the last year in the UK has been this awful curfew situation!!! Most shows in outdoor need some dark light .... for the atmosphere, lighting, effects and huge hd screens. The UK has late sunset nights in the spring to summer. All Curfews should be to 11pm not 10.30pm. All large gigs in the last year from Lady Gaga, Madonna, Rolling Stones, Paul M, Bruce S were shorter sets than in Europe and USA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh please lets be fair..... most popular acts come on stage about 9pm .... that is the time slot for most headline acts. Support acts normally start about 7.30/8pm then finish at about 8:35pm. The anticipation builds etc etc.

Every concert I've been to has had published times, visible around the venue, when each act will be coming on stage and playing until.

There is also a difference between letting anticipation build and keeping people waiting for so long that they get bored and pissed off, especially for no reason.
  • Scoobyh1Scoobyh1 Posts: 2,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People need to listen to the facts before they cry the word "disrespectful"....

I was actually there last night and was right at the front. If you want to blame someone, blame the technical guys. Yes she was meant to come on at 8.30pm and came on at 9pm BUT the techinical guys were STILL on stage at 8.30pm sorting out the stage equipment. They also had trouble with the smoke machines as they were going off and some bits that came out of it were burning the people in front including me.

By the time they finished, it was around 8.45pm. Then she came on after they had finished. I was not angry or anything with her because we had only waited around 10-15 mins for her.

Anyway back to the show, I hadn't even noticed she cut those songs out because the show itself was packed with hits and she sang the best ones. It was an incredible show and was lucky enough to have touched her when she came to the barrier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scoobyh1 wrote: »

I was actually there last night and was right at the front. If you want to blame someone, blame the technical guys. Yes she was meant to come on at 8.30pm and came on at 9pm BUT the techinical guys were STILL on stage at 8.30pm sorting out the stage equipment. They also had trouble with the smoke machines as they were going off and some bits that came out of it were burning the people in front including me.

By the time they finished, it was around 8.45pm. Then she came on after they had finished. I was not angry or anything with her because we had only waited around 10-15 mins for her.

Anyway back to the show, I hadn't even noticed she cut those songs out because the show itself was packed with hits and she sang the best ones. It was an incredible show and was lucky enough to have touched her when she came to the barrier.

Which is fair enough.

The issue is with those who keep the audience waiting with no reason, such as Axl Rose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is fair enough.

The issue is with those who keep the audience waiting with no reason, such as Axl Rose.

And Justin Bieber may I add...

When your demographic is young teens and kids, I'm sorry, but you can't keep them waiting too long when they have school the next day.

That to me is very disrespectful. You can even tell by his demeanour and the way he behaves he has no respect for fans so to be honest I was not surprised with his recent lateness at all.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But she still came on stage and did not even have the decency to apologise. It's not the first time she's done it either. She's kept crowds waiting a lot longer in the past and has then just came on stage as if nothing is wrong. It's not acceptable to not even offer an apology.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh please lets be fair..... most popular acts come on stage about 9pm .... that is the time slot for most headline acts. Support acts normally start about 7.30/8pm then finish at about 8:35pm.

Yes, but if your set is two hours long and your curfew is 10.30pm, then 9pm is too late to come on stage.

As for the supposed technical problems, it would probably make more sense if she aimed to come on at 8pm, so even if something goes wrong she still has time to complete her set.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she still came on stage and did not even have the decency to apologise. It's not the first time she's done it either. She's kept crowds waiting a lot longer in the past and has then just came on stage as if nothing is wrong. It's not acceptable to not even offer an apology.

I don't see why she needs to add an apology for a measly 10 15 mins. Just mentioning something like that to crowd only makes a big deal out of nothing and creates a scene.

As a performer, its best to just get on with the show and do the best you can and obviously had to make adjustments to the set list because of the delays with the stage set up.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    oh please lets be fair..... most popular acts come on stage about 9pm .... that is the time slot for most headline acts. Support acts normally start about 7.30/8pm then finish at about 8:35pm. The anticipation builds etc etc. The real problem that has plagued most big gigs in the last year in the UK has been this awful curfew situation!!! Most shows in outdoor need some dark light .... for the atmosphere, lighting, effects and huge hd screens. The UK has late sunset nights in the spring to summer. All Curfews should be to 11pm not 10.30pm. All large gigs in the last year from Lady Gaga, Madonna, Rolling Stones, Paul M, Bruce S were shorter sets than in Europe and USA.

She knows how long her set is and she knows when the curfew is. I'm sure someone could help her with the maths.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an incredible show and was lucky enough to have touched her when she came to the barrier.

No offence, but when people say things like this it freaks me out. You were 'lucky' to have touched her? It's Rihanna, not the robe of Jesus. It scares me how high of a pedestal we put these people on.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why she needs to add an apology for a measly 10 15 mins. Just mentioning something like that to crowd only makes a big deal out of nothing and creates a scene.

As a performer, its best to just get on with the show and do the best you can and obviously had to make adjustments to the set list because of the delays with the stage set up.

