This Gens biggest games...that you never got what the fuss was about

Comments

• Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTA and impartiality IV, don't understand why these games are so popular.

To me they don't even control right, the shooting it the lamest I've ever come across, character movement isn't very well done and feels clunky to me.

The stories are the worst, the missions are often short and boring.

The only redeeming feature I can think of is the music and the fun that can be had from driving and flying in an open world setting.

Sorry R*, but your flagship game sucks.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GTA and impartiality IV, don't understand why these games are so popular.

To me they don't even control right, the shooting it the lamest I've ever come across, character movement isn't very well done and feels clunky to me.

The stories are the worst, the missions are often short and boring.

The only redeeming feature I can think of is the music and the fun that can be had from driving and flying in an open world setting.

Sorry R*, but your flagship game sucks.

Wow I couldn't disagree more, I love those games :D can't wait for the new one, definitely buying it at launch!
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked GTA 4, a lot, but the combat/controls are very clunky.

I don't recommend playing it* just after Mass Effect 3, as I did. But I do recommend playing it.

*actually it was the expansions
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That reminds me about Mass Effect 3. I dont get what the fuss is about it.
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wasn't blown away, and I really liked the second one.

But one thing it did have was good combat.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think recently last 18 months to 2 years games have over hyped themselves. They ave been tellin magazines, TV, etc how great their game Is going to be and often people don't want to admit they have fallen for it. Saints row 3 is a good one. Hyped up, easily forgotten.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I loved that trilogy, I have literally spent over 100 hours playing ME3 :D
  • ArchiexArchiex Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    One of the biggest let downs for me has to be sleeping dogs with its awful fight mechanics. Ruined what may have been a good game and I'm just glad it was a plus download and I didn't actually pay for the thing.

As a lover of GTA, IV was visually great, at the time, but lacked gameplay, humour and decent radio stations - IMO the three staples of what makes GRA great.

Any Cod style game leaves me cold, apart from Dead Space which has something, I can't put my finger on it, but I like it. ratchet and clank are great as they have a lot of replay value and are not over heavy or demanding. But the best finds of the generation for me going by total play time and overall enjoyment has to be Burnout paradise (not a fan of racing games normally), Borderlands 1/2 and Disgea 3. However, hopefully, GTA V may be added to that list, but only time will tell.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTAIV

I never liked Liberty City much in it's old form and to have it expanded did it no favours. It's just grey street after grey street. The story sucked big time, you just never cared for Niko in the same way you did the others, even the mute Claude was more entertaining. The realism went too far for a game. I liked weapons at hideouts, friends who were just there and following a fairly linear path. The fact it felt like you were living Niko's boring, drab life just dragged. The music was also fairly shoddy, a huge part of Vice, and San Andreas was the music yet here the vast majority was niche stations full of junk. Set the game 2 years in the past, get some more popular songs on, and it would have made a world of difference.

The 2 DLC's made it more bearable but all the features didn't carry over to the base game.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have to say most Western RPG's, to be specific Fallout 3. I just didn't get on with it, loved the part in the vault, I remember being really excited to get outside.......then nothing. It was my first Western RPG and I think the huge space to explore, with no clue as to where I needed to go just killed it for me. I think I wandered around and eventually stumbled on a house, then carried on, not knowing where to go until I found another building. It turned out to be the same house! That was over an hour wasted, I tried to play in 3rd person and the animation was so bad that I just thought, nope, not for me this game. I've played and liked Skyrim since then, so maybe I should give it another go, now i'm more used to that type of game.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bioshock, I dont understand all the praise that got when to me it was just System Shock 2 dressed up in a new environment and with all the things that made that game tense taken away. There was no ammo management as money was near impossible to get rid off and the tiny purse you had was always full and the Plasmids while interesting were ultimately pointless past melting a bit of ice here and there to programs down a new corridor.

That said I did still enjoy the game but it did have a wonderful atmosphere.

