EE 4G Coverage improving really quickly!

Comments

• mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,393
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    You just made me laugh so hard :D:D
    Haha, good. Always pleased to raise a smile on a dull Sunday evening. :)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    EE just added 9 more towns. Amersham, Bolton, Chelmsford, Hemel Hempstead, Southend-on-Sea, Stockport, Sunderland, Sutton Coldfield and Wolverhampton all now have 4G coverage.

45% of the population covered after only 90 days. 27 towns and cities to date.

Impressive.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE just added 9 more towns. Amersham, Bolton, Chelmsford, Hemel Hempstead, Southend-on-Sea, Stockport, Sunderland, Sutton Coldfield and Wolverhampton all now have 4G coverage.

45% of the population covered after only 90 days. 27 towns and cities to date.

Impressive.

To think it took O2 8 years to get to 80% 3G, and EE have got to 45% in 90 days. I appreciate the higer the percentage, the harder it gets and longer it takes though.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just gone from a very variable 3g IE dial up speeds in the evenings to 2mb/s in the middle of the night to a stunning 23 + mb/s on 4G and I Live out in the sticks ( OL3 post code )
    This is the proof
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2481889493.png

I can watch iplayer in HD with no buffering = fantastic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelmsford!? Awesome!!
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I still think the ping is too high on there LTE offering. It should be alot less.
    Forum Member
    Wireless anything is going to have a higher ping.. I usually get 28-45.

It's generally better than what folks are getting in the states on LTE...
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are pinging the speedtest node though, try it on your desktop and you'll get 30ms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's incredible how fast they are rolling out 4G!
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    It's actually not that incredible if you think about what it involves.
    Yes, they are having to replace every 2G cell and in fact I suspect the trickiest part is possibly retuning the 2G TDMA cell structure to take into account the extra power and sensitivity.

After that, bung in an LTE card and switch it on!! Ok, not quite that simple I'm sure but not a lot involved once the 2G is sorted. LTE is to an extent self organising.

The whole thing is governed by how fast they can rip out the old kit and install new antennas and cabs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    It's actually not that incredible if you think about what it involves.
    Yes, they are having to replace every 2G cell and in fact I suspect the trickiest part is possibly retuning the 2G TDMA cell structure to take into account the extra power and sensitivity.

After that, bung in an LTE card and switch it on!! Ok, not quite that simple I'm sure but not a lot involved once the 2G is sorted. LTE is to an extent self organising.

The whole thing is governed by how fast they can rip out the old kit and install new antennas and cabs.

Oh yeah it's far easier than rolling out 3G for obvious reasons but still impressive how it's going at the moment :)
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has been discussed before, the networks have been rolling out multi technology kit for a while not just EE, in the most part a software upgrade is all thats required to turn on the LTE. But they'll turn on the LTE in a staged rollout to ensure the core network can keep up with demand
  • sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    New 4g upgrade in Shirley, Solihull.
    bts near highlands road now live, giving me a stonking usable signal in building :-)

Root Test
    Forum Member
    Has been discussed before, the networks have been rolling out multi technology kit for a while not just EE, in the most part a software upgrade is all thats required to turn on the LTE. But they'll turn on the LTE in a staged rollout to ensure the core network can keep up with demand

You'd be surprised how little work and multi tech upgrades have been done by all networks so far. When it comes to EE it is literally being turned on as it is upgraded. Systematically targeting certain cities in waves.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, down here (South Hams) Vodafone and O2's 2013 rollout plans are non existent. Perhaps 15-18 cells each.
    EE are going proper bonkers like men (sorry, people) possessed! The South Hams isn't that big and they have 54 sites planned for upgrades! Anyone know if these antennas can do 700-800Mhz as well as 1800?
  • bigpete15bigpete15 Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if these antennas can do 700-800Mhz as well as 1800?

They are all dual band antennas so will be running 1800Mhz and 2100Mhz for 2G,3G and LTE, so any further frequency bands would require additional antennas.
    Forum Member
    bigpete15 wrote: »
    They are all dual band antennas so will be running 1800Mhz and 2100Mhz so any further frequency bands would require additional antennas.

Actually the existing ones are physically separate for 1800 and 2100. They have to be since UMTS works in a different way.
    For example the new 2G refresh antennas won't affect 3G at all.
    What I meant is will the new 2G/LTE antennas be capable of 700-1800Mhz, or will they have to add another antenna for LTE Advanced/5G?
    Forum Member
    Actually the existing ones are physically separate for 1800 and 2100. They have to be since UMTS works in a different way.
    For example the new 2G refresh antennas won't affect 3G at all.
    What I meant is will the new 2G/LTE antennas be capable of 700-1800Mhz, or will they have to add another antenna for LTE Advanced/5G?

If the antennas for 2g and 3G have to be separate how can the networks provide coverage in all directions on 2g & 3G from one site with only 3 antennas on the head frame?
    Forum Member
    If the antennas for 2g and 3G have to be separate how can the networks provide coverage in all directions on 2g & 3G from one site with only 3 antennas on the head frame?

