Options

The Hoarder Next Door...CH4.

Comments

• Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Where did Nigel have a bath? Because from what I saw, the bath was full up with stuff and you could hardly see the toilet. So how/when did he wash or go to the loo :confused::o

Well done on him for conquering it..... albeit maybe for the time being, but hopefully not.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarn wrote: »
    Where did Nigel have a bath? Because from what I saw, the bath was full up with stuff and you could hardly see the toilet. So how/when did he wash or go to the loo :confused::o

Well done on him for conquering it..... albeit maybe for the time being, but hopefully not.

He went to his friend Jackie's for a shower, to do his washing, and to do some cooking.

She is a very kind lady, it seems to me. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He went to his friend Jackie's for a shower, to do his washing, and to do some cooking.

Her daughters were nice girls too I thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    Imagine the amount of dusting needed in that house!

I've seen several American hoarding shows and oftenthink how staged they are... there are rooms full of stuff several feet deep and you cannot see the walls etc but you can't see any dirt or dust... :confused:
    An egg cooker and a burger maker. What's a burger maker?

I have a burger maker - or press - in which you put your raw burger mince mixture and the press squashes it into a nice tidy burger shape... stops it falling apart on cooking (or great for freezing)...
    Those who were rejected by Kim and Aggie for being too extreme?...

Highly unlikely. Saw them interviewed once when they said they were deluged by people wanting to be on their show, but they often had to be turn down because their houses weren't dirty and cluttered enough :eek: They were after places showing years of neglect... not just the debris left after a party :D
    Sweetangel wrote: »
    The guy was very obviously suffering from deep depression and grief, it isn't a situation to make light of.

It is often some sort of trauma that starts them off... people who have lived through a war, or a bereavement... if you keep the dead person's stuff they're 'not really dead' that sort of thing... Actually quite sad if you think about it. It's something you can control - whether you chuck stuff - but you cannot control someone dying or war...
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Sweetangel wrote: »
    The guy was very obviously suffering from deep depression and grief, it isn't a situation to make light of.

Who was making light of it? :confused:

i think we all understood that his grief had overwhelmed him.

Likewise for Jenny. Her life was turned upside down after her accident. I felt so very, very sorry for her. It would be bad enough just trying to adjust to the loss of use of her arm. She was clearly overwhelmed too and it bothered me that we saw no catch-up.

Probably because she wasn't ready to make a change and didn't want to be filmed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you halloweenbabe.

Your point re. control is insightful and helpful to me. My late younger sister was a hoarder and I never understood it.

Thanks also for the burger maker explanation.

i quite enjoy getting my hands into the mix. Bit like I loved making mud pies as a kid.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a disgusting life some people live.

They are lazy, unhygienic misfits who look for excuses for their anti social behavior. There is something wrong in their genetic make up. Their genes would never be passed on if it were not for the social welfare state of this country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you halloweenbabe.

Your point re. control is insightful and helpful to me. My late younger sister was a hoarder and I never understood it.

Thanks also for the burger maker explanation.

i quite enjoy getting my hands into the mix. Bit like I loved making mud pies as a kid.

Just my own supposition. I have watched several programmes on hoarding over the years and it does seem to me to be a running theme.
    Nansbread wrote: »

They are lazy, unhygienic misfits who look for excuses for their anti social behavior. There is something wrong in their genetic make up. Their genes would never be passed on if it were not for the social welfare state of this country.

So happy that your life has always been a rosy one ... maybe if you had some difficulties to overcome you would show a little more compassion to those less fortunate than yourself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did appear to be suffering from depression to me, grieving for his lost partner Sid.

I do hope that he can keep up the non-hoarding, he hadn't tackled his bedroom yet, hope he does.

His friends were so kind and supportive.

Hope his cat is faring better in the cleaner surroundings, it did have a poor scabby face.

My great-uncle as a terrible hoarder, when he passed away they could hardly get in for newspapers piled everywhere.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its great that Nigel managed to get his house in order and fair play to him as well for outing 'Miss Miranda'.

Hoarding, in my opinion has now been recognised as a illness and I can understand in a way why some people would feel 'safe' being surrounded by personal belongings but not to that extent. I thought it was great that Nigel had such a lovely friend too, whose daughters also thought a lot about Nigel. I hope he finds another lovely partner and has more happy times in his life now.

I am looking forward to next week's programme.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Her daughters were nice girls too I thought.
    I thought Nigels friend Jackie, an amazing woman and a real true friend. She opened her home for Nigel to use almost as his 'second home' and treated him as 'one of the family'. I agree too, both her daughters are an absolute credit to her.

