Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Re: using XBMC. Thank you, yes that seemed to switch off AD, but could you explain the following please:

In Videos I clicked on Humax and then the "0" and was able to watch what I believed at the time to be live TV. I could watch whatever channel the Humax was tuned into. Everything seemed to be in real time until I switched the TV on, at this point the PC picture froze. Then if I clicked the "0" again the program I had been watching started again (a recording) If I changed the channel on the Humax a live program started again.

Any information would be great - Thanks
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: using XBMC. Thank you, yes that seemed to switch off AD, but could you explain the following please:

In Videos I clicked on Humax and then the "0" and was able to watch what I believed at the time to be live TV. I could watch whatever channel the Humax was tuned into. Everything seemed to be in real time until I switched the TV on, at this point the PC picture froze. Then if I clicked the "0" again the program I had been watching started again (a recording) If I changed the channel on the Humax a live program started again.

Any information would be great - Thanks

Don't know above the freeze but o.ts is the live buffer and should have the current programme on it from the start or where the box was turned on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I can dual boot my computer into XP or Windows 7.

I have got all this working in both.

After connecting through FileZilla when I am in XP I can see and use the files on the Humax HDR in Network connections instantly.

In Windows 7 it is never there instantly. If left alone it usually gets there but this might be 30 minutes or an hour later.

Does anyone have any suggestions why Windows 7 does not find the Humax as quickly as XP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaX wrote: »
    I can dual boot my computer into XP or Windows 7.

I have got all this working in both.

After connecting through FileZilla when I am in XP I can see and use the files on the Humax HDR in Network connections instantly.

In Windows 7 it is never there instantly. If left alone it usually gets there but this might be 30 minutes or an hour later.

Does anyone have any suggestions why Windows 7 does not find the Humax as quickly as XP

Does net view /all show \\FOXSAT-HDR ?
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaX wrote: »

I have this problem too, it's not just the humax that takes time to appear. My NAS, netbook and laptop struggle to show. I try refreshing the file browser and sometimes it might help, but generally not. It's right pain in the butt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this problem too, it's not just the humax that takes time to appear. My NAS, netbook and laptop struggle to show. I try refreshing the file browser and sometimes it might help, but generally not. It's right pain in the butt.

Are the all in the same workgroup? The HDR's default (changeable) is HOME. Using Windows 7 mine shows up without delay (using name not IP).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Well I have found a way around the problem. Once the Foxsat HDR icon appeared under the Network I copied the icon to the desktop. Now after I connect through FileZilla I simply click on the Foxsat HDR icon on the desktop and this takes me directly to the files on the Humax. Some time later the icon appears in the Network as well. All of this is surprising because, as I undertood it, one of the things Windows 7 was meant to do better than XP was networking!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Are the all in the same workgroup? The HDR's default (changeable) is HOME. Using Windows 7 mine shows up without delay (using name not IP).

I'll answer the best I can cos networking is like some dark witchcraft to me.. :o

My XP netbook can see:-

Home:

Foxsat HDR Networking

MSHome:
    NAS
    netbook

Workgroup:
    Win7 Desktop

My Desktop can only see 'Homegroup' and no other network places

however, when the desktop is performing as I would expect, it lists all devces under 'Network' within the file browser.

All devices configured themselves to each respective location and I can't see how to move them to one group.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll answer the best I can cos networking is like some dark witchcraft to me.. :o

My XP netbook can see:-

Home:

Foxsat HDR Networking

MSHome:
    NAS
    netbook

Workgroup:
    Win7 Desktop

My Desktop can only see 'Homegroup' and no other network places

however, when the desktop is performing as I would expect, it lists all devices under 'Network' within the file browser.

All devices configured themselves to each respective location and I can't see how to move them to one group.

Well clearly they all are in different work groups which will make life more difficult - go to > control Panel > System > and depending which operating system you are on then - you need to display the computer name and workgroup - change workgroup to 'HOME'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Well 30 mins and I was up and running.
    But it did take me 20 mins to configure the other router to act as a repeater.....
    I recorded top gear last night an watched it an hour later on my laptop. All OK but every now and then a small hitch, but nothing to worry about. I suspect that that has something to do with the wireless connection. I think the antenna have to be adjusted a little to get the best performance....

Anyway a big thanks to all that have made this possible...

Now then, when can I watch divx on my Hummy ??
    Forum Member
    Hi All

Can somebody explain the following confusing situation to me please:

When I use XBMC to view the files on my Humax foxsat HDR, I find that recorded TV programs are mostly missing. Sometimes they are there and I can watch them, but not always. For instance, I recorded Secret Dairy of a Call Girl, it's in the directory when viewed in "windows explorer", but nowhere to be found in XBMC.

All my own films are there and playable, the problem is with TV recordings.

Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Many thanks

Robert
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Can somebody explain the following confusing situation to me please:

When I use XBMC to view the files on my Humax foxsat HDR, I find that recorded TV programs are mostly missing. Sometimes they are there and I can watch them, but not always. For instance, I recorded Secret Dairy of a Call Girl, it's in the directory when viewed in "windows explorer", but nowhere to be found in XBMC.

All my own films are there and playable, the problem is with TV recordings.

Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Many thanks

Robert

Yes - see this thread #49 - I use a scantime of 5.
  • robbie2robbie2 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Well clearly they all are in different work groups which will make life more difficult - go to > control Panel > System > and depending which operating system you are on then - you need to display the computer name and workgroup - change workgroup to 'HOME'

Great stuff REPASSAC - you’ve come up trumps yet again!
    This solution worked for me even though I am currently only running a Windows 7 desktop and the HDR on my network: it had been taking 8 mins for the HDR to appear in Windows Explorer and VLC Player.
    Forum Member
    Thank you Repassac. That does the trick. I had done this before, but I think I may not have saved the changes:sleep:
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know above the freeze but o.ts is the live buffer and should have the current programme on it from the start or where the box was turned on.
    It's only 30 minutes. "now" is somewhere in there. When the Humax gets to the end of the file, it starts recording over the beginning. If you play to the end of the file, you have to go back to the beginning.

If your PC fetches the file more quickly than the Humax writes to it, then it'll get ahead of the Humax and start getting the "old" part of the file, and you won't see live TV anymore - it'll suddenly jump back by 30 minutes!

tl/dr; it's a pain to try to watch TV like this. Don't bother (IMO!).

Cheers,
    David.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... - you need to display the computer name and workgroup - change workgroup to 'HOME'

Thanks REPASSAC, I'll bear this in mind for now. I found the troubleshooter in win7 and ran it. It discovered a couple of issues and fixed them and currently all the network devices are available with a quick refresh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Hi there, I have got the file server up and running.
    The hummy is connected to a repeater. The repeater is paired with my router. I access the files via WiFi.

So far so good. But every 30 seconds I get a hitch in the video and audio. It does get on your nerves after a few minutes - any ideas ??

It can't be the wifi, as I stream HD content from the Net on a regular basis. And it is roughly every 30 seconds . hmmmmmmm:mad::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    It's only 30 minutes. "now" is somewhere in there. When the Humax gets to the end of the file, it starts recording over the beginning. If you play to the end of the file, you have to go back to the beginning.

If your PC fetches the file more quickly than the Humax writes to it, then it'll get ahead of the Humax and start getting the "old" part of the file, and you won't see live TV anymore - it'll suddenly jump back by 30 minutes!

tl/dr; it's a pain to try to watch TV like this. Don't bother (IMO!).

Cheers,
    David.

I think a channel change will set the recording to the start of the very large file.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far-lands wrote: »
    Hi there, I have got the file server up and running.
    The hummy is connected to a repeater. The repeater is paired with my router. I access the files via WiFi.

So far so good. But every 30 seconds I get a hitch in the video and audio. It does get on your nerves after a few minutes - any ideas ??

It can't be the wifi, as I stream HD content from the Net on a regular basis. And it is roughly every 30 seconds . hmmmmmmm:mad::cry:

Depends how you are streaming that HD from the Net - how much buffering is there when you do that - quite a lot I suspect.

If you try without the wifi is it better ... it is for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member

Why is this file so big! It's showing in the region of 18G!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woolfynorm wrote: »

We think that it is sized to be able to handle a very large HD film. If the end is reached it starts from the start again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It needs to satisfy a two hour buffer, but at the time the box was developed BBC HD were transmitting at much higher bit rates than they do currently.
    Forum Member

If you play the O file from the beginning, the buffer on the file is much longer than 2 hours, (assuming the box has been buffering for more than 2 hours) This may be useful??
    Forum Member
    What you need is Ray-dons latest version of AV2HDR v1.5

the problem with the old version is that the .HMT file contains the location of the three files and this only allows transfering between the humax hard drive and a connected usb devise without the file path becoming corrupt. The new version automatically creates the new file location within the .HMT file which then enables the Humax to see and play the newly uploaded video

This software appears to be able to create files to transfer to the HDR via the AV2HDR application. Has any one used it?
    Can you import AVI files to it, I have several films I would like to transfer. A easy user guide would be appreciated?

Thanks,
    Woolfynorm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This software appears to be able to create files to transfer to the HDR via the AV2HDR application. Has any one used it?
    Can you import AVI files to it, I have several films I would like to transfer. A easy user guide would be appreciated?

Thanks,
    Woolfynorm
    See here . It is for the older, non-FTP version, but the conversion parts are the same. It shows one way of doing it using some tools - there are others.
    AV2HDR v1.5 with FTP is excellent!!