Energy saving light bulbs

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I can never work you out N747. If things cost you more money, that's bad news and reason to argue for many pages about how it's costing you money. On the other hand where something saves you a bit of money that's bad news and reason to argue for many pages no doubt about how it's saving you money. :) You're £1.25 a month better off. Live the dream - have a couple of pickled eggs with your pie & chips on a Thursday night. Cue response about pie & chips night is actually Tuesdays thank you very much, and I tried pickled eggs but they didn't agree with me, mind a tub of mushy peas would be ok I suppose.

Saving money is fine if the product does what you want or need, also being forced to change just because someone in some office getting over paid says we should is also not right.
    Is £1.25 a month saving worth it for in my opinion worse lighting? Add the cost of the bulbs in which is a lot more than the 80p a normal bulb used to cost. Sure they have gone up a bit now, but I can still get them for about a £1 each. I have normal bulbs in this house that have been in here since I moved in, about 19 years ago and still working. Ok they are only for the toilet and for the landing, but still lasting and it is the turning on and off that normally blows them.
    Is anyone else minded to recall this scene? If I have one bean, and then I have another bean, what do I have? Some beans sir. Maybe it's just me...
    I get your logic and understand where you are coming from, but Logic do not always work in the real world.
    Noise - if A logically leads to B, you cannot reasonably dismiss that logic by suggesting that A --> B is invalid because in your opinion that's the same as A leading to under-cooked pebbles. My premise was [is] that where two examples of waste exist, cutting one area of waste is not invalidated by the continued waste in the second example. You've conflated this to suggest that where two areas of waste co-exist, there's no point cutting the first area because it could cause a 2nd completely unrelated area of waste to suddenly start up, and negate any savings arising. That's quite some leap there, even for you. Well done. :)

But this is how some people think, I do my recycling, I got those crap bulbs in my house, so lets run my 4x4 down to the shop down the road, or take my kids to school down the road, where walking would do them the world of good.

I seen my next door neighbour get in their car and take it to the shop around the corner, a 2 minute walk. By the time they get in the car they could be at the shop.

People wonder why I get fed up of this green crap, save energy, recycle, it is all good for the planet. I will not be lectured on my way of life, simple as that.

Look up the noun 'analogy'. An analogy allows an inference to be drawn from its logical reasoning. It is not a literal reference; it does not mean "I am accusing you of being wasteful wrt bus fares".
    I know, I just thought I would add it.
    As has been mentioned a few times before you posted this, LED bulbs have moved on enormously in the recent past. Light output is on a par with and better than traditional light sources, and is much cheaper to run so when it comes to replacing a light bulb, an LED or an energy saver makes sense. As for shadows, unless you have access to special bulbs that outwit the laws of physics, your old bulb will create shadows, I can promise you that.

Thank you. :)
    My normal 100 watt bulb lights up the corners of the room, something the LED do not. I get less shadow with my normal bulb.

I have moved the LED downstairs in the living room now and stuck a normal bulb back in here, see how it works down there.
    You say they are not much cheaper, but I have said above, they are not much cheaper, works out a lousy £15 a year. If i could save money elsewhere then it adds up, but I can't.
    Oh yes maybe I can not use my coffee maker so often, but that is not going to happen. I use what I use because i need to use them.
    I do have a one cup kettle that I use for some other hot drinks.

So much green crap and when you look at it, it is more about money for people who already got money than saving the public money or about the planet.

Still at least these smart meters seems to have gone off the trial and it seems like we are not going to get them any time soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Would those videos happen to have people putting on face masks and clearing out the house?

Not sure about the masks, but clearing out the house yes and opening windows. I know Americans sometimes go over the top about things like this, but I would prefer not to have them to be honest, I got one tube left now in the house and that is in the kitchen, I will get rid of it at some point with normal bulb. It is useless anyway, I had to replace the starter more than it should be replaced over the last few years.

It was a new light 7 years ago or so, put up by the HA when they done the kitchen. I did ask for a normal light then, but they was not allowed to do it. But I can get it changed as long as it is done legally and get put back if I move.

I have got two 2D type lights outside, they are fine outside.
    The levels of mercury are so small that you ingest more in your food than you would if you broke a bulb a day.
    IIRC part of the scare comes from some advice that is probably outdated based on old models or possibly industrial versions that are much bigger than domestic ones, and the fact that when a bulb gets broken you can potentially be exposed for a very very short time to a level that is higher than the recommended level for long term exposure (IE levels for a few minutes that could be dangerous if you were exposed for weeks/months).
    From memory the average CFL (not the big tubes, but normal bulb replacements) have about 5mg, which is far far less than some other devices you have around the house.
    You're never exposed to anything approaching a level that would be dangerous in the short term.

Less than my thermometer I have in the hall way, but then that is not going to get broken unless someone knocks it off the wall, but that is not going to happen.
    You don't just take one to the tip, you take a bunch, or at the same time as other stuff - for example I put the old bulbs in the packaging their replacements came in, and put them in a box in the garage (along with things like dead batteries* which go into a plastic tub in the box), then they get taken when i'm either going past the tip, or when taking other items :)
    So it's hardly bad for the enviroment if you happen to use common sense.
    So what happens if you do not have a car and not able to get down to the tip?
    Not that I have any CFL left in the house now anyway.
    IIRC some stores also have collection points for the bulbs.

Not seen any here, unless B and Q does, but I never go that way. Batteries, yes, I see most shops have them, even our local co-op, not that it is plain view and you only see it when at the checkout.
    Even if they all got put into landfill, from memory it would account for less mercury released into the enviroment than would have been released by the coal that has been saved from being burned by the reduced consumption (in the U.S. and other heavy coal burning countries that is definitely true).

Maybe, but we are told to protect the environment and yet they forced a bulb with mercury onto us.
    *rechargable batteries don't tend to be worth it/work very well for clocks and remotes, and aren't available for other things (bell pushes etc), and even rechargables dies out, as the dozen or so I took last month show :) (they'd stopped holding enough charge to be useful)

Never had a problem with them to be honest, I use them for my still camera and they do the job nicely. A lot better than they used to be. I have some from 3 years back, been charged loads of times and yet still keep their charge.
    Saved me a fortune over the years, saved me more than if I put CFL or LED bulbs in my whole house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Indeed, the ballast will be removed by a qualified electrician, in fact I shall probably have complete new light fittings installed.

Fair enough.
    I do look into these things, other wise I would not know about the ballast. I know it is there and what it, but only a few months back did I find out it needed to be removed for LED lighting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day people should use the type light bulbs they like best

You hit the nail on the head, but our government and the EU do not see it like that, they decide to ban normal bulbs and now halogen is on the cards.,
    Let people choose what they want to use, fed up of this nanny state telling us what to do, because it looks good on their part.,

No doubt some people in government and the EU get something out of these bans, maybe they have got shares in companies in china.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head, but our government and the EU do not see it like that, they decide to ban normal bulbs and now halogen is on the cards.,
    Let people choose what they want to use, fed up of this nanny state telling us what to do, because it looks good on their part.,

No doubt some people in government and the EU get something out of these bans, maybe they have got shares in companies in china.

The sad thing is normal people, will back up the idiots in government in anything they want do all the time.

Instead of telling people what they must do, the government, e.u, must let people choose for themselves what's best for themselves. And end the stupid nanny state.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nearest battery disposal location is about 20 minutes walk away and the nearest CFL disposal is the local tip, 'somewhat further' so I really don't know what anyone was expecting to happen. Officially speaking, we all take the bulbs to the tip but that's a lot of journeys in the absence of any provision of collection points - though of course thinking about the 'proper' handling of even a single broken bulb I suspect there's a load of hazardous chemical regulations that would prevent this from being done without a lot of expensive consequential requirements.

As for the amount of mercury, it may well be a miniscule amount but it's not in the same form as found in fish or thermometers or barometers etc so I don't think that's as useful a comparison as might first appear. Perhaps the question would be over how many mini-clouds of light bulb dust and over what length of time would cross the lines between 'safe', 'recoverable', 'not worth the risk' and 'no lieutenant your men are already dead'.

I suspect the vast majority of old strip lights were sufficiently out of reach for them to be frequent victims of breakage which would be rare enough for people to step back and not be so casual about snorting the dust.

Maybe instead of cardboard boxes the CFLs could come in a safe-disposal container, to be kept until such time as it is needed, which can then be put into a nearby safe-disposal bin. Or have them encased in a hardened or shatter-proof non-removable transparent plastic shell which safely contains it all and would mean that a public bin for CFL disposal would be far less hazardous. The hardened shell would only need to be a simple rounded shape and could be clear or frosted or even tinted, depending on what people want.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've still got tube lights in the garage, radio ham shack and a barn but the house is now all energy savers, some are LED. The shack will sometime this year switch to LED/Cree powered by solar panels.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Saving money is fine if the product does what you want or need, also being forced to change just because someone in some office getting over paid says we should is also not right.
    Is £1.25 a month saving worth it for in my opinion worse lighting? Add the cost of the bulbs in which is a lot more than the 80p a normal bulb used to cost. Sure they have gone up a bit now, but I can still get them for about a £1 each. I have normal bulbs in this house that have been in here since I moved in, about 19 years ago and still working. Ok they are only for the toilet and for the landing, but still lasting and it is the turning on and off that normally blows them.

I get your logic and understand where you are coming from, but Logic do not always work in the real world.

But this is how some people think, I do my recycling, I got those crap bulbs in my house, so lets run my 4x4 down to the shop down the road, or take my kids to school down the road, where walking would do them the world of good.

I seen my next door neighbour get in their car and take it to the shop around the corner, a 2 minute walk. By the time they get in the car they could be at the shop.

People wonder why I get fed up of this green crap, save energy, recycle, it is all good for the planet. I will not be lectured on my way of life, simple as that.

I know, I just thought I would add it.

My normal 100 watt bulb lights up the corners of the room, something the LED do not. I get less shadow with my normal bulb.

I have moved the LED downstairs in the living room now and stuck a normal bulb back in here, see how it works down there.
    You say they are not much cheaper, but I have said above, they are not much cheaper, works out a lousy £15 a year. If i could save money elsewhere then it adds up, but I can't.
    Oh yes maybe I can not use my coffee maker so often, but that is not going to happen. I use what I use because i need to use them.
    I do have a one cup kettle that I use for some other hot drinks.

So much green crap and when you look at it, it is more about money for people who already got money than saving the public money or about the planet.

Still at least these smart meters seems to have gone off the trial and it seems like we are not going to get them any time soon.

Oh noise, please stop your....noise. Every single thing you hate or disagree with. 99% of the time its just absolute rubbish. I'm sitting in my living room right now with an LED bulb in the centre of the room and its lighting all 4 corners. In fact, it lights a much nicer white light than any normal bulb can produce. You really do hate change on absolutely everything from mobile phones, computers and now light bulbs!!!!!

But please, do continue as reading your made up ramblings give us all something to laugh at :D
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I've still got tube lights in the garage, radio ham shack and a barn but the house is now all energy savers, some are LED. The shack will sometime this year switch to LED/Cree powered by solar panels.

I also still got tube lights in the garage and in the kitchen. Rest of the lights we use tend to be energy saving bulbs. In the last few years I have always been looking at trying to dring the cist of our electric bill down even if its just be £2 or £3 every 3 or 4 months.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    I also still got tube lights in the garage and in the kitchen. Rest of the lights we use tend to be energy saving bulbs. In the last few years I have always been looking at trying to bring the cost of our electric bill down even if its just be £2 or £3 every 3 or 4 months.

Darren

I agree Darren. In our main lounge room we have ceiling light but also six wall/table/free standing lights. In ye olde days those six would be using around 360w an hour, now its around 60w an hour so a saving of @300w an hour, or 3kw over a ten hour period, thats a big saving not just in terms of money but also on drag from the national grid.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you want lights at all? Most nights there is a nice bright moon up there, that should be plenty.
    When fire was brought in, we all got soft, it was even worse with gas lamps, they popped horribly when they were lit, nearly banged our ears out. Then we had to have new fangled electric ones that clicked all the time, on off on bloomin off. Bloomin nanny state drives us all potty now they foist low energy on us all. It's change for changes sake I tell you, nanny nanny nanny. Nanny.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I agree Darren. In our main lounge room we have ceiling light but also six wall/table/free standing lights. In ye olde days those six would be using around 360w an hour, now its around 60w an hour so a saving of @300w an hour, or 3kw over a ten hour period, thats a big saving not just in terms of money but also on drag from the national grid.

Aye that's about what we used to have in the lounge going back 10 years (IIRC it was a pair of 3 way fittings with 60 watt bulbs, prior to that it was 2x 100 bulbs), then we went to candle bulbs because "they looked nicer", which was two fittings with five bulbs each (at 40 watts a bulb).

Replacing the candle bulbs with CFL ones reduced the power consumption to about 60 watts, replacing them with the current 3 way fittings has taken it down to ~24 watts total, and a better light (we had been debating replacing the candle fittings with something with larger bulbs, instead we went to SES golf ball bulbs).

So in about 10 years we've gone from 200 watts, to ~360 watts in the Living room to 24, by way of an 80ish watt CFL side track.
    That is a big difference.

And it's combined with things like the TV sets going from 300+ watts (and often 20-30+ in standby), to 100 in use and under 1 in standby, the fridge/freezer getting more efficient (largely thanks to better use of insulation in them).
    It all adds up.

And because the CFL's we replaced still work I've got about a lifetime supply of bulbs for the fittings in the loft and shed (the candle bulbs will just about fit the bulkhead lamps).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Why do you want lights at all? Most nights there is a nice bright moon up there, that should be plenty.
    When fire was brought in, we all got soft, it was even worse with gas lamps, they popped horribly when they were lit, nearly banged our ears out. Then we had to have new fangled electric ones that clicked all the time, on off on bloomin off. Bloomin nanny state drives us all potty now they foist low energy on us all. It's change for changes sake I tell you, nanny nanny nanny. Nanny.

You are talking daft John. I hope your post is a failed attempt at humour and not really how you feel :D
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Surely not a pop at one of our regular easily-annoyed people...?

When we start having those brown-outs when capacity is overtaken by demand, everyone who insists that it's all crap etc can pat themselves on the back in the gloom for not being swept along with the EU's silly insistence on everybody cutting back a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to use 100w bulbs and then 75w bulbs when they was on the go. We did for a good while use 60w bulbs in most of the lights but in the last few years have used energy saving bulbs ranging from 9w-12w. when we got a new bathroom put in 2 years ago the company that did it changed the normal light fitting in the bathroom to one that takes a square type 4 pin fitting bulb of 28w and that seems to give a very good white light.

Darren
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Although I seem to be saving money in that I don't seem to be buying as many light bulbs as I used to. I have not really noticed that much of a saving on the electric bill.
    I used energy saving light bulbs in about 85% of the lights in the house.
    How dose everyone else find using the bulbs and are they making any savings on there electric bills.

Darren

I hate the classic energy saver type ones. They take a while to fully get going. I'd prefer white light in a lamp if a bulb that emits it is available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I hate the classic energy saver type ones. They take a while to fully get going. I'd prefer white light in a lamp if a bulb that emits it is available.

I have noticed that not everywhere sells white light type energy saving bulbs.
    I found two 15w and two 18w energy saving bulbs in a cupboard earlier this evening. I must have bought them a good few years ago and never used them.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Oh noise, please stop your....noise. Every single thing you hate or disagree with. 99% of the time its just absolute rubbish. I'm sitting in my living room right now with an LED bulb in the centre of the room and its lighting all 4 corners. In fact, it lights a much nicer white light than any normal bulb can produce. You really do hate change on absolutely everything from mobile phones, computers and now light bulbs!!!!!

you are talking crap, no way is it lighting up all four corners unless your room is five foot by five foot.
    The white light is different to a normal bulb and yes the bulb is brighter if you stand underneath the thing., but get out of that zone and you lose light.

If I hate 99% of things, then that means you love everything and just agree for the sake of it. Brain washed, by the media.

But please, do continue as reading your made up ramblings give us all something to laugh at :D[/QUOTE]

If you don't like it then take and run and jump, simple as that. Am, I holding your eyes to the screen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »

Candles, now that is what is needed. The problem is i can not read by candles, but I do use them if I am relaxing listening to some music.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    you are talking crap, no way is it lighting up all four corners unless your room is five foot by five foot.
    The white light is different to a normal bulb and yes the bulb is brighter if you stand underneath the thing., but get out of that zone and you lose light.

If I hate 99% of things, then that means you love everything and just agree for the sake of it. Brain washed, by the media.

But please, do continue as reading your made up ramblings give us all something to laugh at :D

I don't know about you, but LED lights can and do give out as good a light as an incandescent, and thus "light up all four corners of a room" as well as ye olde hot tungsten.

It depends on the style/design of the bulb and fitting, but then it always did.
    For example some of the bulbs I've got have a funny glass internal refractor that spreads the light around a lot, others I've seen have the LED's arranged on a "pole" inside the glass so they're pointing in all directions.
    The cheapest just have a flat panel of them at the base of the bulb giving a highly directional light though (ideal for R50's etc, not so much for globe/golf ball/candle styles)..

