Options

Eurovision 2013

silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
Forum Member
I see that Bonnie Tyler has been chosen to represent the UK at the Eurovision song contest. I have become so cynical about it over the past few years. Everything has changed out of all recognition - the rules, the ways of voting, the countries which are eligible (didn't know Israel was part of Europe) - the whole thing has become a farce. The UK's entry every year has become an embarassment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21697205

What do others think?

Do you consider the Eurovision Song Contest has become an embarassment? 143 votes

Yes - it should be scrapped
9%
psionicScubyasp746vodkamargarineKellerpsychedelicToriamathBellaRosa[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]Flat Mattmackara 13 votes
No - it's good fun
47%
gottagoAlex482eugenespeedLisa.Bmossy2103[Deleted User]CarlLewisLudwigVonDrakeApple_CrumbleStarsailingdaddy66big bro geekLyricalissilversox[Deleted User][Deleted User]BigBmadEllieG[Deleted User]goroos1994 68 votes
A younger, talented artist should represent the UK
24%
Jason CpsionicHotelierjesayasilversox[Deleted User]goroos1994vauxhall1964[Deleted User]Edwin Okli[Deleted User]Jonni_boiSuperAPJ21stCenturyBoycurvybabesSagand42WeeblesWobblebookclub10[Deleted User]steeleuro_wolf 35 votes
We should find a better way to choose
18%
aotr64Starsailingsilversoxstargazer61goroos1994Edwin Okli[Deleted User]cnbcwatcherJonni_boiSuperAPJcontejascat's whiskasAda RabbleTeddybleadsWeeblesWobblesteeleuro_wolf[Deleted User][Deleted User]HenryVIIICelticMyth 27 votes

Comments

• Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, other countries like it, maybe it's just for us any more?
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's already a forum devoted to Eurovision

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=253
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I like it after when we come near the bottom and people are moaning how we were robbed and it's all bias when it's just the fact we had a rubbish song/singer or both
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its awfully bad, and great fun to watch when rather merry :D

I'm thinking about having a Eurovision Party this year! :cool: ( really :o ) :D
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - it's good fun
    The whole thing is a farce. If you take it seriously you must be bonkers.
    It's a good laugh though.
  • Options
    Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The countries that like each other and that are neighbouring one another vote for each other, since nobody likes us and our neighbours Ireland and France can't stand us, we will be getting nil points fairly regularly, yet again.
    Stopped watching in a few years back having previously being a slavish viewer.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - it's good fun
    Bonnie Tyler is the - EVERY NOW AND THEN I FALL APAAARRRTT! AND I NEEEDDDD YOU MOOOOREEEE THAAAAN EVEEEERRRRR! ♫ ...lady right?

She's cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - it's good fun
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    The countries that like each other and that are neighbouring one another vote for each other, since nobody likes us and our neighbours Ireland and France can't stand us, we will be getting nil points fairly regularly, yet again.
    Stopped watching in a few years back having previously being a slavish viewer.

Good old Slavia, where did they come last year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - it's good fun
    sweh wrote: »
    Bonnie Tyler is the - EVERY NOW AND THEN I FALL APAAARRRTT! AND I NEEEDDDD YOU MOOOOREEEE THAAAAN EVEEEERRRRR! ♫ ...lady right?

She's cool.

I think she also lost her way in the dordogne once too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    collit wrote: »
    Good old Slavia, where did they come last year?

Where the sun don't shine :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't take the Eurovision song contest seriously. It's a laugh though! I remember laughing that year when one country's song was "We are the Winners of Eurovision" and they weren't even close to winning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »

She's cool.

She sounds like she's gargling a razor blade cocktail
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Eurovision is, is a jolly for TV executives
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite its horrors, I quite like it :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I liked Terry Wogan in the later years getting upset over us doing so badly despite the fact it was a great song and act even though he was the only person who watched it (Including the UK) who thought so
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    No - it's good fun
    If we want to win we've got to send a top star with a stop song. If we sent Adele with a top song, we'd utterly walk it. Many other countries are sending their top talent/most popular singers. We aren't.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    I see that Bonnie Tyler has been chosen to represent the UK at the Eurovision song contest. I have become so cynical about it over the past few years. Everything has changed out of all recognition - the rules, the ways of voting, the countries which are eligible (didn't know Israel was part of Europe) - the whole thing has become a farce. The UK's entry every year has become an embarassment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21697205

What do others think?
    Strange the British entry is still called the U.K entry when N.I does not represent the U.K in eurovision, perhaps it should be called GB like the olympics team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    If we want to win we've got to send a top star with a stop song. If we sent Adele with a top song, we'd utterly walk it. Many other countries are sending their top talent/most popular singers. We aren't.

To be fair most of our top stars wouldn't want to risk if if they did bad it could effect their careers.

if we send a nobody or former star who hasn't been relevant for 30 years they aren't taking ant risks at worse they are no worse off then they are now at best it may get them a start or a revived career for a few months
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    Scrap it. We will never win again so why bother.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I love Bonnie Tyler. She was the reason for this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj-x9ygQEGA
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not the same without Terry Wogan's sarcastic commentary during the results.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should send some complete and utter shite cheese act, the type that the other countries do.
    Or have a heavy metal act, lead singer a really stunning woman in corset with really hairy guitar players etc- that type of act is quite successful from memory.

Or a traditional folk type bunch.

Its all a joke, so there's no point in us taking it seriously in the slightest. We haven't a hope in hello chance of winning as nobody likes us ( like we care anyway!) so let's just take the pee good and proper.

Eta- totally agree about it not being the same without Terry Wogan. I miss his comments as he got gradually more pissed :D
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    The political voting argument sour Brits trot out when the song (deservedly) finishes in the bottom half is hilarious.

Do you REALLY think people in Russia, Serbia, Greece, Ukraine, Latvia wherever sit at home and think "well, I agree with the Turkish stance on immigration, so I'll give them points, but as for the UK's foreign policy, well, they can forget getting points from me"

If anything, the voting is cultural. The reason ex-Yugoslav states tend to vote for each other is because they share a music scene- if a singer who is a megastar in Bosnia, Slovenia, Croatia and Macedonia is sent by Serbia, of course they'll get more points than a singer who came 9th on X Factor UK, simply because the Serbian singer has had more hits in those countries, and is a big name.

It doesn't take that much working out. Eurovision costs less for the BBC to enter than one half hour of Holby City.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I think we should send some complete and utter shite cheese act, the type that the other countries do.
    Or have a heavy metal act, lead singer a really stunning woman in corset with really hairy guitar players etc- that type of act is quite successful from memory.

Or a traditional folk type bunch.

Its all a joke, so there's no point in us taking it seriously in the slightest. We haven't a hope in hello chance of winning as nobody likes us ( like we care anyway!) so let's just take the pee good and proper.

Eta- totally agree about it not being the same without Terry Wogan. I miss his comments as he got gradually more pissed :D

Except they don't, anymore.

Most countries now send stuff that tops their chart beforehand, and more often than not goes on to chart across Europe, and even in Asia and Australia.

The UK can't be bothered because of our superiority complex when it comes to all things European.

If we dropped out, our repugnant, arrogant attitude wouldn't be missed.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »
    The countries that like each other and that are neighbouring one another vote for each other, since nobody likes us and our neighbours Ireland and France can't stand us, .

you clearly know nothing, Ireland is the country that has given us most points over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest