When continuity announcers should just keep quiet!

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
You can expect those chuntering morons at Red Bee Media to interrupt most things, but the final music on Carols from King's? Yes, it's when the end credits are on, but, literally, is nothing sacred?! >:(>:(>:(

Comments

• nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you. I wasn't impressed at all with that tonight.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    I agree with you. I wasn't impressed at all with that tonight.

I've submitted a complaint to the BBC. I urge everyone else watching it to do the same.

I watched it last year and I would've remembered if that had been interrupted, and it wasn't.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid the sad truth is nothing is indeed sacred any more, last year we had a BBC reporter talking over the 1100 silence on
    November 11 which was absolutely unforgiveable.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Continuity announcers wreck all programmes with talking over the end credits. They should shut it!!!

Braodacsters across ALL channels with the practice of credit squeezing. I ould urge that they STOP DOING IT!!!
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I saw that today and slightly less seriously also on Channel 4 over the end credits of the Snowman at the moment the snowman melts and the music drifts away. Instead we got some guy telling us about tomorrow.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Continuity announcers wreck all programmes with talking over the end credits. They should shut it!!!

Braodacsters across ALL channels with the practice of credit squeezing. I ould urge that they STOP DOING IT!!!

This, itv are just as bad talking over the end credits :mad:
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I've submitted a complaint to the BBC. I urge everyone else watching it to do the same.

Is there a link to complain to? Newswatch is one.

Have you noticed what broadcasters do at the end of a film? speed the credits up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    I agree. I saw that today and slightly less seriously also on Channel 4 over the end credits of the Snowman at the moment the snowman melts and the music drifts away. Instead we got some guy telling us about tomorrow.

Do you mean tonight's Snowman & The Snowdog? (since The Snowman isn't on until tomorrow)

On C4 HD, the end credits weren't talked over. I had the remote in hand just in case.

I noticed tonight, however, that they put an ad break in whereas there wasn't one last year. They stopped it after the plane lands. I wasn't expecting that so it was a bit jarring.
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    This, itv are just as bad talking over the end credits :mad:

ITV are shit all over. Same with C5. I long since gave up any hope with either of them.
    Is there a link to complain to? Newswatch is one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

I hate the revamped site with a passion as, instead of answering a load of questions on one page, it now takes you to a new page for every pissing question >:(

And then also asks "Do you want a reply?" Well, duh! I'm not doing it for the sake of my health(!)
    Have you noticed what broadcasters do at the end of a film? speed the credits up.

Yep. It's a sorry state of affairs.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean tonight's Snowman & The Snowdog? (since The Snowman isn't on until tomorrow)

The Snowman was also on Sunday at 18:25, and yes, the credits were squeezed and voiceover talking at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The Snowman was also on Sunday at 18:25, and yes, the credits were squeezed and voiceover talking at the end.

Bastards :(

I saw a bit of it when it was on last year. Seemed odd that they cropped it top and bottom to 16:9. You can have 4:3 HD, so I don't know why they didn't do that.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV and other broadcasters dont give a damn about what the viewers think. They will still credit squeeze end of programme credits and still bleat over the credits at the end of programmes

Message to itv STOP THE CREDIT SQUEEZING IN 2014 or find an alternative less intrusive way to promote upcoming programmes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Credit squeezing the worst of the worst! I actually want to know who starred in the show I just watched, and am not interested in what's on this time next!
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm usually long gone once the credits start rolling, so they can do what the hell they like.

Like charity adverts, easily avoided
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's unfair to insult the actual people doing the chatting, they are just doing a job.

It's the people in charge who should be insulted, specifically channel bosses.

They won't change anything of course.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Continuity announcers these days are just an unwanted irritant. At least before they used to have authority and warmth about them and didn't out stay their welcome or barge into a programme that had barely finished.