Also you need to pay attention to the colour of the bulb, as you get LED bulbs in everything from daylight to flat red/green/blue, and a lot are slightly yellow in output.
    But then it's rather like the old bulbs where you could get them as "pearl" or "clear" to give a slightly different colour (IIRC a lot of low energy bulbs are about 3,500 kelvin in the colour they give out, some are 4,200 and some 6,500, traditional bulbs were something like 4,200, higher being closer to daylight)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

If you don't like it then take and run and jump, simple as that. Am, I holding your eyes to the screen?

I'm talking crap? I'm looking at the bloody thing now and yes it is! I do wish you would stop calling people liars when they point out your idiotic statements. This is something you do a lot.

An led bulb is not a spotlight which is what you are describing unless you buy a spot version. Sure, some cheaper led bulbs will direct more light down than out, but do not assume everyone has bought a cheap ones. I bought dear ones and they do not do as you describe. Get that through your head and stop being so damn ignorant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but LED lights can and do give out as good a light as an incandescent, and thus "light up all four corners of a room" as well as ye olde hot tungsten.

It depends on the style/design of the bulb and fitting, but then it always did.
    For example some of the bulbs I've got have a funny glass internal refractor that spreads the light around a lot, others I've seen have the LED's arranged on a "pole" inside the glass so they're pointing in all directions.
    The cheapest just have a flat panel of them at the base of the bulb giving a highly directional light though (ideal for R50's etc, not so much for globe/golf ball/candle styles)..

Also you need to pay attention to the colour of the bulb, as you get LED bulbs in everything from daylight to flat red/green/blue, and a lot are slightly yellow in output.
    But then it's rather like the old bulbs where you could get them as "pearl" or "clear" to give a slightly different colour (IIRC a lot of low energy bulbs are about 3,500 kelvin in the colour they give out, some are 4,200 and some 6,500, traditional bulbs were something like 4,200, higher being closer to daylight)

It works better in the living room than the the computer room, but corners are still darker than they was with the old bulb, not that it matters there I do not use the corners apart from where the Hi-fi is and I have a 100watt bulb over that.
    Maybe the lampshade have something to do with it, which is why it do not spread the light more in my computer room, but the incandescent bulb done the job ok.

I need the corner lit up in the computer room as my computer is in one corner and while my keyboard got a LED lit keyboard, it is still difficult to see the slots on the computer.

I will see what it is like over the next few days, I have reading light, so reading will not be a problem. If I do not like it I will stick it in the toilet, it should be ok there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I'm talking crap? I'm looking at the bloody thing now and yes it is! I do wish you would stop calling people liars when they point out your idiotic statements. This is something you do a lot.

An led bulb is not a spotlight which is what you are describing unless you buy a spot version. Sure, some cheaper led bulbs will direct more light down than out, but do not assume everyone has bought a cheap ones. I bought dear ones and they do not do as you describe. Get that through your head and stop being so damn ignorant.

So we have to pay sky high prices to get a decentr LED, so again taking away that £15 a year saving I will get from changing to them.
    What do you call expensive?

Mine is philips one, cost £6.99 and that was on offer, I think it is normally a couple of quid more. than that normally.
    I think some people imagine some things are better than they are to justify the price they paid. Like someone who just paid £20,000 for a car and need to justify that it is better than someone else car who had paid £10,000 for theirs. Not liers, just do not see the whole picture.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we have to pay sky high prices to get a decentr LED, so again taking away that £15 a year saving I will get from changing to them.
    What do you call expensive?

Mine is philips one, cost £6.99 and that was on offer, I think it is normally a couple of quid more. than that normally.
    I think some people imagine some things are better than they are to justify the price they paid. Like someone who just paid £20,000 for a car and need to justify that it is better than someone else car who had paid £10,000 for theirs. Not liers, just do not see the whole picture.

You can get good quality LED bulbs that give out the equivilent of a 100W incadecent for around £10 to £15.

I am not sure why people moan about spending a few pounds more on something that is used for several hours every day throughout the year. When you compare it to the cost of other devices like mobile phones which can cost hundreds of pounds and will be obsolete in a few years a £15 light bulb is still very cheap.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we are getting into fantasyland now.

For homes that may have 20, 30, 40, 50 or more lights the costs of the upgrade were significant.

£15 a bulb is ridiculous. These are items that ought to cost £2 max. The cost is artificially high.

I see the cost of GU10 downlighter replacements and think of the owners who had them installed by the bucket load, if they want to change to low energy versions.

Also, it's trial and error finding what suits.