Are you joking? She cut 6 songs out of the set for god sake, of course she should apologise!
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we saw Rihanna tonight at Twickenham Stadium.

You have my sympathy.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When a nearly 64 year old Bruce Springsteen can do a set lasting over 3 hours, I'm not sure there's much excuse for a 25 year old Rihanna to not even apologise for being late and having to cut her set short. I did see Rihanna at the O2 during her Rated R tour though and she was very good, much better live than I thought she'd be.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I saw her in Belfast in 2011. Calvin Harris was her support act. He did a great job of gearing the crowd up for a great night with the thumping dance music. The crowd were in great spirits once his set finished because it had built the momentum and anticipation. Unfortunately that fizzled out like a wet fart because she didn't show up for over an hour after!

I could see a lot of people around us were over the whole thing once she bothered to show up. People spend their hard-earned money to pay for tickets to see these shows - not only that but they spend money on travel, accommodation and other expenses just for these one-offs. These concerts cost way more than just the price of a ticket. I have to assume the majority of people who want to excuse such disrespectful behaviour towards their fans aren't the people who actually fund the entire thing...

When Rihanna eventually did turn up she didn't even acknowledge the lateness. If fact, she then gave a half-arsed performance at best. Some people even suspected she was slightly drunk! Personally I couldn't say as I wasn't close enough to tell. I was asked to go see her again in Dublin soon and I declined. Don't get me wrong, the show is great (visually). But if you really want to enjoy Rihanna at her best - watch her music videos.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    When a nearly 64 year old Bruce Springsteen can do a set lasting over 3 hours, I'm not sure there's much excuse for a 25 year old Rihanna to not even apologise for being late and having to cut her set short.

What time does he start at?
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    So we saw Rihanna tonight at Twickenham Stadium. I'm a massive fan, but cannot beleive how much Rih and her team ripped people off tonight.

In previous shows, Rihanna has performed 25 songs. However, seemingly to make up time after she arrived on stage half an hour late, she cut 6 whole songs from her set list - leaving her to perform just 19 songs, of which most were cut in half. The concert started at 9pm and finished at 10:30, just an hour and a half long - half an hour shorter than originally planned.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good show, with hits like We Found Love and WHYB almost making up for the shortened set... but to have payed the same amount as the shows before us (if not more) and get 25% less of the actual concert, just so they can finish on time, feels a bit like we've been ripped off.

Songs missed out:
    - Mother Mary
    - Cockiness
    - No Love Allowed
    - Loveeeeeee Song
    - Love The Way You Lie (!)
    - Red Lipstick
    Well I went yesterday and thought it was a very good show plus all the songs you listed she done on the Sunday Show !.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I don't think that is good enough.

I've seen two acts who had technical issues which delayed the start of their sets proper; so both acts came on stage when they were due to start and apologised to the audiences and did a bit of acoustic audience participation whilst the issues were being sorted.

But then again David Bowie & Crowded House were great live; and proper musicians who knew how to respect their fanbases.

Maybe it's because I'm in my 40s but the influence of Michael Jackson's concerts choreographed to the millisecond; set full of lipsyncing or singing over a prerecorded vocal backing track means most pop artists today have got lazy; and most young fans are happy to put up with this bull$hit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    i saw her on saturday at twickenham and she was half an hour late as well and missed out those songs
    I didnt think she was amazing
    She sang about 20% of the songs, starting to sing the first bit of the lines then trailing off and leaving the backing track to do the rest! whilst attempting to dance, which was just her gyrating her hips. Wasnt impressed at all !:(
  • EmrysEmrys Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Doesn't Axl Rose make a habit of going onstage about a minute before his contract with the venue states that if he's not onstage by a certain time he won't get paid for the gig?

By contrast, when Blur headlined Glasto 09 they came onstage 10 minutes early because they were so looking forward to it!

Also, the same year, Bruce Springsteen played until about 12.40am, which was about 10 minutes over absolute final curfew and was subsequently fined £3000. However, Michael Eavis paid it off himself because he said it was worth it (and non of the crowd compained) :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6 songs is a bit much & im sure she could afford to pay the fine.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    When a nearly 64 year old Bruce Springsteen can do a set lasting over 3 hours, I'm not sure there's much excuse for a 25 year old Rihanna to not even apologise for being late and having to cut her set short. I did see Rihanna at the O2 during her Rated R tour though and she was very good, much better live than I thought she'd be.

I was at Wembley on Saturday, tickets said doors 5.30, show 7.00, I had it down as around 7.20 when he came on but he then ran through non-stop till 10.35. To be fair I've also seen some shows where h's come on ten-fifteen minutes BEFORE the advertised start.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I made it 7.20 too for Bruce's start time. I think the 7 start time was a rough estimate considering he had no support. It was non-stop show though, there was barely a pause between songs. Loved him bringing up when they cut him off at Hard Rock Calling :D

Just reading that Rihanna didn't come on stage till 10.30 at her Birmingham show.

EDIT: looks like the Daily Mail exaggerated a bit and she wasn't quite that late.
  • caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member

On Saturday he came on at 7.20 and finished at 10.30 and that is the normal length of one of his shows.