Options

Blocked Bath :(

sunsetbeachsunsetbeach Posts: 1,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please help!

Normally if the bath is gonna block then when we're having a shower and it gets to ankle level we put some Buster unblocker and it sorts it. No such warning and tonight the bath is not budging. I put some Buster unblocker in the water over an hour ago after plungering for ages! But nothing! Do you think it will work overnight? It's not moved an inch.

What else can I try?

Comments

• Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what causes it to block?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you done the obvious and what should be the first resort before chemicals and used a plunger?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Have you done the obvious and what should be the first resort before chemicals and used a plunger?

It says they did in the OP...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    It says they did in the OP...

Yes my other half spent an hour with the plunger. He was getting rather grumpy so I went to the shops for some chemicals!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Do you know what causes it to block?

No as I said it normally gets to a point where we can tell but the shower drained this morning no problem but after giving my son a bath we took out the plug and nothing! I can't go to work without having a shower in the morning!
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Are you able to get a bowl under the U bend and get it undone? Failing that it may dissolve overnight. so give it a little while.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Does everything else drain? Is the bath on the ground floor, in which case it could be a blocked sewer.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Can you access the waste pipe underneath?

If you can, disconnect the u-bend trap, clear it out and fit it again. Ours is just a plastic waste pipe and is a push-fit.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-a-Clogged-Waste-Pipe
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If its got an overflow in the bath then all the plunging is doing is pushing air up the overflow pipe. Put a good sized wet cloth tightly over the overflow and try with the plunger again. Common one with showers is hair in the waste so might be worth getting the bath panel off and having a look.

If drain cleaner clears it are you putting fat down the sink. This can cause all sorts of problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in a second floor flat and the kitchen is to the left of the bathroom and seperate toilet to right. Both of these are ok. The basin in the bathroom was fine at first but now it's clogging up! I will have to sleep on it. When the oh was plunging it bought up some horrid gunk that is now lying at the bottom of the tub it looks awful! I dread to think what awaits me in the morning!
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in a second floor flat and the kitchen is to the left of the bathroom and seperate toilet to right. Both of these are ok. The basin in the bathroom was fine at first but now it's clogging up! I will have to sleep on it. When the oh was plunging it bought up some horrid gunk that is now lying at the bottom of the tub it looks awful! I dread to think what awaits me in the morning!

Do you have a hair catcher over the drain? If not, get a wire coathanger and bend it into a long strip with a small hook at the end. Stick that down the drain and fish about, see if you can bring up any clumps of hair. That might help.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put some bleach in it overnight.

And for emergencies when you can not use the bath always have a bucket in the house for shower.:)
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`ll be hair. you need to take the trap off and clean it out, also buy a hair trap for prevention.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    yellowpark wrote: »
    Put some bleach in it overnight.

Depending on what is in the drain unblocker already used, this could be a VERY bad idea.

Hopefully the stuff in there already has done the job overnight and cleared the blockage somewhat.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QFour wrote: »
    If its got an overflow in the bath then all the plunging is doing is pushing air up the overflow pipe. Put a good sized wet cloth tightly over the overflow and try with the plunger again. Common one with showers is hair in the waste so might be worth getting the bath panel off and having a look.

If drain cleaner clears it are you putting fat down the sink. This can cause all sorts of problems.

Call a Plumber, I went to a Jockey's house in Newmarket where he had brought the ceiling down doing exactly what you advise. With modern baths the overflow is only a flexible pipe pushed onto a stub above the Trap. Doing as per your advice can and did force the overflow off, resulting in a full bath of water going under the floor and the hall ceiling came down. Remember A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Call a Plumber, I went to a Jockey's house in Newmarket where he had brought the ceiling down doing exactly what you advise. With modern baths the overflow is only a flexible pipe pushed onto a stub above the Trap. Doing as per your advice can and did force the overflow off, resulting in a full bath of water going under the floor and the hall ceiling came down. Remember A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous thing.

my flat was flooded from upstairs by just this, as was my opposite neighbour by her upstairs.
  • Options
    chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I would just echo two points made in the thread already.

The first is that it is probably hair and that once cleared getting a hair trap/sink strainer thing is recommended if you do not have one. We have one for all our sinks and the bath and once the plug comes out to drain the bath water then the strainer goes in straight away. We have a pop-up plug thing but just fish it out and pop the strainer on.

Second point is that when blocked drains come up as a subject there is very often advice to use "product A" or "product B" etc. Drain cleaners can contain some very strong chemicals. Some are very strong acid, others are caustic soda (very strong base) and mixing them or mixing them with other chemicals (e.g. bleach) as spimf has pointed out could be a very bad idea. Read the instructions carefully and pay attention to the safety notes on any drain cleaner you use and particularly any comments about what they can and can't be mixed with. There can be some nasty reactions if incompatible chemicals are mixed.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once called a plumber out for a blocked bath drain and he doesn't use those strong chemicals. He said they can dissolve the inside of the pipes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    am i the only person who gets under the bath and cleans the bend out myself:o.?
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    I once called a plumber out for a blocked bath drain and he doesn't use those strong chemicals. He said they can dissolve the inside of the pipes.
    And it probably takes him longer to do the job so he makes more money. Win win for him really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just put Duck tape on the overflow and use a plunger, works every time.

Those reporting floods from the overflow coming off must have incorrectly fitted overflows and you also have to question why the bath is full of water to allow that much of a flood?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    And it probably takes him longer to do the job so he makes more money. Win win for him really.

Plunging is much quicker than using chemicals which always takes time so that wouldn't be the case.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nah... there other folks who are capable of unscrewing a few bits of plastic too. I was gonna suggest that dismantling the u-bend is as difficult as tying a shoelace but then I realised a lot of folks wear slip-ons.....
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. I love doing jobs like this. I think I was a plumber in a previous life!:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well oh had the pipes apart and got one of those drain rods and pulled a big clump of hair, I use a hair catcher every time and put the hair in the bin, must be the odd one that gets under and has caused this! God the smell was bad, I can only imagine as bad as rotting flesh! I went to the gym for a shower!