First midweek on the new UK singles chart - sales + streams

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Source (OCC): http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/ariana-grande-and-iggy-azalea-lead-historic-race-to-number-1-3129/

Ariana Grande's problem is leading the new official UK singles chart, which is now based on sales and streams. Problem has 55,000 "chart sales" with 1% from streams. Ella's Ghost is at number 2 with 21,000 "chart sales" with 8% from streams. 100 streams equals 1 single/download sale.

So, basically (thanks to Thermo from Buzzjack):

Problem: 55k streams and 54,450 sales = 55,000 chart sales
Ghost: 168k streams and 19,320 sales = 21,000 chart sales

Top 10:

1 PROBLEM ARIANA GRANDE FT IGGY AZALEA
2 GHOST ELLA HENDERSON
3 CHANDELIER SIA
4 SING ED SHEERAN
5 BUDAPEST GEORGE EZRA
6 GECKO (OVERDRIVE) OLIVER HELDENS & BECKY HILL
7 MAKE U BOUNCE DJ FRESH VS TC
8 STAY WITH ME SAM SMITH
9 WAVES MR PROBZ
10 ALL OF ME JOHN LEGEND

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Glad Sia's at 3..she's so under rated! People are still loving Ghost then.
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big dip for gecko! And Ariana's outselling Ella 5:2! Pretty good going tbh
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that Example's new track has left the Top 10. On iTunes he's been #8 for a few days now so I'm assuming that his streaming stats are letting him down. I'm still not sure how I feel about the inclusion of streaming in the charts though.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    I would prefer a separate chart for sales and streaming. It's difficult enough getting sales for the top 100 as it is lol.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big dip for gecko! And Ariana's outselling Ella 5:2! Pretty good going tbh

To be fair Ella has been out for over 3 weeks now. I can't see Ariana selling what Ella will in the long run.

Her sales have been absolutely brilliant!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/ariana-grande-set-to-claim-first-uk-number-1-with-problem-3133/

1 Ariana (67,000/1.7% streams)
    2 Ella
    3 George Ezra
    4 Ed
    5 Gecko
    6 Sia
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there might be more of a Glastonbury effect on the charts. Clearly not. And streaming doesn't seem to have made a difference to the positions.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    I'm all for this to be honest. This year has been ridiculous with the amount of one week wonders. Thank goodness Ella Henderson put a stop to what was becoming a bit of a joke - and people ridicule the US Billboard chart!!! LOL

Songs like Summer, The Man, I Wanna Feel and Tsunami would've definitely not gone to #1 had streaming been implemented earlier in the year. In fact, John Legend would've benefitted as All Of Me would've kept The Man off #1 with streaming "sales" and I much prefer All Of Me so it's a shame the track lost out there. I also reckon Rather Be would've (quite deservedly) become a million seller by now. It's only a matter of time before that happens anyway. :D
    Forum Member
    Disappointed to see Sia already down to #6 in the midweeks. Chandelier is such an excellent song but nobody was going to outsell Ariana Grande this week, even though I initially thought Problem would've been looking at between 180-200k first week sales.

Good thing streaming sales have now been included otherwise I reckon Problem might've dropped down the chart quite quickly.
    Forum Member
    Shame that Example's new track has left the Top 10. On iTunes he's been #8 for a few days now so I'm assuming that his streaming stats are letting him down. I'm still not sure how I feel about the inclusion of streaming in the charts though.

Streaming is an oddity in that it tends to be a week behind the official sales chart (just download sales). With streaming, songs tend to enter quite low in the streaming chart then suddenly rocket up the chart in its second week. So Example will more than likely shoot up the streaming chart next week.

The only UK #1 that was already top 10 in the streaming chart before its official release was Hideaway by Keisza. The way it's going, Nico & Vinz could be the second as I have a gut feeling Am I Wrong? is going to become a massively popular hit in streaming - it's already top 30 weeks before its official download release. Nico & Vinz will probably become the first song to chart on just streaming sales, then get a massive boost once the song is available to download on iTunes.

Why they can't just release Nico & Vinz this coming Sunday, I don't know!!! :confused:
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    DJ Fresh has previously been a streaming hold-out, presumably because he's on Ministry of Sound and they've always been sniffy about Spotify and the like, so interesting that his stuff is available to stream now. I guess the chart changes have concentrated minds somewhat. Wonder if some of their other artists will follow suit; London Grammar, for example.
    Forum Member
    afcbfan wrote: »
    DJ Fresh has previously been a streaming hold-out, presumably because he's on Ministry of Sound and they've always been sniffy about Spotify and the like, so interesting that his stuff is available to stream now. I guess the chart changes have concentrated minds somewhat. Wonder if some of their other artists will follow suit; London Grammar, for example.

