Price of a pint of lager?

Mitch DiabloMitch Diablo Posts: 82
Forum Member
Now I know some will be saying 'Ugh, don't drink it, for peasants, only drink ale, etc', but how much do you pay for a pint where you are? I've just paid £4.40 for a pint of Stella. I think the last time I bought a pint in the pub, I paid something like £3.80. Have we just had a budget? Seems dear to me.

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £1.99 for carlsberg Depends where you are really and what type of pub.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £2.90 for Tennents & £2.80 for Carlsburg in my local.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my students union where I work,

Carlsberg £2 is the cheapest you'll get.

I also work in a golf club bar, a pint of Fosters is £3.35, £3.80 for a Kronenberg.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't drink lager that often at all, I'm more of an ale guy, but I know that Tuborg is £1.80 in my local.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Fosters in Wetherspoons and some local social clubs is £2.20.
    Actually the bar at the bottom of the local Best Western hotel does tend to match Wetherspoons either on Fosters or Stella4.

Most other pubs it has risen to £2.85 and in the smarter pubs £3.20.
    Dearest i've had around here is a pint of Tiger for about £3.85.

That's just in pubs at normal rates, not when they go into nightclub mode.
  • Mitch DiabloMitch Diablo Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I honestly believe sales people make an on the spot decision based on the product and how much labour they see themselves putting into the process. Whatever happened to fixed prices?
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be thankful you don't live in Greenland, average price for lager there is £7.35.

http://www.pintprice.com/
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,633
    Forum Member
    It would depend on the brand and the pub I bought it in as to how much a pint of lager would cost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Usually Carlsberg for me (in Leeds). Cheapest I've paid is £2 when Wetherspoons had it going cheap and the most I've paid for it is £3.80. Anything over £3.50 is too much for me, think £2.50/£2.75 is just about right really.
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Just be thankful you don't live in Greenland, average price for lager there is £7.35.

http://www.pintprice.com/

Yes I believe Sweden is even more expensive. I think I'll head for The Czech Republic.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I know some will be saying 'Ugh, don't drink it, for peasants, only drink ale, etc', but how much do you pay for a pint where you are? I've just paid £4.40 for a pint of Stella. I think the last time I bought a pint in the pub, I paid something like £3.80. Have we just had a budget? Seems dear to me.

Its the old supply and demand chestnut again.

If nobody paid it then prices would soon drop.
    Forum Member
    Usually Carlsberg for me (in Leeds). Cheapest I've paid is £2 when Wetherspoons had it going cheap and the most I've paid for it is £3.80. Anything over £3.50 is too much for me, think £2.50/£2.75 is just about right really.
    Carlsberg is the cheapest up here in Wetherspoons/Lloyds. It's currently £1.90 a pint, but it's not a very nice pint (for people who enjoy bog standard lager). Tuborg used to be the cheapest. Can't actually remember if they still sell it.

Baltika is a nice bottle. 5.5% and it's £2.45
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £2-20 here in 'Spoons (South Wales), most other pubs generally around that mark - was paying £4-80 in the pubs around Wembley Stadium (Green Man, Torch) in May.

Paid over four quid for a bog standard pint of lager in Brighton recently.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow - £4.40. So a night out at these prices would cost around £50 including cigarettes if you smoke and some money towards a taxi.

When I started going out to pubs in 1989 £15 was plenty. Pints could easily be found at £1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £3.50 at my local.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £3.40 pint of Foster's
    £3.70 pint of Beck's Vier
    £4 pint of Amstel
    £5 pint of Peroni :eek:
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    My dad used to say he remembered the time when a pint, a haircut and 20 **** all cost the same. So on that basis either a pint is quite cheap or the other two are really expensive.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad used to say he remembered the time when a pint, a haircut and 20 **** all cost the same. So on that basis either a pint is quite cheap or the other two are really expensive.

I'm not sure if a pint and 20 **** have ever cost the same?

In the late eighties a pint was about a pound. Twenty **** were about 3-4 pounds I think.

Maybe someone who bought them in the 60s or 70s could say if it was different then.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chains up here, but the local boozers/hotels do Tennants for about £3.00 and Stella for £3.30 or thereabouts. Only have one or two when I'm out now!
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,977
    Forum Member
    My local is £3.05 for a pint of Carling which is the only lager I will drink, don't think that's too bad
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    £4 bloody 30p
    Forum Member
    £3.40 pint of Foster's
    £3.70 pint of Beck's Vier
    £4 pint of Amstel
    £5 pint of Peroni :eek:

We used to call them 'designer beers'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Designer Foster's lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if a pint and 20 **** have ever cost the same?

In the late eighties a pint was about a pound. Twenty **** were about 3-4 pounds I think.

Maybe someone who bought them in the 60s or 70s could say if it was different then.

In the 60s both a pint and 10 **** were less than 2 shillings (10p)
    Forum Member
    We used to call them 'designer beers'.
    Wetherspoons calls them World Beers - even though the most popular draught lagers are advertised as an Aussie favourite and the big european ones - even if they're made in the UK :D

The bottles are nice though. Baltika as I said, and Tyskie and the like.