Options

If you've ever been affected by a TV show please contact this thread

OnlyWayIsEpicsOnlyWayIsEpics Posts: 2,544
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just finished watching Eastenders and they did the whole 'if you've been affected by the issues in this programme call this number' malarky and it got me wondering if anyone has ever called one of those lines?

Comments

• Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I hear them say that, I often sit and wonder what issues they could possibly be talking about.
  • Options
    86lphillips86lphillips Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to be honest, they are there for a reason and I'm sure people use and find comfort/help in them.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've been affected by the unfeasibly high death rate in Albert Square, especially death by car accident.

I've also been affected by Pat's earrings and the vacant hole in my heart caused by the disappearance of Kara Tointon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always seemed to be a waste of license fee money to operate this BBC Action Line. Listing a relevant charity's details at the end might help, but to have a call centre set-up to help whatever issues are on the soaps seems bizarre. It's one of those only in Britain things. "Well, if it helps one person, it will all have been worth it ..."

It's like when they warn us about impending flash photography on TV, despite photosensitive epileptic affecting very, very few people. Another thing that only seems to happen on British TV.

I wonder, do they train the helpline staff to be able to help with every issue that pops up on the soaps or does the Action Line just direct callers to better informed charities that could help?
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you're spending licence fee payers' money on sensationalist soap storylines, you have to look like you're balancing out the trashy guff with serious and important offers of help with the "issues raised"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's OFCOM rules that the Action Line is put in place. All channels have to do it or face an extremely heavy fine if they don't. The calls are routed through to the relative organisation; it's not BBC/ITV/Channel 4 staff taking the calls. People do ring them up.

The flash photography thing happened as a result of kids having fits after watching an episode of Pokemon in Japan. Again, it's an OFCOM rule; the alternative is to not warn people who are photosensitive, have them have a fit, and the sue the shit out of someone for not warning them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you're spending licence fee payers' money on sensationalist soap storylines, you have to look like you're balancing out the trashy guff with serious and important offers of help with the "issues raised"

this.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's OFCOM rules that the Action Line is put in place. All channels have to do it or face an extremely heavy fine if they don't. The calls are routed through to the relative organisation; it's not BBC/ITV/Channel 4 staff taking the calls. People do ring them up.

Exactly, it's Ofcom that say they must do it and I can see why.

If you are going through an emotional time in your life and you are in a particularly delicate moment, watching something highly emotional on TV could upset or effect you. Eg if you lost a son or daughter to suicide or drugs and that topic is on TV it can affect you.

It doesn't cost much to run, but they do help route calls though to charities that can help.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the message should say is..

"If you've been affected in any way by the script writing in this episode, please call ..."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My eyes bleed and I get nauseous...........
  • Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hi. I've murdered my daughter's best friend after she rejected my advances, as in your programme, and I would be very grateful if you could help me to conceal my crime and avoid detection".
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hello - after watching the Eastenders' epidsoes about Whitney running away and getting involved in prostitution - can you give me any good phone numbers?"
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "If you've been affected by any of the issues in tonight's Hollyoaks, it's entirely possible you are shallow, vain and a bit simple."
  • Options
    pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of those only in Britain things.

Another thing that only seems to happen on British TV.
    And how do you know it only happens on British TV? :confused: Where is your evidence to support that? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    "If you've been affected by any of the issues in tonight's Hollyoaks, it's entirely possible you are shallow, vain and a bit simple."
    :D:D:D

I just read that to my Hollyoaks viewing daughter and even she laughed.
  • Options
    Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should say "If anyone has been affected by this programme, you should have switched over..."
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I never get that either,
    surely if you were affected then you'd get help from the relevant experts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have put one after tonight's Corrie because I was traumatised by the bad acting and to put it loosely 'story'.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to be honest, they are there for a reason and I'm sure people use and find comfort/help in them.

Yes they are and I am sure there are many people who have made use of them and many who may have been prompted to seek help via the various storylines and prompts.

But there are times just for a laugh after Emmerdale for instance I wish they would say

"if you have been affected by the Vicars wife shagging the chef , please call us now for help"
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The flash photography thing happened as a result of kids having fits after watching an episode of Pokemon in Japan. Again, it's an OFCOM rule; the alternative is to not warn people who are photosensitive, have them have a fit, and the sue the shit out of someone for not warning them.

Is it only after soaps they have to broadcast this message?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Is it only after soaps they have to broadcast this message?

No. They will do it for certain documentaries (ie The Hunt For Britain's Paedophiles) Panorama, Dispatches and some radio programmes. They'll also do it for dramas. You would not believe the amount of people that ring the Action Lines.
  • Options
    Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. They will do it for certain documentaries (ie The Hunt For Britain's Paedophiles) Panorama, Dispatches and some radio programmes. They'll also do it for dramas. You would not believe the amount of people that ring the Action Lines.

I'd imagine a lot of them post on here.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was certainly affected by the babe on channel 906 on Sky last night :D
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd think the news would contain the things that would affect the most amount of people. Every night it could be upsetting people who've lost loved ones in car crashes, fires, murders, wars, plane accidents, etc, etc or reminding people of horrific events they have been through themselves. Why no helpline after that?
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    I was certainly affected by the babe on channel 906 on Sky last night :D

They tend to be very sympathetic and understanding on the phone ;)