Options

A Thread For Anyone, Any Gigs, and A More General Discussion of Everything (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linux is fast becoming a good gaming platform and that will continue as long as Steam continue to support it. Maybe in the future you will be able to ditch the Windows partition and go with Linux :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Yeah but the games I want don't work on Linux and I don't think it's very easy to install Linux on a Mac unless I use a program like VMware Fusion or Parallels. I chose Windows 7 because I was able to dual boot it. XP is too old, Vista sucks and I'm not too fond of 8 and my Macbook Pro is too old for W8 (it's a mid-2010 one).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give it time. More games will be ported over to Linux and it will become easier to install on Macs eventually :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I play a lot of older 90s and 00s games rather than newer games and most of 'em are Windows-only. Windows is easy to dual boot on a Mac. You use a program called Boot Camp Assistant (developed by Apple themselves) and you just follow the instructions on screen and then sit around browsing the 'net on another Mac while waiting for it to install :D I think there is a way to triple boot Mac OSX, Windows and a Linux distro on a Mac but it's really complicated. If I was to give Linux a go I'd probably be better off trying it in a virtual machine first.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening to Gemma Hayes here. So bloody talented, and Irish too. Good Tipperary lass :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evening HM!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How's Germany CNBC :)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's interesting but they are so backwards when it comes to tech! It's so hard to find free wifi in any cafe or restaurant :( In Ireland or even the UK they have it everywhere :D TV is bizarre to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is surprising I would have expected them to be just as Tech forward if not more. Where abouts in Germany are you (avoiding the Tv :p)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah even Ireland is more advanced! A lot of mainstream music videos are also blocked on Youtube in Germany :( I'm in the Moselle region where they make the wine (and no I didn't drink any!). I'll be here 'til Friday. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah even Ireland is more advanced! A lot of mainstream music videos are also blocked on Youtube in Germany :( I'm in the Moselle region where they make the wine (and no I didn't drink any!). I'll be here 'til Friday. :cool:

You can thank the various anti piracy groups and collection agencies for that. They are really over zealous in Germany.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can thank the various anti piracy groups and collection agencies for that. They are really over zealous in Germany.

What did they do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did they do?

They are just so ridiculous for collecting royalties from anyone who dares play music in public (regardless of whether they make money from it) and demanding stupid royalties from Internet services like Youtube. Remarkably, these royalties never make it to artists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are just so ridiculous for collecting royalties from anyone who dares play music in public (regardless of whether they make money from it) and demanding stupid royalties from Internet services like Youtube. Remarkably, these royalties never make it to artists.

I think I heard about that. It's just corporate greed really >:( And where do the royalties for the music go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I heard about that. It's just corporate greed really >:( And where do the royalties for the music go?

God knows. Probably into the coffers of the collection agencies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    God knows. Probably into the coffers of the collection agencies.

That's outrageous! How do they get away with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's outrageous! How do they get away with it?

They donate massive amounts to government so that it is kept legal.

This is why I say that piracy is not the biggest enemy of artists, the industry is. Musicians have been ripped off by record labels, collection agencies and the like for decades but far too many people fail to see this falling for the industry rhetoric.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Morning :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Afternoon! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ How are you?

I've gotta pop out for a bit but I'll be back by 3:30 (hopefully!) I won't be out for any longer than I have to be.

Speak to you all later on :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm back :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WB Mimi :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Hav :)

Now to relax! Gonna go and put comfortable clothes on and throw my hair back into a messy bun, grab my laptop and have a cup of tea. I love my creature comforts :D