I was disgusted when they spoke over the credits of the Doctor Who 50th special because, with what a landmark moment in broadcasting that was, I really thought they would have been instructed to keep their yaps shut for once. You are right, OP - nothing is scared. :(
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's unfair to insult the actual people doing the chatting, they are just doing a job.

It's the people in charge who should be insulted, specifically channel bosses.

They won't change anything of course.

Quite right, and I say that as someone who - a long time ago - used to do the job on regional ITV. You just get an instruction to do it. In my days, in the 1990s it was a practice that was just coming in and sometimes myself and the transmission controller would agree not to do it if we felt it was inappropriate. I suspect you'd be taking a much bigger risk with your job if you did the same today.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me more is the sheer volume of the announcers. Why do they have to be twice as loud as the programmes and trailers? I sit down to watch Match of the Day and that bloody guy who introduces it makes me turn the volume down, then I need to turn it up again once the programmes starts. >_<
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on on the 22nd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    last year we had a BBC reporter talking over the 1100 silence on

That's disgusting. Does no one know the meaning of showing respect anymore? >:( :cry:
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I'm afraid the sad truth is nothing is indeed sacred any more, last year we had a BBC reporter talking over the 1100 silence on
    That's not quite how it happened. I remember watching at the time. The only official national silence is at 11.00 on Remembrance Sunday, which this year was on 10 November. This was marked by the BBC with due respect.

The following day the BBC was covering memorial services at 11.00 across the UK, most of which showed people playing music and/or making speeches. As they crossed between various towns and cities they happened upon one town which had decided to adopt an additional one minute silence. The commentators were already in the middle of an interview, so there wasn't much they could do about it!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not quite how it happened. I remember watching at the time. The only official national silence is at 11.00 on Remembrance Sunday, which this year was on 10 November. This was marked by the BBC with due respect.

The following day the BBC was covering memorial services at 11.00 across the UK, most of which showed people playing music and/or making speeches. As they crossed between various towns and cities they happened upon one town which had decided to adopt an additional one minute silence. The commentators were already in the middle of an interview, so there wasn't much they could do about it!

Thanks for th explanation, I had a vague memory of there being a reason but could not be bothered checking back.

Something similar happened with Lee Rigby's funeral. The reporter outside the church was speaking when there was a one minute's silence inside the church but she was not aware of that. Did not stop some expressing outrage at the BBC.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No point complaining to the Beeb about credit squeezing as they would just put a "suit" on Points of View to say "We know better than you so shut up you miserable proles" or wtte

ITV would be just as bad in that respect
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    No point complaining to the Beeb about credit squeezing as they would just put a "suit" on Points of View to say "We know better than you so shut up you miserable proles" or wtte

ITV would be just as bad in that respect

Though they do usually know better. When you read the stuff posted on Digital Spy and imagine having to read much more like that all day then it must be a terrible job. Other channels take the easy way out and just ignore comments and complaints!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Though they do usually know better. When you read the stuff posted on Digital Spy and imagine having to read much more like that all day then it must be a terrible job. Other channels take the easy way out and just ignore comments and complaints!

No, they don't know better. Credit squeezing seems to be done because they can "oh look we bought this expensive software/hardware at great expense, and pay for a continuity announcer, so we'd better darned well use it all at every available opportunity and more, to justify the cost!"

Most of the time, end-credits, voice overs and credit squeezing is an unacceptable intrusion into the enjoyment of many viewers who, surprise surprise, like to watch and listen to a programme as the production team intended. All of it.

There is no problem with putting up a small caption in empty screen space while the credits roll - as I've seen on Sky from time to time - but that should be the limit. Otherwise, they (all of them) do NOT know best!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for clearing up what happened - I am relieved it was nowhere near as bad as the person I replied to made it sound.
  • Beagle2Beagle2 Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones on STV are particularly annoying. It's like they've been told to have a quip ready about the programme that's just been on, but it feels incredibly forced. Every time I hear it, all I can think is 'keep your opinions to yourself'.