Options

Top 5 best/worst 2013-14 PL signings

Comments

• Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    The argument of a small child with pocket money, not an adult in the real world. I didnt realise that you dont actually spend money when you buy something new to replace something you have sold. I look forward to people robbing you blind the next time you buy a house or trade in your car.

Indeed, its similar to spurs fans not seeing the absolute disaster the signings of AVB are.

Yes, it was a "free" 90 million, but for that you lost a fantastic game winning player and paid huge money (and wages) on players that just are never going to be good enough.

Over their contracts, they will cost the club another 100million
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torres was once an amazing player who scored a lot of goals. Chelsea gambled that when they signed him he'd become that amazing player once again but the gamble didn't pay off. Fellaini, on the other hand, was never an amazing player and god only knows why Moyes thought he'd be good enough for the champions. :confused:

Carroll was too expensive but he wasn't a stupid signing because it looked like he might be the next big thing and anyway we had just sold Torres for a lot more so in effect Carroll didn't cost us anything.

So nice try, but no cigar for you on this occasion.:p
    Good call about mentioning managers.

On that basis, worst signing is David Moyes. :o

EDIT: What's the point.

A damning indictment of what this board has been allowed to descend to.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Indeed, its similar to spurs fans not seeing the absolute disaster the signings of AVB are.

Yes, it was a "free" 90 million, but for that you lost a fantastic game winning player and paid huge money (and wages) on players that just are never going to be good enough.

Over their contracts, they will cost the club another 100million

not sure all of them were AVB signings and also not convinced all of them are duds

still a good team built there, heck they might equal last seasons positional finish so it hasnt been a horrendus waste of money
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Carroll was too expensive but he wasn't a stupid signing because it looked like he might be the next big thing and anyway we had just sold Torres for a lot more so in effect Carroll didn't cost us anything.

So nice try, but no cigar for you on this occasion.:p

So if Liverpool paid £49m on Andy Carroll, it wouldn't have been a bad signing because we sold Torres for £50m?

If Man United sold Anderson, and for £30m, then paid £27m for Fellaini, would that still be a stupid signing? Fellaini would, in effect, not cost Man United anything.

However I already know what your answer would be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    So if Liverpool paid £49m on Andy Carroll, it wouldn't have been a bad signing because we sold Torres for £50m?

If Man United sold Anderson, and for £30m, then paid £27m for Fellaini, would that still be a stupid signing? Fellaini would, in effect, not cost Man United anything.

However I already know what your answer would be.

No, I'll explain what happened so that everybody will understand.

We did a couple of deals that meant we effectively swopped one not very good striker for another not very good striker but we also made £15m profit at the same time.

Now I'll admit that it would've been even better if the incoming player had turned out a lot better, but there was reason at the time to think he might be a good signing. You win some you lose some but at the same time we signed Suarez so King Kenny did well for us on the whole.

So the Torres/Carroll deal = £15m profit for LFC.
    But the Fellaini deal = £27m flushed down the pan for MUFC.

You might not like hearing it but it's the truth. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best
    Gareth Barry for Everton - Underrated player who has been great for Everton this season.
    Curtis Davies for Hull City - Has become one of the best defenders in the league
    Loic Remy for Newcastle - Him, Krul Cabaye are the main reason they avoided a relegation scrap, excellent season.
    Dejan Lovren for Southampton - Thought he was a shocking signing at first but proved in fact to be a steal for them.
    Christian Eriksen for Tottenham - Made a slow start but now looks like Spurs' best player and they got him very cheap as well. The only saving grace from a diabolical summer transfer window.

Worst
    Jozy Altidore for Sunderland - Sunderland continue their run of signing terrible strikers for relatively big money. £8 M for two goals and now has 3 goals in 44 appearances in English football.
    Ricky Van Wolfswinkel for Norwich - Record signing who has had a complete nightmare in his first season. Not helped by negative tactics but looks really out of his depth.
    Erik Lamela for Tottenham - Really struggled to adapt to the English game and now can't even get a game.
    Marouane Fellaini for Man Utd - Cannot find a role in the United team and looks like he's lost all confidence.
    Andreas Cornelious for Cardiff - Same as the OP.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good call about mentioning managers.

On that basis, worst signing is David Moyes. :o

Boring Boring Kenny ^_^
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Best
    Gareth Barry for Everton - Underrated player who has been great for Everton this season.
    Curtis Davies for Hull City - Has become one of the best defenders in the league
    Loic Remy for Newcastle - Him, Krul Cabaye are the main reason they avoided a relegation scrap, excellent season.
    Dejan Lovren for Southampton - Thought he was a shocking signing at first but proved in fact to be a steal for them.
    Christian Eriksen for Tottenham - Made a slow start but now looks like Spurs' best player and they got him very cheap as well. The only saving grace from a diabolical summer transfer window.

Worst
    Jozy Altidore for Sunderland - Sunderland continue their run of signing terrible strikers for relatively big money. £8 M for two goals and now has 3 goals in 44 appearances in English football.
    Ricky Van Wolfswinkel for Norwich - Record signing who has had a complete nightmare in his first season. Not helped by negative tactics but looks really out of his depth.
    Erik Lamela for Tottenham - Really struggled to adapt to the English game and now can't even get a game.
    Marouane Fellaini for Man Utd - Cannot find a role in the United team and looks like he's lost all confidence.
    Andreas Cornelious for Cardiff - Same as the OP.

Thinking about it, Andreas Cornelius must be the biggest flop of all. Cardiff spent a lot of money and I must confess, I have been totally unaware of him. That must say something.
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Bony!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Love wrote: »
    Bony!!!