Yeah, I get the impression DJ Fresh has requested his music to be made available on all streaming sites like Spotify. He's got a single out this week (which I think is crap and a massive step down in quality - this is the same DJ who did Louder and Hot Right Now!!! LOL). My point being, without the benefits of streaming sales, his new single would've performed worse in the charts than it's likely to now. DJ Fresh still has the issue of Make U Bounce not fully benefitting from streaming for another week, it'll probably enter this weeks streaming chart outside the top 50. By which point the track is likely to have dropped a fair bit on iTunes when the track climbs up the streaming chart.

It's definitely going to take a few months - maybe even until 2015 before streaming and digital sales charts are more in sync with each other.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay stays in the top ten. :)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I doff me cap to Ella Henderson. Four weeks in the top two is no mean feat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Disappointed to see Sia already down to #6 in the midweeks. Chandelier is such an excellent song but nobody was going to outsell Ariana Grande this week, even though I initially thought Problem would've been looking at between 180-200k first week sales.

That would have been possible (but to be honest, she might have done 150k at best), had the label decided to release the song a few weeks after the US/Worldwide release. NOT BLOODY TWO MONTHS!!!! Ariana just released her second single in the US already!!!! I would be just happy if she finishes anywhere between 90k-100k chart sales by Sunday.
    Forum Member
    paltonz wrote: »
    That would have been possible (but to be honest, she might have done 150k at best), had the label decided to release the song a few weeks after the US/Worldwide release. NOT BLOODY TWO MONTHS!!!! Ariana just released her second single in the US already!!!! I would be just happy if she finishes anywhere between 90k-100k chart sales by Sunday.

This is something I've never understood. Well, I do understand it from a record company point of view, I just don't agree with it.

All record companies want is to get their artist #1 and if that means holding back the single 2 months until a quiet week to capitalise on lack of competition and 8 weeks of pre-orders that's what they will do.

The result? Big first week sales as everyone who really wants the song will buy it. From week 2 onwards it's a case of anyone who is willing to make a purchase, hence why so many #1 singles this year plummeted down the chart in its second week.

Like I mentioned above, Nico & Vinz are bound to be #1 if the record company insist on holding back its release. I'd rather see the song get released on Sunday, then let the song climb up the charts as it grows in popularity.

Of course, it'd probably prevent Cheryl Cole from getting to #1 and the UK record companies wouldn't want that now, would they? LOL :p

I predict now that Cheryl Cole will storm to #1 and drop out of the UK top 40 after about 6 weeks, and that's with streaming added. It will be such a non #1 when it happens. :D
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Ariana hold that spot for two weeks or will-.i.am and Usher 2.0 steal the spot next week? (Ariana will get it this Sunday)

I hope this method of charting prevents Cheryl from going to no1 but that's highly unlikely
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Can't believe Britain has such flawed taste. I do think mid/late 2013 and 2014 overall has been dire for mainstream music aside from Ella's Ghost and Sia's Chandelier. Sia really should be higher. One of the best songs I've ever heard really. Too many generic club songs dominating this year.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    paltonz wrote: »

I've never understood artists holding back releases if they aren't going to be doing promo when the single actually comes out here, as seems the case with Ariana. Two months is ridiculous though. If she was going to be here for release week I would understand it.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood artists holding back releases if they aren't going to be doing promo when the single actually comes out here, as seems the case with Ariana. Two months is ridiculous though. If she was going to be here for release week I would understand it.

Now I can see why she's being compared to Mariah Carey, because she's too lazy to promote here:p :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe Britain has such flawed taste. I do think mid/late 2013 and 2014 overall has been dire for mainstream music aside from Ella's Ghost and Sia's Chandelier. Sia really should be higher. One of the best songs I've ever heard really. Too many generic club songs dominating this year.

Oh please...
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Will Ariana hold that spot for two weeks or will-.i.am and Usher 2.0 steal the spot next week? (Ariana will get it this Sunday)

I hope this method of charting prevents Cheryl from going to no1 but that's highly unlikely

I think Ariana could well get a second week at #1. Next week Problem will get a significant increase in its Spotify streaming and will probably be the streaming chart #1 next week too. So those stream "sales" next week could be the difference that determines what the UK #1 is.

As for Well.Im.Crap, his single will do well next week thanks to its pre-orders (although why would anyone want to buy such a shite song in the first place!!! :p ) but it's the type of song that will plummet in its second week. This is when the track will get its post release boost on Spotify so it'll help the track from having a big tumble down the chart but it's not exactly a modern day classic and I still reckon It's My Birthday will have a massive drop in its third week.

The only thing streaming will do right now is prevent songs from having big second week drops. It won't affect anything else from week 3 onwards so these songs will probably still have 5/6 weeks max in the top 40 and be forgotten about come October.