Mary & Martha BBC1 8.30 tonight

2»

Comments

• squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what and ending... just hanging. just like it is realistically. excellent show!
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was pretty incredible. Had me in tears through most of it. Very understated acting, beautifully done.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a brilliant little drama, had everything and then more.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brilliant Friday night programming :rolleyes: :)
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant programme and the sort that can raise awareness hopefully.
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alr837 wrote: »
    She took medical advice nd they said it wasnt needed. Part of the problem I that mosquitos doesn't stick to the lines on map!

All the more reason to take your anti-malarials.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the more reason to take your anti-malarials.

Problem is that people don't because of the side effects.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was more heart hitting than any big celebrity visiting africa and asking us to pick up the phone. I donated the cost of two mosquito netswith tear filled eyes!
  • KentLassieKentLassie Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    What a moving hour and a half!!! I'm just beginning to recover from my blubbering through the last half. I'm surprised that there was no appeal for funds after the show, but I did find it on the website (here).

There were some BIG names in this drama from both sides of the Atlantic, not least of which was James Wood, who played Mary's father.
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopping malaria isnt just about giving everyone medication , you also need to reduce your chances of getting bitten too - hence nets, deet repellent etc.,
    When Richard Curtis first started writing the film 1 million children were dying from it a year, today it us 650,000 - that's a huge drop, but still a long way to go. Even in areas where malaria isnt a threat, things such as dengue fever are. Locals are more likely to die from the haemoragic form than tourists. There is no anti-dengue treatment to take, and the mosquitos that carry this are out in the day, unlike the malaria carrying ones

Regardless of whether the character should have gone against medical advice is really a side issue, it was a powerful thought provoking film
  • kaob82kaob82 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Watching it now as just v+ it, this made me want to donate much more than any other comic relief appeal. I think the celeb bits where they normally cry normally make me switch off but this was really special and much less cynical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I thought it was an excellent film from start to end.
    Now, does anyone know where the music came from, who was it was just great and I can't find out anywhere
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KentLassie wrote: »
    What a moving hour and a half!!! I'm just beginning to recover from my blubbering through the last half. I'm surprised that there was no appeal for funds after the show, but I did find it on the website (here).

There were some BIG names in this drama from both sides of the Atlantic, not least of which was James Wood, who played Mary's father.

Thanks so much for the website - in a way I'm glad they didn't have an appeal at the end. It would have cheapened it somehow and if people watched it and were moved enough, they surely will try to find out more and donate.
    Wonderful drama... we should have more of that quality!
  • jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she should have given him anti-malarial tablets.

Her choice (unlike many born in Africa).
    alr837 wrote: »
    She took medical advice nd they said it wasnt needed. Part of the problem I that mosquitos doesn't stick to the lines on map!

The travel/medical advice she took was based on SA and they then travelled to Mozambique which is high risk all year round.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Was this base on a real life story :confused:

I did enjoy it and it was filmed beautifully BUT .. the ending about the malaria nets I was a bit confused?

I paid for about 15 :o of these through donating when Chris Moyles and the others climbed Mount Kilimanjaro a few years back for, I think, Comic relief.

Was this to get more people to donate :confused:
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    This was more heart hitting than any big celebrity visiting africa and asking us to pick up the phone. I donated the cost of two mosquito netswith tear filled eyes!

I haven't watched it all yet but I heard Richard Curtis say that one scene was based on a Chris Moyles film from last time when he went out for **** and the child he was watching had died by the time he went back in
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    This was absolutely incredible. Heart wrenching, moving and just faultless.

I wonder if Richard Curtis holds malaria dear, if he'd had a personal experience with it, as it seems quite a random (sorry, couldn't think of a better word :o) subject to write a long drama about.
  • digimoandigimoan Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    What a heartbreaking drama, as said before much better than celebs going out there

Well written and well acted
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Brilliant drama and acting.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and like others I was in tears for a lot of it.
  • marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cried my way through this last night.

Just by chance yesterday afternoon I was reading in the Daily Mirror (in the hairdressers!) the story of the mother/son who this was loosely based on. Very touching story and it made the drama so much more real.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    This was absolutely incredible. Heart wrenching, moving and just faultless.

I wonder if Richard Curtis holds malaria dear, if he'd had a personal experience with it, as it seems quite a random (sorry, couldn't think of a better word :o) subject to write a long drama about.

Richard Curtis: why I wrote Mary and Martha
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great,if not tearfull story, Fine cast, acting scenery etc..just so bloody sad. It's frightening to think that Malaria takes so many lives.Very moving and I am still not convinced that mozzies can't pass on HIV, even though the experts say no they cant...
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally found time to watch this tonight and thought it was excellent. Brenda Blethyn is a superstar in my eyes.