The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    correct...my mistake. But I stand by my belief that this year they really want a young woman to win and my money's been on Kimberley since the first episode.

I think whichever one wins, the conspiracy theory people here will think it is a fix for one reason or another.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that Kimberley gets less air time than the others? She is also the quietest and the most organised.
    Frances is my favourite but I think Kimberley has been the best all rounder, overall.
  • LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patchoui wrote: »
    The biggest innuendo seems to have slipped under the radar- Goat is urban slang for something completely different ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Goat&defid=1550994

"A goat can be newly defined as a lesbian. It is often described with adjectives in front of it such as stupid, ugly, or ****ing. A goat is not the good kind of lesbian, it is the very bad kind. It belongs to the class of words that include goat, kitty, and ram"

I never knew that! :D

Also = Capricorn.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching on catch up (I should have thought twice about taking a new class on a Tuesday night - I'll never be able to watch live!!).

Sad Glenn has gone. Such a lovely man. I really thought Christine's time was up until the last round.

I've always liked Frances but her designs were sometimes a bit much.

Glad someone else has picked up on the pronunciation of feuille. It was going right through me - I blame JK Rowling! ;)

I can see why people think Kimberley is smug though I still like her.

I am really going off Paul - having really liked him in Series One. He is very inflexible in his thinking sometimes, although Glenn's didn't rise as much. As I said last week he seems to put people off during the preparation stage.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose people remember the extremes rather than middle of the road :D Has Christine ever said her bakes are going to be good? I've never really noticed tbh.

Yes, she did. She said it a couple of times in tonight's episode, for instance. They all did, actually. And why not? Sometimes, saying it loud can help improving one's confidence. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My money's on Ruby, let's have a bet :D

I want Kimberly to win and I expect Ruby to win, but since two episodes ago, my money has been on Frances to win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to me that Kimberley gets less air time than the others? She is also the quietest and the most organised.
    Frances is my favourite but I think Kimberley has been the best all rounder, overall.

She has more screen time in this episode than previous episodes, but still has less screen time than the others have tonight.
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I stand by my belief that this year they really want a young woman to win
    Why would the BBC care who wins?
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,019
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Yes, she did. She said it a couple of times in tonight's episode, for instance. They all did, actually. And why not? Sometimes, saying it loud can help improving one's confidence. :D

Ah just shows I wasn't paying attention :D I usually watch it again properly on the repeated showing on Sundays. I'll make sure I listen better! :)
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    correct...my mistake. But I stand by my belief that this year they really want a young woman to win and my money's been on Kimberley since the first episode.
    Yes, come on Kimberley! She's been so consistent, even with her unique flavours - a coupIe of minor mishaps, but don't think she's had any disasters.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like Ruby or Beca to win. Really warmed to Beca recently :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    How Glenn thought he'd be safe after serving up that mess I'll never know! I'll miss him though. He had a big and likeable personality.

Kimberley seems to have caught the smug bug.

I'd like Frances to win now. I was hard on her at the beginning (and she deserved it) but she handled her tower collapsing so well, and it showed she's human after all. Since then she's been consistent and I couldn't help but marvel at her musical themed showstopper. The rest of them looked a bit shoddy to be honest.

I thought that too - "Quite simple to make really"..and then she comes fourth. (And, don't intend to be unkind here but I was distracted by her choice of hairstyle - made me think of Slideshow Bob. :o)

Last night's was good, lot's of difficult bakes and showed that all of the remaining ones are really very good. I like them all and therefore will be pleased with whoever wins. Sorry for Glen, lovely chap.but he couldn't match those girls.
  • bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be one of the gummy ones that wins this. Either the skinny one who always has a theme or the fat one who claps her hands and shouts 'Yey!' like a five year old.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Yes, come on Kimberley! She's been so consistent, even with her unique flavours - a coupIe of minor mishaps, but don't think she's had any disasters.

I'm with Kimberley as well - like to think she's just taken a breather over the last couple of weeks and will come storming through again - really didn't get why Glenn beat her in the technical challenge, okay her's were inconsistent in size, but surely runny filling was a worse crime :confused:
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    It will be one of the gummy ones that wins this. Either the skinny one who always has a theme or the fat one who claps her hands and shouts 'Yey!' like a five year old.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013pqnm/profiles/bakers

Hope this helps you learn their names .
  • kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    I'm so pleased Frances got star baker:)
    Sorry to see Glen go, he seems a lovely guy. I know it was the right choice, and his show stopper was a mess, but I did get the impression that Paul had decided not to like them before they even went into the oven because Glen was daring to make pastry in a different way to him:D
    I'm thinking either Becca or Ruby will win now, I've a feeling Christine will go out next.

