Salads

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
We all go for the basics.... cucumber...
lettuce....tomatoes.... red onion....

but there must be all kinds of variations,
I was thinking that a chopped up eating apple would be an idea to add to the mix

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    I was thinking that a chopped up eating apple would be an idea to add to the mix
    What was your conclusion?
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's loads of salad possibilities. Apple works well with blue cheese & walnuts.

I'm not a big fan of fruit in salad, but most savoury things are great. Peppers, baby spinach leaves & feta cheese is a great, quick & easy salad. Tomatoes and quinoa with rocket leaves. Olives, sundried tomatoes for a Mediterranean feel. Warm salads with roasted/griddled vegetables. The list is endless, just throw things together and see what works.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    I chop everything up, mix it in a bowl....
    Ive noticed though, when something in the mix does nt taste right...
    its usually the cucumber that is off

I carefully taste each new cucumber now ... before I add it to the mix
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a salad in a cafe today which had lettuce, red onion, white onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, coleslaw, tangerine and pineapple. Found it a bit odd.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly can't see the point in them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waldorf salad is a favorite with my mob - well my version - apple, celery, walnuts and mayo.

The green salad with egg and mayo - everything green with egg and mayo - make sure you have cybois in it. Can't make enough of it!

Red onion and tomato all chopped and and seasoned with a bit of coriander and sometimes mint... yum

All the green stuff chopped together and mixed up - brilliant - have the mayo or dressing on the side
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love salads, and usually have spinach or romaine lettuce as my 'green's with cherry tomatoes, peppers, red onion, peppers, roasted seeds, french viniagrette, and homemade hummus, yum!! :D, apart from cherry tomatoes, im not a fan of fruit in salads but hey each to their own!! :D
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grated carrots, sugar snap peas, cress...some extras to add. What makes a salad for me is the substance that makes it filling, be it meat, cheese or jacket potatoes.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chicken Caesar Salad exists! Don`t mess with perfection!
    Forum Member
    I agree about the hot bit... I find myself making a couple
    of beefburgers to go with my salad !
    I boiled a few new potatoes yesterday to go with my salad and quiche... ... but then forgot
    all about them as they were over on the stove.
    Forum Member
    A french guy and his family came over some time ago,
    we served a salad as it was a warm summers day.

He loved the salad cream... he said we dont have this over in France !
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made a warm salad for tea one night last week. Started off by browning some cut-up pork and chorizo sausages in a little oil for 5 minutes. I took them out and cooked some onion, garlic and mushrooms in the same oil for a few minutes, then added a big bunch of spinach and wilted it for another few minutes. I then served the spinach mixture on a plate, added the chopped chorizo sausages, some tomato slices, croutons, crumbled feta, sunflower seeds, and some honey-mustard dressing. It was really good, I wish I had made more as it went down pretty fast. :D Even the kids liked it. I'm definitely making it again, but next time I'll wilt the spinach a little less, it cooks down REALLY fast.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Mackerel goes really nice with salad and new potatoes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much love salads but cucumber is the one thing I wouldnt have, cant stand it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I find cucumber inoffensive. It has no real taste. It's like cruchy water.
    It's just there for texture and freshness.
  • innes_calaninnes_calan Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Me and the wife like to when trying to loose weight do our make up your own salads, usualy they consist of supermarket grated carrots, a lettace, tomatoes, onion mixed, peppers mixed, spring onion, radish. maybe not all the said ingrediants but then we include chopped ham or tuna, smoked sausage, anything as a protein content then the magic ingredients! horse radish sauce (Jar) french mustard (Jar) any other jarred thingy, maybe mayonaise then add pepper and salt, beetroot better added just before you eat it unless u like pink food, so any combination of the above and whatever u want to throw in works, trust me just play with flavours and make it up, I have been pleasantly surprised by our outcomes (cause I can't spell the word I want to use, just like some others) trust me it works but u need the protein! We sometimes make this up and toast pita breads and cut them in half and just fill them up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waldorf salad is a favorite with my mob - well my version - apple, celery, walnuts and mayo.

The green salad with egg and mayo - everything green with egg and mayo - make sure you have cybois in it. Can't make enough of it!

Red onion and tomato all chopped and and seasoned with a bit of coriander and sometimes mint... yum

All the green stuff chopped together and mixed up - brilliant - have the mayo or dressing on the side

what are cybois?
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    what are cybois?

i was wondering about this! i googled it to no effect???:confused:
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    what are cybois?

Cyborgs?
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    People who use lettuce should be ashamed.

a good salad = raw chopped peppers, apples, banana, grapes, cous cous, lean meat, boiled eggs, spinich, rocket, nuts.

none of this lettuce, tomato, cucumber pork pie, fatty processed meat and coleslaw caper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like a nice wedge of iceberg lettuce with crumbled Stilton and a bit of blue cheese dressing. It's refreshing as a side salad.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It disappoints me when cherry tomatoes are soft. they should be crunchy
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    We all go for the basics.... cucumber...
    lettuce....tomatoes.... red onion....
    I don't put any of those things in my salad. Tonight's salad was cheese coleslaw, tomato pasta, pickled silverskin onions, pickled beetroot, corned beef & diced potatoes - with Paul Newman's ranch dressing. Lovely!

I once worked with a woman whose hubby's idea of a salad was cold meat with a packet of crisps. :D
    Forum Member
    crisps... of course, thats one thing Ive forgotten this year..... makes a nice add on to a salad
    Forum Member
    Never had it but I think frankfurter sausages... hot from the pan..
    would go well with all the rabbit food !