The Tennis Thread (Part 25)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,704
Administrator
tally wrote: »
Thanks lola. I'm wiped out today but it was totally worth it. I'm still pinching myself. :)

What's wrong with your dog? I hope it's nothing too serious, I dread it when they are poorly, Raffa is the love of my life, I don't think I've ever felt love for any pet like him. :o He makes living alone bearable. He's been tweeting to Andy's dogs. (He has a Twitter and Facebook account, set up by my 14 year old dog walkers who are both gems. :) )

So I hope he is soon better. Raffa is sprawled under the tree sunbathing just as he was yesterday. He only came in to see what all the groaning and screeching was about! At least he could show interest.

Sorry, OT. But we can return to banter hopefully while we wait for Canada and the thread slows down.

Jimmy I hope you're OK after seeing Chrissie talking about rivalries. It's impossible to see her now without thinking of you. :p

Continuation of: The Tennis Thread (Part 24)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek: :cool: Blimey, that was quick. I don't think I've ever had a post starting a thread before!!
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,200
    Forum Member
    Wimbledon 2013 - Chair Umpires in Finals

Mens Singles - Mohammad Lahyani (Sweden)
    Ladies Singles - Eva Asderaki (Greece)
    Mens Doubles - Mohammed El Janetti (Morocco)
    Ladies Doubles - Fiona Edwards (Great Britain)
    Mixed Doubles - Kelly Thomson (Great Britain)
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh him. Don't remind us. :rolleyes:
  • Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Quote basdfg as I cna't quote form an old thread (or don't know how to!) "What's the next tennis tournament that people on here follow. Is it the masters in Canada for both the men and women.
    There is woman's tournament from Palermo on ESPN from Friday I noticed."

===

Anything that's on TV - I follow WTA as I find ladies tennis far more interesting and skillful.

Good to hear we have some tennis again on Friday!
    Forum Member
    Oh him. Don't remind us. :rolleyes:

pardon:confused:
    Forum Member
    To Quote basdfg as I cna't quote form an old thread (or don't know how to!) "What's the next tennis tournament that people on here follow. Is it the masters in Canada for both the men and women.
    There is woman's tournament from Palermo on ESPN from Friday I noticed."

===

Anything that's on TV - I follow WTA as I find ladies tennis far more interesting and skillful.

Good to hear we have some tennis again on Friday!

There are a few clay court events in Europe now in Sweden and Stuttgart and one at Newport, Rhode Island in the USA

The women have moved on to Palermo and Budapest, and from there go to Sweden
    After that it is the North American Hardcourt season. The ladies begins theirs at Stanford, California before heading to Carlsbad, also California. Then it is to Toronto for the Canadian Open and then Mason, Ohio for a the last major warm up event before going to the US Open

Men start their hardcourt season at Washington, on to Indianapolis, Montreal and then Mason
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    There are a few clay court events in Europe now in Sweden and Stuttgart and one at Newport, Rhode Island in the USA

The women have moved on to Palermo and Budapest, and from there go to Sweden
    After that it is the North American Hardcourt season. The ladies begins theirs at Stanford, California before heading to Carlsbad, also California. Then it is to Toronto for the Canadian Open and then Mason, Ohio for a the last major warm up event before going to the US Open

Men start their hardcourt season at Washington, on to Indianapolis, Montreal and then Mason

Thanks for the info. Are any of them on TV before Palermo? I notice that starts today, but no TV coverage. Errani plays today.

Budapest also has doubles with Andrea Hlavackova &
    Lucie Hradecka which I won't be able to see.

There are some erratic online feeds and the Bet365 site are showing some tennis today.

I tend to only really watch WTA.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. Are any of them on TV before Palermo? I notice that starts today, but no TV coverage. Errani plays today.

Budapest also has doubles with Andrea Hlavackova &
    Lucie Hradecka which I won't be able to see.

There are some erratic online feeds and the Bet365 site are showing some tennis today.

I tend to only really watch WTA.

I think the next ones that will be on TV - of which channel I am not sure is Stanford, maybe a little from Carlsbad.

I think Sky have mens tournaments from Montreal and Mason

Might be wrong but I think there might be some coverage of the womens tournaments in Toronto and Mason on Eurosport

Sky have the US Open
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the next ones that will be on TV - of which channel I am not sure is Stanford, maybe a little from Carlsbad.

I think Sky have mens tournaments from Montreal and Mason

Might be wrong but I think there might be some coverage of the womens tournaments in Toronto and Mason on Eurosport

Sky have the US Open

Eurosport are good for WTA and I hope they continue to be.

