QI - Series K

Comments

• seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    No, they were ripe. Maybe it was the varieties they had?

I just found this on Wikipedia

"The colour of citrus fruits only develops in climates with a (diurnal) cool winter. In tropical regions with no winter at all, citrus fruits remain green until maturity, hence the tropical "green oranges". The Persian Lime in particular is extremely sensitive to cool conditions, thus it is not usually exposed to cool enough conditions to develop a mature colour. If they are left in a cool place over winter, the fruits will change colour to yellow."
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you seejay - learn something new every day!
    :)
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I just found this on Wikipedia

"The colour of citrus fruits only develops in climates with a (diurnal) cool winter."

I thought diurnal meant daily :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I thought diurnal meant daily :confused::confused:

Me too.
  • BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even when they have people on that I personally quite like (as last Friday) I can't help feeling that The Shark has been well & truely cleared by Stephen and Co.

Does QI still get decent ratings, or is this National Treasure likely to be buried six feet under in the near future?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wondered if they've thought about curring down the series length so that they can get through the rest of the aplhabet quicker.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,117
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I wondered if they've thought about curring down the series length so that they can get through the rest of the aplhabet quicker.

They could just do a standard 10-part run.

Or even 6, but then they may as well make each show 45 minutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Are you in a hurry to get to some of the higher letters? I think they may struggle to get a full series out of q, x or z :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Then a shorter run may be better in the long run.

I just wonder how long they can keep it going. I think if it was a radio show then it could just keep plodding on for years like ISIHAC or Just A Minute but with it being on telly then there is more at steak.
    Forum Member
    Jeremy Clarkson, Jimmy Carr, Bill Bailey and of course Alan Davies on tonight.
  • al531al531 Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Don't really understand what the point of these experiments they are tacking on at the end is. No relation to the rest of the programme, no explanation as to how they work. Few weeks ago we had Stephen karate chopping blocks...and then were told that they were fake bricks...completely pointless.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More or Less did an item today on yet another dodgy fact from Fry.

Have mosquitoes killed half the world?
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    More or Less did an item today on yet another dodgy fact from Fry.

Have mosquitoes killed half the world?

I thought the whole point of the programme was the it was supposed to be thoroughly researched and all the facts were true.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    al531 wrote: »
    Don't really understand what the point of these experiments they are tacking on at the end is. No relation to the rest of the programme, no explanation as to how they work. Few weeks ago we had Stephen karate chopping blocks...and then were told that they were fake bricks...completely pointless.

Karate begins with k.
    Yesterday's used potassium, symbol K.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I thought the whole point of the programme was the it was supposed to be thoroughly researched and all the facts were true.

In this case they seemed to have quoted a figure that has appeared in various sources but no one has actually checked whether it is true. That happens quite often and of course once it appears in plenty of places when people search on Google then it is presumed to be true.
    Forum Member
    Nice to see Jeremy speaking his mind:

"It's ****ing hysterical"...
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This program may be getting on but my god does it still make me laugh. And I think it's got funnier over the last 2 series after a dip.

Ken
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,883
    Forum Member
    Nice quip from Jimmy to Jeremy about avoiding paying tax.

Are the sound crew restricted in what buzzer noises they can use as Alan's has been used before?
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they shown the programme where one of the guests is a South African comedian called Trevor? I think that was his name. I was in the audience for that, and wondered if it ever got broadcast. Strange atmosphere that day, nothing seemed to click.
  • squacksquack Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QI_(series_K)#Episode_6_.22Killers.22

If it was, then it's on next week.
    Forum Member
    ff999 wrote: »
    Have they shown the programme where one of the guests is a South African comedian called Trevor? I think that was his name. I was in the audience for that, and wondered if it ever got broadcast. Strange atmosphere that day, nothing seemed to click.

Was it Trevor Noah? We had a dvd of his and I don't remember him being particularly funny.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Nice quip from Jimmy to Jeremy about avoiding paying tax.

Are the sound crew restricted in what buzzer noises they can use as Alan's has been used before?

Not really outside of normal music/foley restrictions, but what other buzzer noises would you have used for a "kings" theme and what jokey one would you use as the counterpoint?
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    MeicY wrote: »
    Not really outside of normal music/foley restrictions, but what other buzzer noises would you have used for a "kings" theme and what jokey one would you use as the counterpoint?

How about ...

B B King (intro to Lucille) ... Jeremy Clarkson
    Ben E King (intro to Stand By Me) ... Jimmy Carr
    Carole King (intro to It's Too Late) ... Bill Bailey

... and anything by the King's Singers for Alan D! :D
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,883
    Forum Member
    Exactly, or even someone singing Good King Wenceslas. Surely they could have found something different, unless there are huge royalties to be paid for certain sound effects.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found it a bit dull this week. None of the guests seemed capable of coming up with any "Quite Interesting" facts themselves, just reactions to what Fry said.