I knew you were going to ask that :)
    Found out the other day and I've posted it elsewhere.
    The vertical antenna bars you can see are just the outer protective housing. Inside there are two separate antennas.
    EE have stated that the better signal from the more sensitive antennas will improve 2G. No mention of 3G.
    If 2G and 3G were transmitted from the same physical antenna then the new antennas would affect 3G too.
    There would be no point in boosting 3G as it breaths and a mast and all the adjacent masts would reduce power to compensate.
    2G and LTE don't breath and run at fixed power outputs and therefore will benefit from better antennas.

To put it another way, if you are on the edge of 3G coverage and the cell comes under heavy load you will lose 3G because the cell breaths in reducing its footprint. Having more sensitive antennas would be pointless as the cell would just breath in more to compensate.
    Forum Member
    I knew you were going to ask that :)
    Found out the other day and I've posted it elsewhere.
    The vertical antenna bars you can see are just the outer protective housing. Inside there are two separate antennas.

I don't mean to sound smart but what you see is a sealed unit, yes it does contain two separate antennas, that's why it's called a dual band antenna.
    The complete antenna unit is swapped during the upgrade, 3no on some sites, 6no on others and the lamppost type sites have a single trisector antenna unit.
    It's well mentioned before that the 2g side is greatly improved but I would imagine there would be some difference to 3G, in some cases 6 to 8 year old equipment is being replaced with the latest.

Your point regarding 2g & LTE at 1800 on one band and 3G at 2100 on the other band of the antenna and how they work regarding breathing etc is my understanding of how it works as well, the following confuses me though!
    I know of some local O2 sites which for years have been running 2g at 900mhz and 1800mhz (dual band antennas) and now they have 3G at 900mhz but there doesn't appear to be any additional antenna, I'm not sure how that works!
    Forum Member
    I don't mean to sound smart but what you see is a sealed unit, yes it does contain two separate antennas, that's why it's called a dual band antenna.
    The complete antenna unit is swapped during the upgrade, 3no on some sites, 6no on others and the lamppost type sites have a single trisector antenna unit.
    It's well mentioned before that the 2g side is greatly improved but I would imagine there would be some difference to 3G, in some cases 6 to 8 year old equipment is being replaced with the latest.

Your point regarding 2g & LTE at 1800 on one band and 3G at 2100 on the other band of the antenna and how they work regarding breathing etc is my understanding of how it works as well, the following confuses me though!
    I know of some local O2 sites which for years have been running 2g at 900mhz and 1800mhz (dual band antennas) and now they have 3G at 900mhz but there doesn't appear to be any additional antenna, I'm not sure how that works!

Feel free to sound smart :) I think I misunderstood you. I thought you meant 1800/2100 from the same physical antenna. My bad.
    If that is the case with O2 then I'm confused as well. Perhaps someone else knows.

On the MBNL 3G antennas, I have fairly reliable confirmation that they are being replaced like for like. There may be some slight improvement but sensitivity is pretty much the same and power levels will be the same.
    With the 2G/LTE antennas the estimate is around a 35% increase in sensitivity and power levels will be around 3-4db higher.
    Forum Member
    Redcoat wrote: »
    It's clearly in EE's interests for them to ensure their 4G network gets to as many people as possible before the rest are able to jump on the same technology wagon. EE will only get this chance to get a head start ahead of everyone else and by ensuring their service is given enough breath which is good for marketing purposes, they'll have something to hand compared to everyone else at least for the next few months.

Of course all the networks have established 98% or greater 2G coverage which as we are experiencing right now with EEs savage LTE rollout, makes upgrading relatively quick.
    What surprises me is the lack of any major rollout plans from both O2 and Vodafone. You would think they would be busy upgrading cells like crazy ahead of the auctions but my local planning site (and apparently most others) show virtually no activity.
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would they need planning permission to add the other operator to their mast ... Eg O2 adding a voda transmitter to an already built O2 mast?
    Forum Member
    Wow! Thanks for that long explanation. Makes my effort look very amateurish and basic.
    I've learnt a lot there. You certainly know your radio stuff.
    Forum Member
    redcoat is pretty much spot on.

O2 adding Voda and the opposite does at most sites need planning permission.

Dual or triple band antennas generally are much thicker than the standard. Most however are single band either 2G or 3G (freq depending on operator)

However the much larger multi operator sites tend to be dual/tri and the Three sided frame types like these are nearly always dual or tri. http://imgur.com/xeq9wIH (o2)

However it is unlikely any of these sites already in place are fully compatible with the 800 freq that the latest auction is all about. This will require new antenna added or new masts. This is what i meant by the lack of dual tech masts.

I can't talk about what i know of O2/Voda's roll out but EE (and therefore Three to some extent) will have the advantage for sometime.