Strange memory from childhood re illness.

2»

Comments

• VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get this disgusting feeling when I was ill when young. When I'm ill now I sometimes experience it. It's the large small thing. I would always see a ball and it would be either to small or to big and I would feel physically sick! Disgusting! It's hard to explain though.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what felt too! It's a difficult feeling to convey.
  • littlemadangellittlemadangel Posts: 4,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I was a child and unwell, having a feeling that the bedroom was closing in on me, either that or the door and everything else being really far away from me. I also had this recurring dream, again always when I was unwell, that I was making a blanket and the person I was making it for just kept growing and growing and I could never make it big enough! It was horrible.
  • sunsetbeachsunsetbeach Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How bizarre about this big/small thing I never had that but, now I've been reading through I've remembered more details similar to other poster, the pattern on my curtains and my wallpaper would be huge and I'd feel I was like in it!
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to get the big room hallucination too - I'd wake up, and my mind would just decide that the room was massive (football pitch sized at least!), and if I looked at the door it felt as if it was getting further and further away!
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Lewis Carrol had this happen to him as a child and that is what gave him the idea for Alice in Wonderland getting bigger or smaller when she ate or drank various items?
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember feeling that my bed was spinning around. That was due to dizziness caused by the illness.
  • EmilyJEGEmilyJEG Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe so many people experienced the big/small thing! I thought I was just weird haha :D

It's like the difference been a huge ball sculpture sitting next to a pea, or trying to thread a skipping rope through a needle. Even now it makes me feel a bit queasy. I spent a long time trying to figure out when the problem first arose, and I'd feel like I'd almost worked it out when the memory disappeared again! Very bizarre!
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Lewis Carrol had this happen to him as a child and that is what gave him the idea for Alice in Wonderland getting bigger or smaller when she ate or drank various items?

Funnily enough you should mention that .I would always associate with Alice as I experienced the big/small thingy too .I would feel the mattress growing HUGE and I would get smaller and smaller until I was only a pinhead dot on the mattress .I now presume it was when I was ill or had a high temperature .
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've suffered from migraines since I was five, and I remember one really bad one I had. My mum was sitting right next to me in bed, yet I couldn't see her and thought she was the other side of the room. I also had hallucinations of loads of small men marching up the stairs towards to my room. That freaked me the hell out.

I also remember having dreams where I thought I'd woken up, and I'd shout out to my mum, but nothing came out.
  • Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    As a child I used to have an reoccurring dream of big bright green and black swirling figure of eight patterns which used to terrify me. But if I got past this part of the dream there was always a gold trunk full of glittering goodies for me. I didn't often get past the scarey part though!
  • BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I shared a bedroom with my sister and every now and again one of us would say 'It's going to be a brown night'.
    That meant there would be a faint brown colour to the air rather than black night and we would both see huge flat circles which we'd describe as biscuits with currants in or cheese with holes in coming towards us.
    Everything I touched would feel rock hard - the bed, pillow, everything.

Odd that one of us could set the other off.

I have been able to recreate it as an adult and it scared the life out of me.
  • Billy BunterBilly Bunter Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I'm another big/small hallucinator! I used to dread it when I started feeling ill, as I knew it was coming. It was always slightly warped but it generally took the form of me being in the corner of my bedroom, which had grown to about 50 times its size, and a giant ball in the far corner gradually heading my way, criss-crossing the room. I feel the ball may have been plasticene!

Genuinely, one day when I was on holiday as a kid, I told myself it wasn't going to happen anymore (I actually said it out loud to myself!) and it never really did! Every now and again I've seen the situation when I've been half-asleep, doesn't bother me now, but it brings back horrible memories!
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once read the autobiography of the children's author Alan Garner. He describes seeing all kinds of strange things in his bedroom when he was very ill as a child. He nearly died several times and although I can't remember exactly what he said he saw now, I know I thought it sounded very odd.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I all of a sudden remembered something that used to happen to me when I was a child and wondered if anyone else ever experienced this, it's really hard to explain so ill just try and maybe someone knows of it of what caused it, but basically when I was poorly as a child either with a cold or sickness I'd be lying down in bed and I'd have this kind of tunnel experience, it's as if I was travelling through a tunnel at 100mph and I could never 'stop' myself, things were whizzing past me, but it wasn't my vision if you get me it was kind of in my head, it really used to scare me at the time because as much as I tried to stop it it happened even more, and it was only when I was feeling under the weather, really weird and never experienced it as an adult, perhaps it was hallucinations or something anyway hope someone can shed some light!

OMG ! :eek: Exactly the same happened to me when I was eight years old in the early sixties and was very ill in bed with some sort of nasty virus.
    The tunnel was square though with intersections of lighted squares racing towards me and I was travelling at high speed through it never getting the end.
    I also think it could have been some sort of hallucinogenic medication.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re: the big/small effect. When I was young (but not very young - maybe 10 or 11), we had an old-fashioned valve radio at home. For some reason I think it was on a window ledge on the upstairs landing. I remember clearly walking up the stairs one night and being very aware of how big and heavy it was. It was a strange sensation unlike any other normal awareness. I can imagine that it was similar to when someone on drugs becomes acutely aware of otherwise unremarkable things, except of course I was sober.
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading through this, as I've just been diagnosed (today) with Alice in Wonderland syndrome (also known as Todd's syndrome).

It's very strange and my perception of big/ small and space/distance is altered. Also touch and hearing. It's very trippy.

I never had it when younger though. Apparently it's common in kids. All I know is that it's driving me mad.

I've been thinking I've gone crazy and also been thinking it was something spiritual. Been a bit scary really. At least there's an explanation now but my doc doesn't know why I have it (though it could be linked to my MS) and said there's no treatment.

Ah well, people pay money on drugs to feel like this, so I shan't moan too much. :/