Proposing to my girlfriend (Advice from Women)

CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend on valentines day, and I have planned out in my head how i am going to do it, so I will explain, and please let me know what you think about it, is there anything I should or shouldn't do.

So, I was thinking of finding a way to get her out of the house for 15 minutes or so (ask her to nip to the shop or something), then when she returns, she will start to hear the music of Percy Sledge - When a man loves a women Then I will walk into the room wearing a tux, and holding a rose, with the ring in the blazer pocket, then I will make a little speech confessing my love for her, then pull the ring out of my pocket, and open the box as i get down on one knee, then ask her to marry me

What do you think? Does it seem too cheesy?

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are girls really bothered about how "romantic" it is.

if you want to marry her, why wait - just ask her now, and then take her to pick an engagement ring.

I wouldn't pre-buy a ring - I am sure shw would like to pick her own.

good luck, anyway. many happy years together.

(male perspective, though)
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow lucky girl :D

ds wedding party online i think ... no hats needed ... jammies & a crate of drinks lol :p
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think girls do like some romance ... not just heres ur cuppa we might as well get married!!! but why wait till feb, she might expect that ... surprise her in jan in place u met, fav restaurant etc ... and let us know x
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    i think girls do like some romance ... not just heres ur cuppa we might as well get married!!! but why wait till feb, she might expect that ... surprise her in jan in place u met, fav restaurant etc ... and let us know x

Well I was thinking of doing it on her birthday (Feb 11th) or valentines day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CuBz90 wrote: »
    Well I was thinking of doing it on her birthday (Feb 11th) or valentines day

Why not do it on her birthday, do you plan on having a party?

How long have you been together?
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Why not do it on her birthday, do you plan on having a party?

How long have you been together?

I thought valentines day would be more romantic
    We don't really do birthday parties lol, and we've been together for 2 and a half years, and just had a baby boy in december :)
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errrm, it does seem really cheesy to me. A chap at my work proposed to his girlf by taking her on a day trip to whitstable beach and then had champagne and oysters on hand should she say yes, which i think was really lovely and memorable, but then you know your girlfriend better than anyone on here and if you think she would like it, then go for it. Also valentines day is a little predictable, so stick to her birthday, though if you really want to do it, I agree with the others, what's stopping you doing it now? Any day will be romantic as you're proposing to her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought valentines day would be more romantic
    We don't really do birthday parties lol, and we've been together for 2 and a half years, and just had a baby boy in december :)

Well I hope she says "yes":D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend on valentines day, and I have planned out in my head how i am going to do it, so I will explain, and please let me know what you think about it, is there anything I should or shouldn't do.

So, I was thinking of finding a way to get her out of the house for 15 minutes or so (ask her to nip to the shop or something), then when she returns, she will start to hear the music of Percy Sledge - When a man loves a women Then I will walk into the room wearing a tux, and holding a rose, with the ring in the blazer pocket, then I will make a little speech confessing my love for her, then pull the ring out of my pocket, and open the box as i get down on one knee, then ask her to marry me

Aww Cubz I always dreamt of you asking me,good luck mate and hope it works out,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it sound cheesy?
    Um... honestly, yes. But that kind of thing depends on the girl. She might love it. But if my boyfriend was playing that song (which unless you know she likes it, don't play; it's absolutely dreadful) wearing a tuxedo I'd be a bit thrown off by it all. But I'm not that type of girl at all; the type who goes for all that classic 'romance' concept, and it all sounds a bit too contrived in my opinion.

But you know your girlfriend, not us. Like I said, she could love it. I know I would hate it though; it's very un-me and I'd hope my boyfriend would know me well enough to know that.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yeah it`s dead cheesy, but you`re making a massive effort, which is lovely, so i`m sure she`ll love it whether or not.

how sweet.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Oh bless you, it sounds very sweet, but I think your the best person to answer whether you think your GF will like the gesture. Is she a romantic?
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheesetastic. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errrm, it does seem really cheesy to me. A chap at my work proposed to his girlf by taking her on a day trip to whitstable beach and then had champagne and oysters on hand should she say yes, which i think was really lovely and memorable, but then you know your girlfriend better than anyone on here and if you think she would like it, then go for it. Also valentines day is a little predictable, so stick to her birthday, though if you really want to do it, I agree with the others, what's stopping you doing it now? Any day will be romantic as you're proposing to her!

