Is the moderation on here top quality?

13»

Comments

• Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure they would be able to justify holding such information, in an ideal world, all users would have to give a mobile number and receive a text message containing a code to confirm they are a person, but it all costs.
    Sambda wrote: »
    It's almost impossible. You can give any old crap info out when you join. And you can get a free email address to accept the joining "click to complete the sign-up process" email. IP addresses change, and cookies can be wiped. Other than a complex, heuristic, "patterns of use" type thing (which would probably generate false positives), there ain't much you can do to permanently ban someone.

The phone/text would be a step towards making it difficult to register multiple accounts.

Another way to do it is by way of a refundable credit/debit card payment (£1), in a similar way that some shops/services do. Obviously, it has to be administered.

IP mapping is impractical and pattern recognition isn't something that computers do very well (see Stargazing Supernova project as an example of this) as it involves interpretation.

Either way, there would be a cost in time and money.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phone/text would be a step towards making it difficult to register multiple accounts.

Another way to do it is by way of a refundable credit/debit card payment (£1), in a similar way that some shops/services do. Obviously, it has to be administered.

IP mapping is impractical and pattern recognition isn't something that computers do very well (see Stargazing Supernova project as an example of this) as it involves interpretation.

Im sure they used to do this, and only allow certain email domains when you tried to join, for some reason they stopped.
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DS shouldn't become like Google.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I have the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head. :(

But all of my warnings were from another forum on DS which is why I am sticking (mainly) to General.

I think it is more relaxed here and that people do not rush to report others for the slightest thing (such as a joke they do not agree with).

Plus there are so many interesting posters and topics. :)
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Im sure they used to do this, and only allow certain email domains when you tried to join, for some reason they stopped.

That is true it was a very long time ago. IIRC you could pay to join if your email domain was not accepted. I think only those supplied by service providers like AOL where automatically allowed.

If you used anything else there was an admission fee.
  • Rick GrimesRick Grimes Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    The users arent that bad are they?
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The users arent that bad are they?

It depends on which forum you happen to be in, but there are a few who are blatantly the same person and also a few who are blatantly trolling. The former never aids discussion and the latter has to be very funny to contribute :)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say they do fine, Its a big site.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No :(
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No :(

Saw you as inactive, bet you weren't pleased. :(
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw you as inactive, bet you weren't pleased. :(

I was very bored at work today :(
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was banned for a week, no idea why. So I would also say no.
    Forum Member
    I was very bored at work today :(

Haha oh gosh that made me smile!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    So if you get a lifetime ban, you just materialise as someone new................I assume.

Obviously you would know about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    The moderation is okay. I do think the mods should give explanations as to why they have closed a certain thread though.
    Forum Member
    Threads being moved.
    Threads being closed.

Not bad if that is the two biggest worries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Ive never had a problem until recently and I cant find five years of my previous poists, its a bit messed up just now.
    But a very trivial point I realise and if the mods on here were more like the mods on twitter then I might venture over there
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only been here a week or so, but it seems OK to me.

I got a warning for calling someone a moron, after being similarly insulted. Looking through the thread it appears both parties were fairly warned and had posts deleted.

I've only ever used two other forums before this one. The first featured hyper-strict moderation; the second was a lunatic asylum where anything was allowed.

This appears to be a happy medium.

One of them wasnt TvForum.co.uk were they?