I'll admit that did really annoy me. Paul bakes bread - but as far as I'm aware he's not exactly a trained patissier. And the style of pastry Glenn tried was invented by Pierre Hermé who is rather good at this type of thing :).

Glenn didn't execute it very well (think it did need one more turn) but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea. And Paul definitely seemed to have decided it was going to be rubbish before it was even finished
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll admit that did really annoy me. Paul bakes bread - but as far as I'm aware he's not exactly a trained patissier. And the style of pastry Glenn tried was invented by Pierre Hermé who is rather good at this type of thing :).

Glenn didn't execute it very well (think it did need one more turn) but there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea. And Paul definitely seemed to have decided it was going to be rubbish before it was even finished

It was rubbish though, whereas everyone else's pastries which were done the traditional way were not rubbish.
  • BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christine suddenly living dangerously - if Glen's efforts hadn't been such a disaster I think she might've gone last night.

I can't believe how much this series has ebbed and flowed - one week, one person is at the top, the next they're in serious trouble. It's happened once or twice like this before (Jason & Maryann in Series 2, for example) but never all the way through the series.
    Makes it more exciting each week (and, dare I say ratings-friendly!)
    I was willing to bet my house on Christine a few weeks ago, but now I'm glad I didn't...

Frances was a well deserved SB - I thought Ruby might pinch it from her at the last moment, but the judges obviously wanted to spread it around.
    Could this mean she's gone next week...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am sure if he had come up with perfect pastries Paul would have said that he didn't think it would work but he has been proved wrong - he has done that several times in the past. However Glen didn't and Paul was right.
  • SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I want Kimberly to win and I expect Ruby to win, but since two episodes ago, my money has been on Frances to win.

Fo the first time I'm going into the quarter finals without a favourite. All the ladies who are left have their strong and weak points. But they can all bake a lot better than I can, so we will see. I think it may be that I just don't have a favourite this year. I really like the cookbooks from the series, I have all of them, but then my daughter says that I'm a cookbook collector. Maryanne from Series 2 was a cookbook collector as well. I love the old ones, the ones where the measurements are 'a wineglass' of brandy and a 'handful' of flour.

Has anyone watched Paul's bread series? The man does know his bread. But like my daughter pointed out to me, his hands are huge. No wonder he can knead bread really well.
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be in the minority here but I actually like Ruby. I think she just wants to get things right and when they don't she's really hard on herself. She's never said her bakes are amazing and she doesn't ask Paul and Mary to be nice to her. Maybe she whinges a bit but I thought it was quite sweet this week when she asked Mel to give her a talking to nearer the end. :)

On another note, I'm really sad to see Glenn go. Everyone seemed to really like him and he's got such a likeable personality. He will be missed.

Personally, I'd like Ruby or Beca to win. :)
  • CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beca or Kimberley to win:)
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I want Ruby to win but her showstopper looked a right mess last night. I was getting a bit worried she might get booted off.
    I would like to see her, Christine and Frances in the final. Christine has the odd disaster but overall comes across as knowledgeable, capable and very experienced. Frances has really come up on the outside after a shaky start. Once she stopped distracting herself with over elaborate design concepts her natural ability has been allowed to shine,.
    I think Kimberly started very strong but has slid down considerably in the last few weeks and, while I've really warmed to Becca, she doesn't seem to have the wow factor of some of the others.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    puppylove7 wrote: »
    I might be in the minority here but I actually like Ruby. I think she just wants to get things right and when they don't she's really hard on herself. She's never said her bakes are amazing and she doesn't ask Paul and Mary to be nice to her. Maybe she whinges a bit but I thought it was quite sweet this week when she asked Mel to give her a talking to nearer the end. :)

On another note, I'm really sad to see Glenn go. Everyone seemed to really like him and he's got such a likeable personality. He will be missed.

Personally, I'd like Ruby or Beca to win. :)
    its no secret that I dont like Ruby and this week I thought I would lay off her but i didnt think it was sweet when she shouted for her talking to while Mel was helping another contestant to fill a piping bag

but then theres nothing like making yourself the center of attention when it looks like no one is taking any notice of you is there ;)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, as you seem to state, Glenn did muck it up, and therefore the end result was rubbish.

A good idea does not always translate into a good result, and as Glenn was being marked upon the end result rather than the idea, Paul was quite correct in both his pre- and post-bake comments and marking.
This discussion has been closed.