Whitstable beach, very nice :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitstable beach, very nice :D

I think it is, bit quirky:) it's also beautiful at sunset, but then not everyone appreciates that sort of thing which is why the OP should decide what he thinks his girlfriend would like more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is, bit quirky:) it's also beautiful at sunset, but then not everyone appreciates that sort of thing which is why the OP should decide what he thinks his girlfriend would like more.

I've got to admit the sunrises and sunsets are beautiful along the coast. I'm just down the road from there in Herne Bay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got to admit the sunrises and sunsets are beautiful along the coast. I'm just down the road from there in Herne Bay.

They certainly are. I would definately prefer that over a man in a tux with a Rose and some cheesy song in the background, for starters, I would wonder who abducted my other half!:eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They certainly are. I would definately prefer that over a man in a tux with a Rose and some cheesy song in the background, for starters, I would wonder who abducted my other half!:eek::D

hahaha :D
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds a bit too cheesey to me too!

I say go for her birthday, Valentines she might suspect it. Cook her a meal (get rid of the baby for the night!) make the night all about her!
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't do it on either Valentine's Day or her birthday,

Choose another date that will be special just to the two of you.
  • MarkyJMarkyJ Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I proposed last summer. We got a take away meal and I took her to our favourite beach to eat and watch the sunset. It was all very casual so she had no idea but also a lovely evening and really romantic. The beach was deserted and it was just us two there.

The day before I hid a bottle on the beach with a scroll inside; decorated with shells and a ribbon. I waited until the right moment and told her the angels might of left something and pointed to the area where it was. While she was doing that I got the ring out of my bag and waited. She came back and read the scroll which said how much she means to me and other mushy words. I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me. She said yes, I took out the champagne and flutes and we toasted our future together and cuddled up as the sun set over the sea.

I didn't want the obvious where she might of expected me to do it. It was a huge surprise and she loved it. It doesn't have to be expensive, just memorable and special to the both of you. Good luck...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I would hate to be proposed to on any special date (i.e. my birthday, Christmas, Valentines day etc) I'd like to think it's going to be special and thus don't want it to take the shine away from any of these. But the general idea is really sweet :)
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say let her choose the ring though. If I chose for my wife, it would no doubt have been something from Argos. She actually chose a 1930's ring from an auction sale and loves it! So unless you are absolutely certain what sort of ring she would like try and find a way to give her the choice.

As others have said, you know her best and although it might be cheesy she will remember you making a big effort. I proposed without ceremony in our kitchen with a bunch of flowers from the local garage, and have been reminded of it on occasions and marked down for my lack of effort or imagination :(
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    MarkyJ wrote: »
    I proposed last summer. We got a take away meal and I took her to our favourite beach to eat and watch the sunset. It was all very casual so she had no idea but also a lovely evening and really romantic. The beach was deserted and it was just us two there.

The day before I hid a bottle on the beach with a scroll inside; decorated with shells and a ribbon. I waited until the right moment and told her the angels might of left something and pointed to the area where it was. While she was doing that I got the ring out of my bag and waited. She came back and read the scroll which said how much she means to me and other mushy words. I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me. She said yes, I took out the champagne and flutes and we toasted our future together and cuddled up as the sun set over the sea.

I didn't want the obvious where she might of expected me to do it. It was a huge surprise and she loved it. It doesn't have to be expensive, just memorable and special to the both of you. Good luck...

Ah, now that is romantic - I'm welling up here!
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Go for it. This will make a memory for you both. And you SHOULD be slushy and cheesy and romantic when you propose.
    Hope all goes well!