Sky focus more on ATP - I guess there must be more interest in ATP than WTA.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did wonder if that Doubles win would be a big deal in Taiwan, seems it was.
    Forum Member
    Special mention to the WTA who are celebrating their 40th anniversary this year. Thought it was a nice 'nod' to appoint a WTA umpire to the ladies final. Eva Asderaki did a fine job
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New thread less than 10 minutes after i posted that preview. Screw it, I'm copying it over :p:o. I'll actually add in Newport this time and WTA Palermo as it's on TV. Budapest brings no interest for me though.

Moving away from the Wimbledon discussion for a second (I know a lot dislike the return to the clay after Wimbledon and simply don't care but it's still cool to keep track off for me either way).

ATP tour rolls on today with three 250 events, Bastad, Stuttgart and Newport .

Bastad
    1. Berdych
    2. Almagro
    3. Monaco
    4. Robredo
    5. Dimitrov
    6. Troicki
    7. Zeballos
    8. Verdasco

I like Robredo here based on current form (all 3 seeded Spanish for that matter), his run to the final looks decent. Berdych was great in Madrid and Rome but his clay court consistency is always iffy. Interesting to see how Dimitrov does here aswell.

Bastad also has some pretty cool doubles matches going on today with some of Sweden's all time greats - Edberg/Jarrad vs. Aspelin/Pernfors and also Bjorkman/Gustaffson vs. T. Johannsson/Wilander :)

Stuttgart
    1. Haas
    2. Kohlschreiber
    3. Chardy
    4. Paire
    5. Fognini
    6. Mayer
    7. Rosol
    8. Klizan

Other Notables: Monfils, Gulbis

Hard to look past the Veteran here at home but the 2 unseeded players could make a run, Monfils is set to meet Kohli in the quarters which should be a good match. Haas also set for a 2nd round meeting with one of the most disliked players on tour in Gulbis :p

Newport
    1. Querrey :yawn:
    2. Isner :mad:
    3. Sijsling
    4. Hewitt :cool:
    5. Roger-Vasselin
    6. Matosevic
    7. De Schepper
    8. Ram

Majority of the big name Americans are here (Querrey, Isner, Ram, Harrison, Sock, Blake, Kudla, Russell). Isner is the 2 time defending champion here and is looking to three-peat. As much as i would love to see him lose here I would say it's unlikely. A run from Hewitt would be good.

WTA Palermo
    1. Errani
    2. Vinci
    3. Mladenovic :)
    4. Zakopalova
    5. Dominguez Lino
    6. Begu
    7. Espinosa
    8. Pliskova

Errani is the defending champion and is the favourite by a considerable margin to repeat, Vinci obviously the main challenger. Mladenovic has great potential and it'd be great to see her do well here but you have to wonder if she'll be able to adapt quickly from grass to clay after winning the mixed doubles on Sunday.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who do people think will win Montreal and Cincy? Murray to dominate or maybe Nadal/Del Po might be have an outside chance?
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    New thread less than 10 minutes after i posted that preview. Screw it, I'm copying it over :p:o. I'll actually add in Newport this time and WTA Palermo as it's on TV. Budapest brings no interest for me though.

Moving away from the Wimbledon discussion for a second (I know a lot dislike the return to the clay after Wimbledon and simply don't care but it's still cool to keep track off for me either way).

ATP tour rolls on today with three 250 events, Bastad, Stuttgart and Newport .

Bastad
    1. Berdych
    2. Almagro
    3. Monaco
    4. Robredo
    5. Dimitrov
    6. Troicki
    7. Zeballos
    8. Verdasco

I like Robredo here based on current form (all 3 seeded Spanish for that matter), his run to the final looks decent. Berdych was great in Madrid and Rome but his clay court consistency is always iffy. Interesting to see how Dimitrov does here aswell.

Bastad also has some pretty cool doubles matches going on today with some of Sweden's all time greats - Edberg/Jarrad vs. Aspelin/Pernfors and also Bjorkman/Gustaffson vs. T. Johannsson/Wilander :)

Stuttgart
    1. Haas
    2. Kohlschreiber
    3. Chardy
    4. Paire
    5. Fognini
    6. Mayer
    7. Rosol
    8. Klizan

Other Notables: Monfils, Gulbis

Hard to look past the Veteran here at home but the 2 unseeded players could make a run, Monfils is set to meet Kohli in the quarters which should be a good match. Haas also set for a 2nd round meeting with one of the most disliked players on tour in Gulbis :p

Newport
    1. Querrey :yawn:
    2. Isner :mad:
    3. Sijsling
    4. Hewitt :cool:
    5. Roger-Vasselin
    6. Matosevic
    7. De Schepper
    8. Ram

Majority of the big name Americans are here (Querrey, Isner, Ram, Harrison, Sock, Blake, Kudla, Russell). Isner is the 2 time defending champion here and is looking to three-peat. As much as i would love to see him lose here I would say it's unlikely. A run from Hewitt would be good.

