Was "Let It Be" an act of sabotage by the producers on Jahmene?

EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm surprised there has been more comment on the quite insane choice of "Let It Be" for Jahmene. Who on earth gets a 42 year old song which has been covered dozens of times by many famous artists on their albums as a winnng single on a talent show?

Comments

• Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was the contestants choice?
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he probally picked the song
  • RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the song James sang gave him an advantage over Jahmene, yes. It came across as fresher. And I was kind of hoping Jahmene would win out of the two left.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Interesting as I actually thought the song picked for James was sabotage. It may be much newer but it is a truly awful song IMO and seemingly can only be sung in a droney unpleasant fashion. No that wasn't just James as I've heard the original version and hate it.

The age of the song is irrelevant other than it being more familiar to a lot more people so helpful if anything.
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting as I actually thought the song picked for James was sabotage. It may be much newer but it is a truly awful song IMO and seemingly can only be sung in a droney unpleasant fashion. No that wasn't just James as I've heard the original version and hate it.

The age of the song is irrelevant other than it being more familiar to a lot more people so helpful if anything.

The original version is amazing, I imagine you have a horrible, dated taste in music.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought today's Mirror (to read about the Final) and James says he didn't pick his winners song - so why would Jahmene :confused:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/james-arthur-crowned-x-factor-1482743
    He said: “I didn’t chose the song but I really like it. It’s a contemporary song and it allows me to give my own version.

“If I had been given Jahmene’s Let It Be winner’s song there wouldn’t have been much scope for me to make it sound like I had written it.”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I don't think people are influenced by the song at this point. They have already made up their minds who they like.
  • .Kooky..Kooky. Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you mean was it an act of sabotage against my ears, then yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Jahmene & liked James a lot too! Really though the momentum was all with James from Week 8 so Jahmene could have sung the best song, the best vocal, the best arrangement & it would not have made a blind bit of difference! Think it suited him more than James' selection.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandylou1 wrote: »
    I loved Jahmene & liked James a lot too! Really though the momentum was all with James from Week 8 so Jahmene could have sung the best song, the best vocal, the best arrangement & it would not have made a blind bit of difference! Think it suited him more than James' selection.

It's just that it was a really strange choice. The winners' single is supposed to be the flagship single for the entire X Factor franchise.....a karaoke standard from 1970 that appears on numerous different artist's albums seemed a bizarre selection.
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    James said: “I didn’t chose the song but I really like it. It’s a contemporary song and it allows me to give my own version.

“If I had been given Jahmene’s Let It Be winner’s song there wouldn’t have been much scope for me to make it sound like I had written it.

Is this a joke? He thinks grunting and mumbling and the production company's addition of two-year old production tricks make it sound like he wrote Impossible, the song whose melody and lyrics he emulated wholesale?

Laughable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it is announced beforehand what they will be releasing but most people don't know what it is until they sing it about half an hour before the voting lines close. Considering the votes are carried over from the night before I doubt they could sabotage him that late in the game.

To be honest if they convinced him to go on stage in the last half hour and launch into a hateful slur about everyone who watches the show I'm not sure it would have an affect at that point unless the voting was really really incredibly close.

Also I don't think there are that many voters who vote based on which winners single they like, by this point most people who vote probably have a favourite and are going to remain loyal even if they like the other song better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    To be honest when I heard Jahmene sing that; I thought he'd edge it. Jahmene had the disadvantage of singing a classic; James had the risk of singing a too current song. I don't think either had a massive one up on the other.
    Forum Member
    rombod wrote: »
    Is this a joke? He thinks grunting and mumbling and the production company's addition of two-year old production tricks make it sound like he wrote Impossible, the song whose melody and lyrics he emulated wholesale?

Laughable.

Source: The Mirror.

Not exactly stone cold fact :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should have sung Madonna's Let It Will Be.
  • keelekloggerkeeleklogger Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I'm surprised there has been more comment on the quite insane choice of "Let It Be" for Jahmene. Who on earth gets a 42 year old song which has been covered dozens of times by many famous artists on their albums as a winnng single on a talent show?

i love Jahmene but this was the worst choice he could have made but by this time James had already won.
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    "I have strongly disagreed with stuff. I have a feeling I will be able to call the shots. They don’t mess with me, I’m a badass, me.”

This CANNOT be real.
  • HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    He should have sung Madonna's Let It Will Be.

This :D

Truth is, Jahmene didn't sound very good on Sunday.
  • keelekloggerkeeleklogger Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    mandylou1 wrote: »

agree 10%
    Forum Member
    This CANNOT be real.

He could well have said it humourously. I highly doubt he was being serious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    This CANNOT be real.

My guess is James has not learned yet that if you joke on or use sarcasm in interviews it won't always appear that way to everyone who reads it in print.
    (Personally I assume he had to have said that in a joking manner).
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love Jahmene but this was the worst choice he could have made but by this time James had already won.

Don't forget too Tulisa and Louis kept slating Chris for being "dated, unoriginal and not relevant to today's charts" and then they go and foist a Beatles song on Jahmene for his winners single.
  • VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    aimee321 wrote: »
    My guess is James has not learned yet that if you joke on or use sarcasm in interviews it won't always appear that way to everyone who reads it in print.
    (Personally I assume he had to have said that in a joking manner).

That's how I see it too.

About Jahmene's songchoice: I was quite underwhelmed but it's all water under the bridge now, isn't it?
    I would have loved for Jahmene to win and was gutted when he didn't, but I found it really nice to see how close those two seem to have become. I don't remember having seen that kind of companionship between the final 2 before, so I'm trying to see the bright side.
    That will be a lot easier for me when Jahmene has signed a record deal, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think Let It Be did Jahmene any favours whatsoever, I personally really like the song but I do not think it was the right song for him. I do not know how the contestants get given songs or how potential winners singles are decided so maybe there is input from the contestant and maybe there is not. I personally thought he lost ground with LIB. Having said that I do believe song choice is an important element and a lot of viewers or fans might have really liked it but James's choice seemed to be more relevant, dynamic and energised.

Having said that it is my opinion that Jahmene had either peaked a couple of weeks ago or repeated dud song choices had stalled him badly. I felt his song choices were often uninspired or he was simply unable to energise them the way James usually managed with the exception of his cover of One by U2.

But the bottom line for me is Jahmene's LIB, for me, did not help his cause at all.I really would have liked him to try some more contemporary material other than Angels which he did very well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The local radio station played it today. The presenter said (paraphrase) After 10 weeks of the Xfactor this is what was spat out at the end.

For me that sums up both the song and the artist.

Without the constant audience noise the performance on the radio was a lot worse than seen on Sunday. It was a drone with most of the words having there ending missing and with the music completely drowning out the vocals in the loud passages (probably deliberately to hide poor technique)