Batman Arkham City was a huge let down after the awesome Arkham Asylum, the whole game felt wrong for some reason. The idea of a city to go around sounded great but the city they created was small, unimaginative, boring and a chore to get around.

Call of Duty Zombies, I just don't get it, I should like it as I like co-op horde defence modes but neither W@W or Black Ops zombies modes held my interest for long at all. I did enjoy MW2 & MW3 spec ops modes though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for GTA 4. I gave up half way through. I found the story boring as hell and didn't warm to any characters but it felt like every other mission was chasing someone. I tried to get into it and give it another go again recently but still feel and think the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Call of Duty Zombies, I just don't get it, I should like it as I like co-op horde defence modes but neither W@W or Black Ops zombies modes held my interest for long at all. I did enjoy MW2 & MW3 spec ops modes though.

I thought W@W zombies was great but Blops 1 zombies never held my interest. Haven't played Blops 2.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    To me it just felt more of the same, nothing unique to it like the first one had and certainly not deserving the 97% metacritic score that it got.

I didn't hate it, in fact 8 out of 10 would be my score, it just didn't live up to the hype for me, a bit like the Zelda games on the Wii, which is odd as I loved all the Zelda games on the DS and will consider getting a 3DS for the new one.

Fair enough, I preferred Galaxy 2 to Galaxy 1 but they were very similar, could of been DLC, though it would of been an admittedly huge piece of DLC. I still think it's the best 3D platformer ever made. Same goes for Skyward Sword but I can understand someone not getting on with the motion controls, pretty brave of Nintendo to restrict the game to W&N.
    Archiex wrote: »
    One of the biggest let downs for me has to be sleeping dogs with its awful fight mechanics. Ruined what may have been a good game and I'm just glad it was a plus download and I didn't actually pay for the thing.

That's strange I thought the fighting controls in Sleeping Dogs was one of the best features, what I hated the most was the awful driving controls. Probably some of the worst I've used in any sandbox game.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl

It didn't add that much over Melee for me, things it tried to add didn't really work I found. Online performance was wildly inconsistent, and the single player Subspace Emissary campaign was boring and really badly implemented.

It did have Sonic and Snake though which was a nice addition, but I found it lacking.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for GTA 4. I gave up half way through. I found the story boring as hell and didn't warm to any characters but it felt like every other mission was chasing someone.

Reading all the hype about the upcoming game and how most people think it'll be amazing, it amuses me to think that we might see posts like that about GTA V in a few years' time!
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I'd have to say most Western RPG's, to be specific Fallout 3. I just didn't get on with it, loved the part in the vault, I remember being really excited to get outside.......then nothing. It was my first Western RPG and I think the huge space to explore, with no clue as to where I needed to go just killed it for me. I think I wandered around and eventually stumbled on a house, then carried on, not knowing where to go until I found another building. It turned out to be the same house! That was over an hour wasted, I tried to play in 3rd person and the animation was so bad that I just thought, nope, not for me this game. I've played and liked Skyrim since then, so maybe I should give it another go, now i'm more used to that type of game.

If you look at your quests list, it will have said to go to the town of megaton to enquire about your Dad. Click the icon that says "show on map" and megaton will be shown on the world map. You can then use your compass (bottom left of screen, it will have a direction indicator for the current quest, much like skyrim) to find the town, where you will also find some side quests to do.

I had much the same problem as you when I first played. , almost gave up, then I found out how to navigate using the world map and the on-screen compass. After that...well..it became one of my fav games of all time.

