Options

Car making weird noise when starting!

verbotenverboten Posts: 75
Forum Member
Hi all,

I'm desperate for any mechanically minded folks to give me some advice!
2 days ago my beloved old Citroen Picasso started making a godawful whining sound and struggled when starting motor. I got it to my local garage yesterday and they said the battery needed changing and that was the cause of the problem. So, battery changed, I set off home. Later, I started up the motor again (couldn't check at garage as they drove it out for me and the access for the garage is so congested, I just hopped in with the motor running). Yep - the whining,struggling noise was back, and it again was slow to turn over. I called the garage back straight away and they said it started fine for them, and that starter motor, alternator were fine.

So, I take it back this morning. Weirdly, the noise wasn't there:confused: I turned it over about 10 times and everything seemed A ok. Still I got the garage to double check everything. Again I could hear it starting fine for them and they double checked everything! No probs! I got in car started it up to leave and yep, all ok.
I get home, try it again and the bloody noise and struggling to turn over problem is back AAAAAGGGGHHH!!

Garage reckon the car needs to get used to the new battery and needs cranking over (never heard of this before) This garage has always been fair and good for me and is highly recommended by all the locals, so i trust their diagnosis - but this may be a rogue problem?

Can anyone advise me if this is right???

Comments

• Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you only get this noise when starting the engine from cold?
    Garage reckon the car needs to get used to the new battery and needs cranking over (never heard of this before)

Neither have I;)
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as a car having to get used to a battery.

I am not a mechanic but it sounds like you have a loose belt. The one that drives the alternator. You often hear cars go past with whining alternator belts especially when they have just started in the morning. The belts warm up and usually stop slipping but it is possible that yours is still slipping and is not driving the alternator properly. With a reduced charge the battery will slowly go flat. A loose or worn belt is fairly easy to fix.

It could also be a problem with the alternator such as bearings but all of these problems should be identifiable by the garage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KennedyC wrote: »

I am not a mechanic but it sounds like you have a loose belt. The one that drives the alternator. You often hear cars go past with whining alternator belts especially when they have just started in the morning. The belts warm up and usually stop slipping but it is possible that yours is still slipping and is not driving the alternator properly. With a reduced charge the battery will slowly go flat. A loose or worn belt is fairly easy to fix.

It could also be a problem with the alternator such as bearings but all of these problems should be identifiable by the garage.
    Hi, thanks for replying -
    alternator was thoroughly checked,( i insisted they re-check it and specifically the belt) and all connections etc, but car doesn't make that sort of whining/screechy sound you hear sometimes it's more of a groan (i know, sounds stupid, but it's the only way to describe it!) It doesn't matter if the car is cold or warmed up (in fact it seems to happen more after it's warmed up:confused:)

Hey ho - maybe I'm just unlucky in that this is a weird problem no garage has come across before lol
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turbo maybe?
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    New battery duff/ too old or possibly not the correct one for the car?

Also have the garage done a drain test on the vehicle to make sure that there is not too much current drain when the car is turned off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    New battery duff/ too old or possibly not the correct one for the car?

Also have the garage done a drain test on the vehicle to make sure that there is not too much current drain when the car is turned off?

Hi,

Yeah, think they mentione on first day they'd tested it. Just spoke to my dad who had a citroen years back and had a similar problem which even the Citroen garage couldn't suss out!

I think I'll see how I get on over the weekend and if it continues I'll take it to a different garage for a second opinion (we're hoping to go to North Devon soon which is a fair old trek - don't want to end up using Shanks's Pony :D)

Weird thing is, once started the car runs like a dream!
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    initial thought: whining sound = fan belt slipping ??
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ?Dodgy cable connection to starter motor?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »

i remember when i changed the battery on a Renault Vel Satis....

for about a week, it had a mind of its own, windows going down themselves, dashboard like a christmas tree..then it all stopped and went back to normal..

it was like that episode of the Next Generation when those critters got into the Enterprise computers..

(nerd alert):o
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never known such a thing. Had a couple of new batteries fitted over the years, inc on vauxhalls and I recently changed the one on the VW polo as the other was 7 years old and i didnt want to chance another winter on it.
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

for about a week, it had a mind of its own, windows going down themselves, dashboard like a christmas tree..then it all stopped and went back to normal..

it was like that episode of the Next Generation when those critters got into the Enterprise computers..

Yes, I've had experience of the strange electronics in Renault cars they can behave bizarrely!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I had the same thing happen on a Nissan Primera after fitting a new battery. For the first few days everything was all wrong. The indicators were operating wrongly, the rear view camera was on in 'Drive' (nice view of the road) :cool: and the headlights did whatever they liked. The sunroof didn't work at all.

Then it all just worked again. :confused:

(I loved that episode of TNG) :)
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    verboten wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm desperate for any mechanically minded folks to give me some advice!
    2 days ago my beloved old Citroen Picasso started making a godawful whining sound and struggled when starting motor. I got it to my local garage yesterday and they said the battery needed changing and that was the cause of the problem. So, battery changed, I set off home. Later, I started up the motor again (couldn't check at garage as they drove it out for me and the access for the garage is so congested, I just hopped in with the motor running). Yep - the whining,struggling noise was back, and it again was slow to turn over. I called the garage back straight away and they said it started fine for them, and that starter motor, alternator were fine.

So, I take it back this morning. Weirdly, the noise wasn't there:confused: I turned it over about 10 times and everything seemed A ok. Still I got the garage to double check everything. Again I could hear it starting fine for them and they double checked everything! No probs! I got in car started it up to leave and yep, all ok.
    I get home, try it again and the bloody noise and struggling to turn over problem is back AAAAAGGGGHHH!!

Garage reckon the car needs to get used to the new battery and needs cranking over (never heard of this before) This garage has always been fair and good for me and is highly recommended by all the locals, so i trust their diagnosis - but this may be a rogue problem?

Can anyone advise me if this is right???

Could possibly be the centrifugal clutch pulley on the alternator slipping.

This would explain the flat battery and the noise.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the starter motor clutch might might be sticking, that does make a racket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the French cars you have to put the BSI to sleep before disconnecting the battery or you can get all sorts of problems, including frying the BSI which could get expensive....otherwise known as the "3 minute rule"

I always keep the electrical system energised by connecting my booster pack to the 12 volt plug in the car whilst changing a battery....this avoids all the stupid problems that can occur (with any car btw, not just French)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    I was thinking the starter motor clutch might might be sticking, that does make a racket.

Possibly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    On the French cars you have to put the BSI to sleep before disconnecting the battery or you can get all sorts of problems, including frying the BSI which could get expensive....otherwise known as the "3 minute rule"

I always keep the electrical system energised by connecting my booster pack to the 12 volt plug in the car whilst changing a battery....this avoids all the stupid problems that can occur (with any car btw, not just French)

which could explain Jimmy Connors Primera problems as thats a Laguna with a different body....

intresting

hopefully the Alto will be less complicated
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a crap garage OP, a car does not need to get used to a new battery lol.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    which could explain Jimmy Connors Primera problems as thats a Laguna with a different body....

intresting

hopefully the Alto will be less complicated

Definitely less complicated than the Primera, yes. I only got rid of it because it drank fuel. It was a lovely car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a crap garage OP, a car does not need to get used to a new battery lol.

Read post 16