Options

New Mirena Coil fitted - still spotting

wenchwench Posts: 8,928
Forum Member
Hi Guys,

I had the Mirena coil fitted over 3 weeks ago but I'm still spotting everyday since then.

I was told to expect this but was not told for how long I should expect this for.

Can't get hold of anyone at the clinic I had it fitted, and my next check up is not for another 4 weeks.

Does anyone know if it is usual for the spotting to last this long, and do you know for how much longer it can last?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had mine fitted in October and had spotting for about 6 weeks after and then intermittently for about 4 months but it's cleared now - that's not to say yours will last as long, I think it will just vary with different people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the Mirena coil fitted a couple of years back and I spotted almost every day for almost year till I had it taken out and had a hormone free coil inserted instead and I have no problems at all . . . periods at the normal time for the normal length!
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a fair few years ago but after spotting for 8 months i had the Mirena removed and switched to depo injections. They were brilliant - no spotting, no periods whatsoever
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had the depo injections too . . . they also made me spot . . . and put on so much weight!!!
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I think I only have the choice of the coil because of my age (37) and the fact I'm a smoker.

Thanks anyway, looks like I will just ask at my next check up if its still going on by then.
  • Options
    verbotenverboten Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Hi, had my Mirena put in 2 years ago and spotted for a couple of months but haven't had a period since, hooray!!! Stick with it - after having tried ALL other methods (Implanon, depo, pill etc) this is the easiest and has had (for me) the least side effects.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do have to stick with it - I spotted for about 6 months I think but it did eventually settle down eventually and I'm very happy with it now.

I think it's a shame that the doctors and nurses who fit them don't make it clearer what you can expect, so that people wouldn't be so perturbed when it takes a while.