I think not!
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    No, I'll explain what happened so that everybody will understand.

We did a couple of deals that meant we effectively swopped one not very good striker for another not very good striker but we also made £15m profit at the same time.

Now I'll admit that it would've been even better if the incoming player had turned out a lot better, but there was reason at the time to think he might be a good signing. You win some you lose some but at the same time we signed Suarez so King Kenny did well for us on the whole.

So the Torres/Carroll deal = £15m profit for LFC.
    But the Fellaini deal = £27m flushed down the pan for MUFC.

You might not like hearing it but it's the truth. :cool:

No you didnt.

You received £50m for one striker and completely wasted £35m on his replacement. The sale of Torres was not dependant on buying Carroll you you didnt swap anything. You sold a player and then went to another club and gave them a large chunk of that money for another player. When you then realised it was a massive massive mistake you try to cover it up by claiming it doesnt matter cos you received the initial £50m in the first place. You had a free choice with what to buy with the £50m in your bank account and your club decided Andy Carroll for £35m was the way to go.

By your logic you could have given Kevin Keegan £50m to come out of retirement to play for you and claimed it was ok cos it didnt actually cost you anything as you had got the money for Torres, which is of course nonsense.

You might not like hearing it but its the truth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    No you didnt.

You received £50m for one striker and completely wasted £35m on his replacement. The sale of Torres was not dependant on buying Carroll you you didnt swap anything. You sold a player and then went to another club and gave them a large chunk of that money for another player. When you then realised it was a massive massive mistake you try to cover it up by claiming it doesnt matter cos you received the initial £50m in the first place. You had a free choice with what to buy with the £50m in your bank account and your club decided Andy Carroll for £35m was the way to go.

By your logic you could have given Kevin Keegan £50m to come out of retirement to play for you and claimed it was ok cos it didnt actually cost you anything as you had got the money for Torres, which is of course nonsense.

You might not like hearing it but its the truth.

It was effectively just one big deal though because it all happened suddenly and when Torres left there was minimal time left to replace him. There wasn't time to find someone cheaper/better in the time that was left and so we didn't really have a choice.

May I remind you that during the same transfer window we signed a certain Luis Suarez for £22m. :kitty:
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May I remind you that during the same transfer window we signed a certain Luis Suarez for £22m. :kitty:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the point being discussed.

It's been like a crèche in here today, and the United game hasn't even started....
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenny, just explain that the Carroll transfer was ironic and nobody will question you further.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with the point being discussed.

It's been like a crèche in here today, and the United game hasn't even started....

He's got a point though. You get some transfer decisions right - and some wrong.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    He's got a point though. You get some transfer decisions right - and some wrong.

No he hasn't got a point, it's a laugh him criticising United's transfer business, when we've signed the likes of Carroll, Downing, Aquilani et al..
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    LFC fan to MUFC fan :- Moyes is rubbish, Fellaini was a waste of money, we will finish above you this season
    MUFC fan back to LFC fan :- Carroll was a joke at 35m, KDs deals wasted money, we've won the league 20 times.

Such 'discussion' tends to deliberately wind the other side up and only causes ill feeling between the 2 sets of fans so tbh KK mate it is not worth going there.

I know I too fall out with the MUFC fans at times but usually it is not slap stick sort of stuff like this and my advice for what its worth is where possible to avoid it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trying to be objective Downing was great for AVFC and Fellaini was great for EFC and so those signings were understandable even if they did not work out that well - hindsight is a wonderful thing, we can all be experts after the event.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to be objective Downing was great for AVFC and Fellaini was great for EFC and so those signings were understandable even if they did not work out that well - hindsight is a wonderful thing, we can all be experts after the event.

Of course, but then KennyKeegan was the one trying to bait the Man United fans.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

In the case of Carroll people were wise before during and after the event, with vast swathes of Liverpool fans struggling to come to terms with the deal.

Its fine, its done, and Liverpool got rid and certainly havent suffered for it going on this seasons showing thats for sure so its best written off as a horribly expensive error.

However when you get people claiming that the price paid for Carroll "didnt really matter" on the basis that you received more money in for Torres at the time then it cant be left unchallenged because it is one of the most genuinely bafflingly stupid points of view anyone can take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However when you get people claiming that the price paid for Carroll "didnt really matter" on the basis that you received more money in for Torres at the time then it cant be left unchallenged because it is one of the most genuinely bafflingly stupid points of view anyone can take.

I seem to remember taking that line of defence at the time, when you took me to task on it:blush:.
  • Options
    General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember hearing some of the daftest things imaginable around that transfer.

The Torres money made the Carroll money disposable somehow...
    The true value of a player was 'whatever someone was willing to pay'...

Etc... Crazy period.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the case of Carroll people were wise before during and after the event, with vast swathes of Liverpool fans struggling to come to terms with the deal.

Its fine, its done, and Liverpool got rid and certainly havent suffered for it going on this seasons showing thats for sure so its best written off as a horribly expensive error.

It's like watching a gust of wind take away your tenner and then finding a quid afterwards on the pavement.

A kick in the chuns whichever way you want to spin it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're quite right of course - the AC deal was one of our worst ever cos not having CFCs level of wealth we could ill afford to waste 35m and at least most of the other buys which have proved bad maybe looked OK at the time. Re the AC one at that price I did not really fancy it on day 1 - altho in public on DS and elsewhere I always tried to support AC especially in the early days as it was not his fault that they paid that much and if fans go round knocking a player there is less chance of him coming good - so I tried to not do that.