What should I make of this?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
Forum Member
I saw a discussion on a friends fb about her not getting a dr's appt for a few weeks, then saw someone who I do know off from another site comment with something, this is the comment:

(name withheld) - you your family have been paying national insurance - taxes for years - others not paid a penny into system - if we want to see a doctor on the day we have to queue from 7 in the morning - i was up at mine earlier - ¬ 4 people in queue - me and 3 foreign people who could hardly speak english if any - i was there because dr had gotten prescription wrong¬ - the others all signing up to surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!! none had put into system - when we cant get an effing appt - we have had tv - radio papers here - ridiculous.

My response: How do you know if they have paid into the system? Just because they are "foreign" how can you assume? I see that as racist, would you have complained if it was 3 white people? My mother has been here since 1967 and worked non stop till retirement and paid her dues like my father did, yet if she is with one of her friends they will naturally speak their mother tongue.

The response she gave troubled me espec the last line:
See - thats what we get 0 I am leaving the post (name withheld) - I am not racist - just pointing out you should get for putting into system - and not expect - dont bully me into silence - we have had enough - and i say we -

I said because of the ignorance I am deleting my posts and did and stepped away leaving her to her vile rant.

Really what is happening to society? am I not seeing this clearly or am I being naive?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are right, and the other person was being racist.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    fatal kiss wrote: »
    I saw a discussion on a friends fb about her not getting a dr's appt for a few weeks, then saw someone who I do know off from another site comment with something, this is the comment:

(name withheld) - you your family have been paying national insurance - taxes for years - others not paid a penny into system - if we want to see a doctor on the day we have to queue from 7 in the morning - i was up at mine earlier - ¬ 4 people in queue - me and 3 foreign people who could hardly speak english if any - i was there because dr had gotten prescription wrong¬ - the others all signing up to surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!! none had put into system - when we cant get an effing appt - we have had tv - radio papers here - ridiculous.

My response: How do you know if they have paid into the system? Just because they are "foreign" how can you assume? I see that as racist, would you have complained if it was 3 white people? My mother has been here since 1967 and worked non stop till retirement and paid her dues like my father did, yet if she is with one of her friends they will naturally speak their mother tongue.

See - thats what we get 0 I am leaving the post (name withheld) - I am not racist - just pointing out you should get for putting into system - and not expect - dont bully me into silence - we have had enough - and i say we -

I said because of the ignorance I am deleting my posts and did and stepped away leaving her to her vile rant.

Really what is happening to society? am I not seeing this clearly or am I being naive?

I should leave well alone, whether you agree or not. Sometimes posts and comments like these can really make us feel very despondent and I now try to ignore all the moaning and criticism of our society and enjoy life. After all, life is what you make it, and if you get caught up in this sort of thing you will find yourself becoming very miserable. Think positive :D
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

oh the old "im nit racist" but!!!!! she sounds like it to me, she has no proof none of them have paid in, anyway everyone has a right to medical attention don't they, if someone on my Facebook friends list started that nonsense with me i would unfriend them, not putting up with bigots
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could make a thread on DS out of it I suppose.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is nothing you should make of it. What you decide to make of it is unimportant really.

Edit in an effort o be less of a dick:

What I'm trying to say to say is that I don't know you or your friend or what sort of relationship you have with them and if you tried to post about it I couldn't really know, it would just be a brief description on an internet forum.

If you're asking what you should think, a correct answer would mean that there's a clear and defined best course of action. As I don't know enough about the situation and won't know enough about it, I don't believe there is an obvious answer here.

Ultimately whatever you do or don't do will probably not be life-changing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    You could make a thread on DS out of it I suppose.

Always one with a smart comment, If you have nothing to add just move on, I really wanted some advice on this as it troubled me, the above comments were helpful thank you.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet her doctor is white British, otherwise she ought to be complaining at her GP for the incorrect prescription that forced her to queue at the surgery in the first place.
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair it sounds like they are describing my doctors and yes you can normally tell who has/hasn't put into the system when your behind them in the chemist and they are getting free prescriptions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    I bet her doctor is white British, otherwise she ought to be complaining at her GP for the incorrect prescription that forced her to queue at the surgery in the first place.

