ANOTHER rock station to start on dab..

Comments

• DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    website seems to be down at moment. Not a good sign.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/eklipsesportsradio.co.uk.html
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's back up now. maybe was just being updated for the launch on Monday.

Far as I know it's still all systems go for next week.
  • Craig KellyCraig Kelly Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Test" is alive and well - maybe Ekclipse is just a keystoke away; lets hope so.

No mention of a launch on the website, but just a passing mention on the FB page.

No 'countdown clock' like the last time which is probably a wise move. We will just have to wait and hear!

Best of luck guys on Monday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes good luck to all.

With Real ended, hopefully Eklipse Sports Radio will take up the mantle of ballsy Scottish content that Real had in its heyday.

This time tomorrow....exciting times!
  • John CollinsJohn Collins Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Have to agree John, there's an opportunity here that the owners could never dreamed of. I hope they have the resources to capitalise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes good luck to all.

With Real ended, hopefully Eklipse Sports Radio will take up the mantle of ballsy Scottish content that Real had in its heyday.

This time tomorrow....exciting times!

After almost 8 months of "Test" let hope they get off to a good start tomorrow. "Test" still showing on the DAB display, no mention on the website and just a line on the FB page - a very soft launch!

On 'ballsy Scottish content' it is ironic that the Real Radio football team can be found on Central FM which is also carried on the Switch Central Scotland Regional mux.

On DAB digital radio, sports fans which have mostly football coverage on Clyde 1 weeknights 6-7pm and Saturdays 2-6pm; Central FM weeknights 6-8pm and Saturdays 2-6pm and BBC Radio Scotland weeknights 6-7pm and Saturdays 11am until 7pm and at other times.

After this week, at the end of the football season, the stations will probably drop their nightly and Saturday afternoon programmes. Perhaps Ekclipse can capitalise on that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuned in on DAB digital radio this morning to find... "Test" still going strong, but at least the music has changed!

Another missed launch date missed, can't remember how many this is now, but a voice-over has just come on to say "Ekclipse Sports Radio launches in 1 day".

So Heart and Ekclipse start on the same day, Tuesday 6th May?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuned in on DAB digital radio this morning to find... "Test" still going strong, but at least the music has changed!

Music still the same on-line as before. Maybe both have been de-coupled and DAB is now running off the studio desk with on-line still this 'create your own radio station app' thingy. Do me a fave, see how on-line compares to DAB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Music still the same on-line as before. Maybe both have been de-coupled and DAB is now running off the studio desk with on-line still this 'create your own radio station app' thingy. Do me a fave, see how on-line compares to DAB.

Two services for the price of one!

The Ekclipse online stream has the old favourite 'Hard Hammer' by Runrig followed by voice-over "Ekclipse Sports Radio goes live in 1 day".

Meanwhile on DAB on "Test" there is a presenter (Chris King) doing some chat on Hearts result over the weekend and then a weather forecast for today and saying welcome to the first day of Ekclipse Sports Radio.

Live chat and poor mic quality, so maybe, Ekclipse Sports Radio has actually started?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is official, Ekclipse Sports Radio has launched and regular live programming commenced this morning, Monday 5th May at 7.00am.

The 9.00am news bulletin formally announced that Ekclipse Sports Radio has started as a brand new radio station for central Scotland. Chris Kane is the breakfast presenter.

On DAB digital radio, "Test" is still displayed and no DLS scrolling text information.

After almost a year of the announcement of the station, it is now a reality.
  • seasiderseasider Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening online on the Tunein app on my ipad and it still seems to be the test transmissions?
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My link on Tunein just seems to be the "going live in one day" line on a loop. Buffering constantly too.
  • seasiderseasider Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    My link on Tunein just seems to be the "going live in one day" line on a loop. Buffering constantly too.

Yes it has now changed to that. Hope it is sounding better on DAB than it is on line
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought id posted earlier but mustv missed the submit button lol- Been listening for a few hrs earlier but have to say I am not too impressed. I know its early but it sounds like an amateur community station at times and the music is breaking up a bit so don't know the bitrate- Football phone in was ok tho the phones were down on their first day- I hope it gets better but I only think I will be popping in n out of shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been listening for a few hrs earlier but have to say I am not too impressed. I know its early but it sounds like an amateur community station at times and the music is breaking up a bit so don't know the bitrate

I dare say I will post fuller comments in a while but from the little bit I heard it has a feel of a very good pro trial RSL. with a mix of available experience and newer people getting first experience.