3rd person in this game isnt much good, but, I quite like the 1st person anyway.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CoD series was great until they released MW2.
    It was ruined by the overblown unrealistic Hollywood storyline and the total overkill of perks in multiplayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »

This is almost verbatim, my thoughts when i start the thread (obviously i don't like skyrim either)

But i just decided i've made a thread condemning the game, i'll give it one more shot see if i can get along with it, here i am on my third straight day of the playing the game and i'm enjoying myself, so i would suggest giving it one more shot and it will take a bit of time getting used to everything

As for whether game itself deserves to be one of the biggest this gen, even though i'm enjoying it the answer is still no (if you are making a top 25 not a top 10 it could possibly make the list) there are a few problems i have with the game and perhaps i'm just missing an easy solution

so the problems
    -Vats is to random, i'm level 15 and have bought a bunch of Vats related perks, yet i'll still miss a headshot from two feet away and not do the damage the vats says i will

-The weight limit for carrying stuff, I'd much prefer there wasn't one or at the very least shops where you could buy bigger bags and carry more stuff

-Fast traveling, if somebody tells me where a building is in the world then i know where the building is, i shouldn't have to travel there to activate fast travel, i already know that it is there

-Plus you can't fast travel from in doors which annoys me, why do i need to move two feet and open a door to be able to fast travel

-No fast traveling when enemies are around, i mean if they could see me i get it but when an enemy is around the corner taking a nap i should be able to fast travel

If there is a solution or way to make these things better than my enjoyment of the game would vastly improve
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding fast traveling, often it's the battle to get into the location that's the hardest part, if you could jut fast travel straight to the centre of a location without having ever visited it before it would take away the fight to get in, not to mention the random encounters along the way which make it so special. If you never roam the desert to get from one place to another you'll miss 70% of the game.

Regarding the weight limit it's pretty easy to manage your inventory when you store your stuff somewhere. Either get yourself a room someplace or just leave stuff in a box you find somewhere, I don't think things ever go missing if you put them in a container. You really don't need to carry much stuff with you. Plus later you can find better suits which carry a higher weight limit.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Elder Scroll games. I bought Oblivion after huge recommendations from a number of friends, and found it an extremely boring and unexciting open world "adventure". Could not get into at all.

Which makes me incredibly foolish for thinking Skyrim was worth a go. The same applies to the Fallout games for me.

I'd like to throw in a vote for the Dead Space series as well. Now, I do like the Dead Space series, and I do think it was atmospheric. Was it really the clamour for horror we'd been waiting for since the Silent Hill and Resident Evil games of past? I'm not really sure. I can't say I found it particularly scary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so i took back my thoughts on Fallout 3, i actually quite enjoy it

But New Vegas is ****ing broken, i'm in vault 34 and because the game auto saves after every door my game is ****ing bricked

15 hours in and my game is broken, i'm stuck in an infinite death loop, i have about 2 seconds before i die of radiation poisoning and i have nothing to stop

This is a game that released TWICE, has about a MILLION patches and yet this is still in the game
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Skyrim. Boring generic fantasy fare. I enjoyed playing the game, but its nowhere near as good as people make out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't blown away, and I really liked the second one.

But one thing it did have was good combat.

Good combat and immersive story. Fans who have played it through 1 and 2 invested a lot of their time into this world, dodgy ending aside, ME3 is a great game with decent multiplayer.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    so i took back my thoughts on Fallout 3, i actually quite enjoy it

But New Vegas is ****ing broken, i'm in vault 34 and because the game auto saves after every door my game is ****ing bricked

15 hours in and my game is broken, i'm stuck in an infinite death loop, i have about 2 seconds before i die of radiation poisoning and i have nothing to stop

This is a game that released TWICE, has about a MILLION patches and yet this is still in the game

Never solely rely on the auto save. In the Fallout games (Actually most games IMHO) its best to have a number of manual saves so you can back travel should something like the above happen (Or you just don't like a decision you made).

Also the Fallout games along with Skyrim run better with Auto Save turned off. And yeah from a technically level these games are awful, people complained a lot about Skyrims issues but they are nothing compared to the Fallout series which with the third games ironed out most of the issues through patches and then introduced a load more issues with the GOTY edition.

They are good games though if you can look past all the issues.