Now that sounds like a racist comment if ever there was one :o
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Now that sounds like a racist comment if ever there was one :o

Just re-read my post, oops :o Replace the word "ought" with "would".

Sorry, as you were.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Always one with a smart comment, If you have nothing to add just move on, I really wanted some advice on this as it troubled me, the above comments were helpful thank you.

Why on earth has it "troubled" you?

It's just a comment on Facebook.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    BZR wrote: »
    To be fair it sounds like they are describing my doctors and yes you can normally tell who has/hasn't put into the system when your behind them in the chemist and they are getting free prescriptions.

Eh? You mean to say if I lose my job or become entitled to free prescriptions and you are behind me in the queue you will automatically assume I have just morphed into existence the day before and will not have paid any taxes or VAT on goods?
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Why on earth has it "troubled" you?

It's just a comment on Facebook.

I understand that, and rarely use fb but it troubled me as I have a 2 year old and her having mixed parents i dread to think what society will be like as she grows up.

I feel uncomfortable as a british born asian when I see people acting like this as I feel sometimes society doesn't want me here, when this is the only home I have and know.

It's a hard one to explain, sorry If I don't make sense, in my everyday life I never think of my colour but when I see that type of comment I think *oh*,

Sorry for confusing.
    Forum Member
    I have no religion, I left home at 13, With the ongoing issues with muslim extremists, I feel like many asians I know that we all get tarred with the same brush. Regardless of religion of race.

Again apologies for ramble
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What should you make of it? Well, people are - generally speaking* - total idiots. If you didn't know that already this confirms it.

* there are exceptions where an individual is capable of doing something sensible or intelligent, the such instances are so rare they are statistically irrelevant.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member

How would you know why they get free prescriptions?

I've put into the system for the last 28 years, but I also get free prescriptions due to medical conditions that qualify for a medical exemption certificate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pedant Alert - if the person is reacting on the grounds of "foreign", then that's Xenophobia, which is even worse.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    How would you know why they get free prescriptions?

I've put into the system for the last 28 years, but I also get free prescriptions due to medical conditions that qualify for a medical exemption certificate.

And as well as this, I've 'paid in' since I was 17 but received free prescriptions during my pregnancy and the year after. My son also gets free prescriptions but being a child is unable to take them to the pharmacy himself so I have to do it for him.

Free prescriptions do not mean someone has never paid NI!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    Eh? You mean to say if I lose my job or become entitled to free prescriptions and you are behind me in the queue you will automatically assume I have just morphed into existence the day before and will not have paid any taxes or VAT on goods?

Since the OP was on about foreign people, you would assume they have an accent, so yes if somebody infront of me with a FOREIGN accent was recieving a free prescription I would wonder why is it free? What have they actually put in?

However I think the same about white Jeremy Kyle families^_^
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most racists are thick chavs and that racist was just being opportunistic.

I went to the local GP surgery once. Most people there were elderly white people who are probably there every day. It's like a social club for them. They clog up the surgery. If their illnesses are real and not just made up so they have an excuse to be there, they're probably not as bad as they claim.
    Forum Member
    Since the OP was on about foreign people, you would assume they have an accent, so yes if somebody infront of me with a FOREIGN accent was recieving a free prescription I would wonder why is it free? What have they actually put in?

I know lots of people with non-British accents who work and put their share into the system....
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people, when they're angry, lash out verbally and in order to lash out they need a scapegoat. 'Foreigners' can be an easy (and irrelevant) target. Some people really show themselves up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I know lots of people with non-British accents who work and put their share into the system....

They wouldn't be getting free prescriptions then would they, hence no need to mention them :confused:
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? My dad never lost his accent and came over in the 50s. Worked all his life and was entitled to free prescriptions towards the end of it. What on earth would make you assume otherwise?
    Forum Member
    They wouldn't be getting free prescriptions then would they, hence no need to mention them :confused:

But they may also have reasons for getting free prescriptions, same as I do, so there was a need to mention them... :)