WTA Palermo
    1. Errani
    2. Vinci
    3. Mladenovic :)
    4. Zakopalova
    5. Dominguez Lino
    6. Begu
    7. Espinosa
    8. Pliskova

Errani is the defending champion and is the favourite by a considerable margin to repeat, Vinci obviously the main challenger. Mladenovic has great potential and it'd be great to see her do well here but you have to wonder if she'll be able to adapt quickly from grass to clay after winning the mixed doubles on Sunday.
    I had a look on the internet and I found a live stream of Dimtrov first round match.
    Is one set all at the moment. Third just starting.
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    So who do people think will win Montreal and Cincy? Murray to dominate or maybe Nadal/Del Po might be have an outside chance?

Can't be sure where I heard it but I think Nadal was going to play one hardcourt event in the run up to New York. That could have changed - I don't know.

I don't think Nadal can win New York. The hardcourts are tough on the knees - and over five sets - I don't think Nadal would last the pace

I think it will be Murray or Novak winning New York
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,570
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »

I'd say Andy might win Cincy, which he's won in the past.

It's actually quite even for both events, any one of top 5 plus healthy Tsonga or Delpo can win either events

A cop out I know :)
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I had a look on the internet and I found a live stream of Dimtrov first round match.
    Is one set all at the moment. Third just starting.

Wow, wasn't expecting a challenging 1st round for him. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't get a stream up :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently the new rhyming slang for a curry is an Andy Murray. :D
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Can't be sure where I heard it but I think Nadal was going to play one hardcourt event in the run up to New York. That could have changed - I don't know.

I don't think Nadal can win New York. The hardcourts are tough on the knees - and over five sets - I don't think Nadal would last the pace

I think it will be Murray or Novak winning New York

Unless he stages one of his miraculous (and oh so predictable) recoveries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather late to the party - but just wanted to record how overjoyed I am with Murray's win. After supporting him for so many years it feels quite extraordinary to know he pulled off the big one at last. From the first few points of this match, he was clearly the aggressor and I knew that this was really his time. My only disappoint was that I decided to watch it on a big screen at a pub in London - expecting it to be packed. It was three quarters empty - and those who were there weren't really watching it all. I left after the first set and went home - you can't be the only one yelling at the screen in the pub. Popped in a couple more pubs on the way home - the interest was minimal. Still, I'm overjoyed anyway. To say Murray is the holder of two current slams seems like a dream.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adding to the list of sevens, apparently Murray has been with his girlfriend for 7 years and broke Djoko in the seventh game of each set. Also, he won in 2013. If you take 13 from 20 then you get ... 7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    Adding to the list of sevens, apparently Murray has been with his girlfriend for 7 years and broke Djoko in the seventh game of each set. Also, he won in 2013. If you take 13 from 20 then you get ... 7.

Plus he lives at No. 7. :D
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    Wow, wasn't expecting a challenging 1st round for him. Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't get a stream up :(
    Dimtrov won in the end
    5-7, 6-2, 6-4.
    Was playing a Swedish wildcard who is ranked 1032 in the world.
    Do these live streams exist for the major tournaments and even the US open.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Apparently the new rhyming slang for a curry is an Andy Murray. :D

Ha ha :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, again I don't know how to quote from the old closed thread but to quote tennisman.

You get people like my mate in football who is doing an amazing job and I worked with some really good people.

I also worked with people who in the main had neither motivation or skills required.

So much youth sport activity is regraded as a bit of fun at the weekend and while this is how it should be for the kids, the adults should be the opposite, namely professional, organised and structured; set up to make the kids and young people think, 'that was great, I can't wait until next Saturday'.

Many adults despite getting the odd badge here and there are left to unleash their 'dad at the football screaming at his team' style coaching with numerous cliches and sound bytes taken from platitudes spouted out by adult managers and pundits about adult / professional sports.

======

The amateurism is the problem.

My boy was playing rugby at school and he knocked the ball on, deliberately, and scored a try, as he knew he could get away with it as the rugby coach was American and didn't understand the rules.

His football coach says he can't play out wide as despite the skills, he doesn't have the pace of a couple of other teammates, who don't really have any skill and have been given winger roles based on their speed.

The cricket team set out to have 11 all rounders consisting of average batsmen and bowlers and leave out the best batsmen and bowlers as they can't do both.

Whether it's better in different areas or we've just been unlucky with schools and outside coaches...
This discussion has been closed.