Options

Weekend away in Edinburgh in March

PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there I am looking to go away in March for a weekedlnd to Edinburgh to do such things as the zoo and the castle etc

However, I have no idea where to stay. Do I go for hotel or guesthouse? Do I stay in city centre or outskirts? My budget is 150£ for the accomodation that weekend.

Maybe you guys have recommendations/friends/websites to help me?

I would ideally like a double bed and bath if possible.

Thanks in advance xx

Comments

• Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Travelodge if you don't mind basic but clean.

They have a sale on now.
  • Options
    simps100simps100 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I go up fairly often for work, would very much recommend The Royal Terrace hotel, its very central (10 min walk from princess street) and a lovely location. Rooms are also very nice and the breakfast ive had there is also pretty decent.

http://www.primahotels.co.uk/royal/default-en.html
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    How old are you? Who are you going with? What standards do you have? :p

Me and 3 mates went to the festival last year and stayed in a hostel. It was perfectly fine for us.
    http://www.smartcityhostels.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    27 its with a close male friend (good description!?!) for my birthday!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simps100 wrote: »
    I go up fairly often for work, would very much recommend The Royal Terrace hotel, its very central (10 min walk from princess street) and a lovely location. Rooms are also very nice and the breakfast ive had there is also pretty decent.

Thanks for this just looking now. Much appreciated x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I recently stayed at the Best Western Bruntsfield Hotel for 2 nights B&B for that. Very nice place, easy walk to the castle, museum or other end of the Royal Mile. Check out prices on the hotels own site, Best Western site and Booking.com as they vary wildly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    simps100 wrote: »

Another vote for the Royal Terrace. I stayed there a few years ago for a weekend and it was lovely. Very handy for the theatre if there is anything decent on whilst you are there.
  • Options
    smokeybaconsmokeybacon Posts: 5,113
    Forum Member
    Late Rooms.com is worth checking.
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I stayed in Travelodge central for £12 a night, you can get if for £15 without any sales. Hotel is basic but less than a year old so still nice and tidy. The location is 2 minute walk from the centre,and a manageable 10 minute walk from free parking if your going by car (meter parking is everywhere in the centre and extortionately priced).

Probably not what you're looking for but it gives you plenty more money to spend out and about, you'll certainly need it for some of the places.
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a very nice Premier Inn at Haymarket, very central and the rooms are nice. I would advise you to avoid the zoo. It's very expensive and because it's built on a very steep hill, it can be a real pain to get around. You have to book to see the pandas and pay extra on top of an already very hefty entrance fee. Trust me, it's boring, stinky and not worth the money.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another vote for travelodge lots to do and see in edinburgh so your probably not going to be in your hotel much
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my friends stayed at the premier inn last weekend and said it was great, the zoo is a very steep hill but last time i was there they had jeeps that take you around and you can hop on and off
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    check dates - any 6 nation rugby weekends avoid as you wont get booked in anywhere
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 minute walk from free parking if your going by car (meter parking is everywhere in the centre and extortionately priced).

Free Parking in Edinburgh City Centre, tell me where please ?
  • Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are using buses its worth buying a day ticket (£3.50) on the first bus you get on, then its unlimited travel all day.
  • Options
    Egg MonsterEgg Monster Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    There's a very nice Premier Inn at Haymarket, very central and the rooms are nice. I would advise you to avoid the zoo. It's very expensive and because it's built on a very steep hill, it can be a real pain to get around. You have to book to see the pandas and pay extra on top of an already very hefty entrance fee. Trust me, it's boring, stinky and not worth the money.

I went to the zoo in September, and I agree that the entrance fee is much like the zoo itself - pretty steep. However, whilst I had to book a time slot to see the pandas, I certainly didn't have to pay any extra.

OP - when I went we stayed at a travelodge, just off the Royal Mile. It was basic, but cheap, in the city centre and a reasonable walking distance to almost anywhere you'd want to go. I suppose it depends on what you want to do whilst you're there - travelodges are great for a simple place to sleep, but if you want to stay in your room for any length of time outside sleeping, another hotel may be a better bet.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Can't beat Travelodge or Premiere Inn for cheap and cheerful. If you fancy splashing out for a bit of luxury,The Witchery is fabulous.

http://www.thewitchery.com/

I love Edinburgh Zoo. Won't hear a word against it! (but the hill is a bastard). :p
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the zoo in September, and I agree that the entrance fee is much like the zoo itself - pretty steep. However, whilst I had to book a time slot to see the pandas, I certainly didn't have to pay any extra.

Yes, there's no extra charge for the pandas. I wouldn't say 15 quid for a big zoo was all that bad - there's plenty to see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Try easy-breaks.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member

OP - when I went we stayed at a travelodge, just off the Royal Mile. It was basic, but cheap, in the city centre and a reasonable walking distance to almost anywhere you'd want to go. I suppose it depends on what you want to do whilst you're there - travelodges are great for a simple place to sleep, but if you want to stay in your room for any length of time outside sleeping, another hotel may be a better bet.

No extra charge for the pandas as far as I know, you just have to book a time and there is a safari bus that will take you to the top of the hill and you just walk down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Wishing the spring would hurry up I now want to go back to the zoo. Haven't been for ages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all responses guys. Think I am going to go for the Royal terrace - £198 for 2 nights with a three course meal one night and breakfast both mornings included.

Thanks all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary King's Close is also a good way to spend an hour or so. The Old Town was built on top of an old city, much of it closed off or inaccessible now but this is one of the few such underground places open for tours. It's not a scary affair with ghoulies jumping out at you from the shadows, it's more informative and very historical. (Avoid the Vaults tours as they are just empty, stone rooms under a bridge.)

Good choice in Royal Terrace - on the edge of Calton Hill so some great views a minute's walk away, with plenty to see and do nearby. Closest decent bar to that would be the Theatre Royal just down from the Playhouse.

I live 5 mins walk from Royal Terrace so if I see an Essex Princess staggering around with a kebab at 3am smashing up phone boxes in the area I'll know it's you! :D

Have a good time. Oh, and there's more to the zoo than the pandas, there's, erm, penguins too....!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    27 its with a close male friend (good description!?!) for my birthday!

You want to stay as close to the center as poss then.

Look at the hotels on George st.

Le monde
    http://www.lemondehotel.co.uk/

The George
    http://www.edinburghgeorgehotel.co.uk/

Or you can stay at the travel lodge on the royal mile.
    http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/205/Edinburgh-Central-hotel

^^^ Clean and VERY central to everything. The royal mile is the main tourist bit lots of fab pubs and beautiful edinburgh archtecture. and cheap.

Or you could stay down grass market
    http://www.grassmarket.net/

Edinburgh is small. It is not a huge city. If you are only up for a few days stay central.

Royal mile. Grassmarket. George street. West end (the rutland hotel is nice)

Or you have george the 4th bridge....http://www.hotelmissoni.com/

There are TONS of fab b&Bs in edinburgh.

Have fun, edinburgh is amazing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    TIP: DO NOT STAY IN HAYMARKET or the west end at the moment as it is a traffic nightmare HELL due to the tram works. You want to stay in the east of princess street or the old town.