What a lovely lovely lady. I got the impression she was maybe a divorcee as there was no mention or evidence of a partner/husband or man friend? I would like a neighbour like her!! :)
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    I think its great that Nigel managed to get his house in order and fair play to him as well for outing 'Miss Miranda'.
    Fascinating how that Stelios guy saw that as an opportunity to use to help Nigel. I thought that the 'fem' side of a man must lead to tidiness but that can't be as we see there are also female hoarders as well. But dressing up as a woman seems to work for Nigel.

Good luck to the guy, but I think his friend Jackie and her daughters will be more help to him than 'Miranda'.
  • Options
    willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you watch the programme?.

This had nothing to do with 'genes' 'genetic make up' or the 'welfare state of this country'. He had lost his partner and this event in his life affected him, it was clear when he spoke about the photograph of him and Sid how sad it made him.

And behaviour is spelt with a u. Maybe its in your 'genes' 'genetic make up' that you cannot spell properly.
  • Options
    Press_EscPress_Esc Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was quite evident the point to where you could see after the death of his partner he suppressed his emotions and assumed that material gain is the only way of feeling any attachment to him. I have to say he had a gorgeous home once he finally 'let go' of his guilt and grievances.

Miss Miranda was a blast aswell.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willow32 wrote: »
    Did you watch the programme?.

This had nothing to do with 'genes' 'genetic make up' or the 'welfare state of this country'. He had lost his partner and this event in his life affected him, it was clear when he spoke about the photograph of him and Sid how sad it made him.

And behaviour is spelt with a u. Maybe its in your 'genes' 'genetic make up' that you cannot spell properly.

it is spelt without an 'u' in the USA. ha
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I think they should have also had somebody in checking that manky-looking cat with the infected eyes. That was seriously yukky.

I thought this too, poor little thing.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is spelt without an 'u' in the USA. ha

well this is the UK.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,304
    Forum Member
    The BBC have also got a show debuting about hoarding, I didn't realise that it was that much of a problem!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Press_Esc wrote: »
    It was quite evident the point to where you could see after the death of his partner he suppressed his emotions and assumed that material gain is the only way of feeling any attachment to him. I have to say he had a gorgeous home once he finally 'let go' of his guilt and grievances.

Miss Miranda was a blast aswell.

Wasn't it interesting how Miss Miranda dealt with the 'stuff' he couldn't face.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Nigel seemed like a lovely man. I really felt for him about his partner dying. There's hoarding in my family and I know how intractable it can be. I thought he did exceptionally well for 6 weeks.

At the end, all he could say was 'I can't believe it' and cry. I don't think he even really liked the result much, he just knew it had to be done. He was in shock.

His friend Jackie was amazing, above and beyond the call of friendship, letting him use her house as a second home. What a warm hearted lady. Much of his success was obviously down to her.

Now, I'm off to do some tidying up and fill a box with rubbish for the charity shop. That's why I watch these sort of programmes, to give myself a kick.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    raadsel wrote: »
    Nigel seemed like a lovely man. I really felt for him about his partner dying. There's hoarding in my family and I know how intractable it can be. I thought he did exceptionally well for 6 weeks.

At the end, all he could say was 'I can't believe it' and cry. I don't think he even really liked the result much, he just knew it had to be done. He was in shock.

His friend Jackie was amazing, above and beyond the call of friendship, letting him use her house as a second home. What a warm hearted lady. Much of his success was obviously down to her.

Now, I'm off to do some tidying up and fill a box with rubbish for the charity shop. That's why I watch these sort of programmes, to give myself a kick.

I'm the same! I sorted my stuff out this weekend. Stuff creeps up on you!

(I also watch the too-fat-to-move programmes for the same reason!)

I agree with all you say in your post. :)
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a little bit of a hoarder in every single one of us. I thought my boyfriend's flat was very minimalist and that he was always in a flap if anything was put out that shouldn't be there but then I found a cupboard in the loft that was full of stuff, including his two boxes of Doctor Who books. :D

I think we like to think of our surroundings as the view of how it is inside our heads, if our surroundings are cluttered then our heads can be a bit cluttered too. I do believe that people find comfort in having personal possessions around them.

I would love to be stuff-free but I sometimes do find it hard to throw something away or take it to the charity shop for fear that 'it will come in handy sometime' even though it may be something I have not looked at for years.

Even the obsessively-tidy Monica in Friends had a cupboard for stuff. :D
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching on +1?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    The rat house should have been burned to the ground.

Surely that was a health hazard?
  • Options
    GilashGilash Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching on +1?

I am :) I dont know why I am watching, I cannot stand clutter lol