It was Alex Horsborough's drivetime I caught while getting ready to go out. Alex sounding great I thought....neat and tidy......links based around the songs and the sports back pages etc, and a clip of Ally McCoist talking.. It's heavily formatted with (on that show anyway) '20/20 sport updates' provided by 'behind the scenes' volunteers.

I think the music needs a bit of work doing on it as it lurches around from mid-tempo rock ballads to harder stuff and back again, then into radio pop rock.. Yesterday I heard 'All I Wanna Do' by Heart, then into a very heavy Korn track, then, Al Stewarts 'Time Passages'. Even Alex found it hard to contain his myrth at this, announcing Al as 'and now for something COMPLETELY different'. Well, quite! The overall track selection I rather love though must say.

I like the imaging and the voicer on it.Has a tidy brashness about it that suits the station.

All the best to it and am glad it's finally here. It strikes me as a station with focus and purpose and one that will evolve quickly and give some great opportunities to people along the road.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At long last, the title display now reads Eklipse, which means the station has finally arrived!

No DLS scrolling text, just station title which places it between Clyde 2 and Heart on most DAB digital radio displays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After this week, at the end of the football season, the stations will probably drop their nightly and Saturday afternoon programmes. Perhaps Ekclipse can capitalise on that.

Yes Bill Young show sounding good tonight with lots of chat about the deepening crisis at Rangers.

With Clyde's sport shows going off for the Summer, if the problems at Rangers get worse (i.e. lack of season tickets and possible administration) then this could be a real boon for Eklipse as they would be covering the going-on all the time with Clyde 1 just playing the Summer hits.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Bill Young show sounding good tonight with lots of chat about the deepening crisis at Rangers.

With Clyde's sport shows going off for the Summer, if the problems at Rangers get worse (i.e. lack of season tickets and possible administration) then this could be a real boon for Eklipse as they would be covering the going-on all the time with Clyde 1 just playing the Summer hits.

Unless they can afford a decent marketing campaign (can be clever with use of social media and targeted ads at football grounds etc) then I'm not sure anyone will be listening. Maybe a soft launch makes sense, but this seems very soft indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless they can afford a decent marketing campaign (can be clever with use of social media and targeted ads at football grounds etc) then I'm not sure anyone will be listening. Maybe a soft launch makes sense, but this seems very soft indeed.

It is very 'soft' yes but I would imagine it would be quite easy to generate audience through social media.

Just get the staff and volunteers to sign up to various fansites as 'regular users' join in the chat, and then slip in things like 'oh my God you won't believe what Bill Young or whoever is saying on Eklipse Sports Radio' then provide a link.

To me the easiest way for them to build an audience is to focus constantly on the Rangers crisis, have their people sign up to 'follow follow' ,similar Celtic ones, and so on, reference the station and Bob's your Uncle.....target 30k reach in the bag.

Easy peasy. Might even do it myself just for fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tuned in on DAB to hear what late night was like and have been met with silence!

Either the playout has stopped or the link has failed to the mux centre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tuned in on DAB to hear what late night was like and have been met with silence!

Nothing on-line either. Some studio issue, maybe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tuned in in Falkirk on car dab n yep silent. Hope its just a hitch. They're not having much luck are they? Could this be one of the shortest radio stations on air?
  • Media PrincessMedia Princess Posts: 119
    Forum Member

Seems to be running fine this morning and it's now available on Tunein too :)
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be running fine this morning and it's now available on Tunein too :)

The must have fed the hamster again then.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a good listen to it today and it's plain that all the people on air have a genuine interest in football and sport. Presenter links either mostly talking about current sports stuff or doing links/features that reference the past sports-wise.

Bill Young football phone-in hit the spot tonight. One call from a phone-in regular (Bill from Motherwell-diehard Rangers fan) and a couple of contributions from people at matches last night. Mostly Bill and Paul debating footy stuff. Great! Nae endless ads and 10 callers in a row saying the same thing like on Clyde. To me the lack of calls is an advantage as it's then just a two-headed talker with planning and flow.

What baffles me is why they are trying to also pitch themselves as a rock station though. This is the type of thing a station who had won an analogue licence on that basis would have to do But since they don't have that restriction then why add this 'heavy rock' burden to themselves?

To be sure it makes sense to play tunes that match the demo they are targetting, and that means AOR radio rock which is what they mostly play!

But I just don't see the need for heavy tracks by the likes of Korn and Feeder as it just alienates the audience and reminds me of QFM circa 2001.

This is a 'content is king' type station so why stray beyond radio friendly on the ear tracks?