It Is Illogical To Demonize Those Earning Benefits

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299927/Sharon-Minkin-refuses-job-better-benefits.html

Why are those on the dole such an anathema to society? You don't have to work to be a "productive citizen," so the whole negative attitude is wholly unfair. What, they're a strain on the taxpayer? No, not exactly. Tax is for funding the public sector and for the "welfare of people." It's positive.

And what's up with the condescending "scrounger" word? It is completely insulting, used by ignoramuses to subtly justify their irrationality. Don't you realise that most people will choose to work out of pure vested motivation? Welfare leechers on the other hand will remain unproductive even if they're not getting benefits. What's the big deal? Much ado about nothing? :confused:

Comments

• tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a thread on here per day on benefits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Scroungers" = Bad
    "Leechers" = Good
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    It's the new 'Does God exist?' thread. ;)

Silly mother selling her story to The Sun this week in the first place.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    As a tax payer for most of my adult life, being on job seekers is claiming your own tax back.

For anybody who has paid tax, ever, being on benefits is you claiming your own money back.

People like Jeremy Kyle who claim to be paying for your lifestyle are not. You are.

In the rare case that somebody has claimed more benefits than they've paid in tax, then there's an argument to be made, but most haven't.

The government want people to work to support the economy - snobs take pops at the unemployed because they think they're paying for them, which they're not, and because they believe they are a strain on the economy - hmmm. Bankers are the biggest strain on our economy.....
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polymath wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299927/Sharon-Minkin-refuses-job-better-benefits.html

Why are those on the dole such an anathema to society? You don't have to work to be a "productive citizen," so the whole negative attitude is wholly unfair. What, they're a strain on the taxpayer? No, not exactly. Tax is for funding the public sector and for the "welfare of people." It's positive.

And what's up with the condescending "scrounger" word? It is completely insulting, used by ignoramuses to subtly justify their irrationality. Don't you realise that most people will choose to work out of pure vested motivation? Welfare leechers on the other hand will remain unproductive even if they're not getting benefits. What's the big deal? Much ado about nothing? :confused:

If you say so,Mr Spock.
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polymath wrote: »

i imagine most people would think this way.
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »

I love that picture,it's so funny,but the ears don't look real or the neck,go on tell me it's made up.
  • SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Earning"? benefits?
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soupbowl wrote: »
    "Earning"? benefits?

I was in a quandary myself :o
  • greendayfan6greendayfan6 Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have thought people should be given basic living benefit in order to live regardless if they want to work or not. So say you don't want to work for 5 years then that's fine, no questions asked and you don't have to look for work or anything. I am sure there would not be many more people on benefits than there is now and plus it would be a must more flexible and tolerant society.
  • SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have thought people should be given basic living benefit in order to live regardless if they want to work or not. So say you don't want to work for 5 years then that's fine, no questions asked and you don't have to look for work or anything. I am sure there would not be many more people on benefits than there is now and plus it would be a must more flexible and tolerant society.

Not sure i have ever seen anything posted on digital spy that i disagree with more totally and completely.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I getting narked by it now, its ruining GD, i swear i saw a benefits thread turn up in the broadcasting forum last week, and the threads seem to be started on the most part by certain new members who tend to drag up old threads as well.

I got a friggin holiday for resurrecting an old thread and rightly so :D

GD is sex, ghosts and trolling.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one would ever go to work then so where would the money for this come from?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Soupbowl wrote: »
    "Earning"? benefits?

I think you can earn benefits.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yet its ok to take money away from the disabled and sick. the system needs changing
  • greendayfan6greendayfan6 Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    No one would ever go to work then so where would the money for this come from?

You say that but I don't think it's true at all. Most people would not want to live on just enough money to able to survive. In fact I think the 'no pressure' to work would encourage more people to go and get a job.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    As a tax payer for most of my adult life, being on job seekers is claiming your own tax back.

For anybody who has paid tax, ever, being on benefits is you claiming your own money back.

People like Jeremy Kyle who claim to be paying for your lifestyle are not. You are.

In the rare case that somebody has claimed more benefits than they've paid in tax, then there's an argument to be made, but most haven't.

The government want people to work to support the economy - snobs take pops at the unemployed because they think they're paying for them, which they're not, and because they believe they are a strain on the economy - hmmm. Bankers are the biggest strain on our economy.....

Not exactly - the main part of the taxation system is to pay for services such as health, education, security etc. It is only the much smaller 'National Imsurance' element that was designed to provide a safety net through a benefits system in times of need.
    So it's not that difficult for those whose career is actually claiming benefits to clock up far more than they have ever paid in tax.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly it is very logical to demonise those on benefits.

Especially when you are using them as scape goats for the ills of the rich and the bankers.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Govt want you to demonize them because they're easier meat than the real culprits of our financial state.and that's why the Tory press keeps on dragging up stories of someone 'living the life' while on benefits to give the impression that all are so as to wind you up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people are playing right into their hands.
  • Geeza BrakeGeeza Brake Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    It's also " illogical " [?] and highly immoral to expect Society to fund an idle life while contributing nothing to that Society.

I don't think the architects of The Welfare State in the post-war era envisaged the idea of generations of healthy people happy to spend their entire life on the dole.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    The thing is, there is so much more wrong in this country. Tax avoidance by the rich, outsourcing jobs to other countries causing mass unemployment, tax breaks for the rich, tax avoidance for large corporations.

But what do the media focus on? The poor of course. It's government propaganda to punish the poor, and gullible idiots fall for it hook, line and sinker.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    It's also " illogical " [?] and highly immoral to expect Society to fund an idle life while contributing nothing to that Society.

I don't think the architects of The Welfare State in the post-war era envisaged the idea of generations of healthy people happy to spend their entire life on the dole.

I'd imagine that they factored that possibility in because at it's conception not all were employed and so contributing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Then demonise the small minority that are like that, not the genuine unemployed, the low paid, part time workers, the sick and the disabled.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then demonise the small minority that are like that, not the genuine unemployed, the low paid, part time workers, the sick and the disabled.

That's usually what they claim they are doing.