Options

84 school children dead as Taliban attack Pakistan school

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. There are also many Muslim MP's in Britain but you don't hear a peep out of them over this issue.

The MCB has condemned the killings on their website not sure if they have on the news

http://www.mcb.org.uk/massacre-children-ummah-shock-muslim-council-britain-condemns-peshawar-killings/

They have also previously condemned ISIS / ISIL

http://www.mcb.org.uk/not-in-our-name-british-muslims-condemn-the-barbarity-of-isis/
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Do muslim posters on this thread based in the UK believe that India and its secret intel agency RAW was behind this atrocity.

Please do let me know as i do not for a moment believe that UK muslims who are thankfully not exposed to propaganda from Pakistan would seriously believe this

They believe all other kinds of conspiracy theories so why not this one? e.g. 45% of muslims in the UK believed 9/11 was carried out by the American secret service.

This is also interesting: Inside Jobs and Israeli Stooges: Why Is the Muslim World in Thrall to Conspiracy Theories?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/conspiracy-theories-islam_b_5770576.html
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There does seem to be a sort of alternative history going on in which the arabs, principally muslims, are seen as a poor, put-upon group of people who have wanted nothing more than to be left in peace. It conveniently leaves out the creation and vast expansion of the Islamic empire, by conquest, across North Africa, Anatolia, Eastern Europe and the Iberian Peninsula. Such realities really need to be admitted to and acknowledged.

What's so sad is that people from countries who desperately fought against conquest and who have not managed to ever get their countries back have been so brainwashed that they believe the Arabs did them a favour.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely despicable act.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    How can some people be so evil, to kill innocent people especially kids? They are not human and so twsited and backward :(

Maybe the same way the Americans justify torturing innocent people at Guantanamo, or killing people in drone strikes; "the ends justify the means". I only wish that we in the West still possessed the moral high ground to condemn this kind of attack but with the torture report coming out last week it's hard to speak with any moral authority about anyone else attacking innocent people.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Why for obvious reasons?

In a hostage situation like this they have more of a chance of being let go.

And what threat do they have from non Muslims?

And as for the story about the woman on the train, not believing it for an instant.

I can totally believe that about the woman travelling on the train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    Maybe the same way the Americans justify torturing innocent people at Guantanamo, or killing people in drone strikes; "the ends justify the means". I only wish that we in the West still possessed the moral high ground to condemn this kind of attack but with the torture report coming out last week it's hard to speak with any moral authority about anyone else attacking innocent people.

You're comparing the murder of children as young as two to waterboarding and stress positions on adults?

I think it's you who has a moral compass out of whack.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A little harder perhaps, but not impossible - because we know when things are wrong, indeed there are official investigations into it, and strive to hold those in authority to account.
    Then you have issues such as gender discrimination, denial of education, determination to wipe out people who are gay, religious hatred - all ethical and social issues unconnected to military action.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    indeed , which was also shocking . And it's happened at other times throughout history , but I'm not quite sure what your point in comparing them was .

that they aren`t the only religious people to apparently think this about their god, i was agreeing with you?
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The irony being that the medieval times were seen as a golden age for the Islamic world where great advances were made in the arts, education, science and other areas.

The great advances were made by non-muslims
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can totally believe that about the woman travelling on the train.

And the newspapers wouldn't have been all over it?

One of the most sickening things about 7/7 was watching Tony Blair making speeches about reprisals, about how we mustn't retaliate, before the true victims had even been buried.

Can you not see how this was a slur on everybody?
    That the impression that was formed was that all of us where only slightly removed from the bombers?

We are a decent people, that should be taken for granted, not seen as a way to make a minority of people feel morally superior to everybody else so they can dictate to them.

And that's what this "I'll ride with you" is all about.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're comparing the murder of children as young as two to waterboarding and stress positions on adults?

I think it's you who has a moral compass out of whack.
    Both are wrong, what is so hard to understand about that? Hundreds of thousands of people were killed as the result of deliberately misrepresented information. Does that make the Taliban more moral than the US government as a result?

In short, its not a pissing contest, just because one side are immoral, doesn't make the other side moral as if we did we would say someone who killed one person is more moral than someone who killed two.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    A strange turn of phrase when Arabs were the aggressors.:confused:

Really?! Were they always the aggressors?!. Arabs lived in the context of their time where invasions were norm, they occupied for a lot time large parts of the Iberian peninsula, but we did set out to destroy them with an ideology during the crusades. That's what i was referring to. I find it fascinating how even though working in a totally different set of morals than we have today, they sometimes did manage to be more civilised than a lot of this people we are dealing with now days.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

Yes I'm comparing the murder of innocent civilians with the torture of innocent civilians. They are about equal on the scale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And all the other schools that have been attacked?
    Somebody quoted a thousand on here earlier in the thread, were they all "soft military" targets?
    Different Taliban - Pakistan Taliban generally attack military or political targets (which includes anyone who speaks against them), Afghan Taliban attack anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm comparing the murder of innocent civilians with the torture of innocent civilians. They are about equal on the scale.

No, setting live teachers on fire in front of little children and then shooting the kids does not rank with Guantanamo.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why does it have to be a race to the bottom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    No, setting live teachers on fire in front of little children and then shooting the kids does not rank with Guantanamo.
    Ah, lesser evils. The Abu Ghraib defence.

So presumably you condemn the West for the hundreds of thousands who died in Iraq as a result of the inept conquest. And this ranks as worse than murdering children.
  • Options
    Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

So presumably you condemn the West for the hundreds of thousands who died in Iraq as a result of the inept conquest. And this ranks as worse than murdering children.

So your viewpoint is that it was ok for the Taliban to do what they did today when seen with a wide angle viewing lens?

Really?
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MargMck wrote: »
    A little harder perhaps, but not impossible - because we know when things are wrong, indeed there are official investigations into it, and strive to hold those in authority to account.
    Then you have issues such as gender discrimination, denial of education, determination to wipe out people who are gay, religious hatred - all ethical and social issues unconnected to military action.

One thing I like about the Americans is their openness and willingness to engage with the truth. The CIA is being called to account.
    Islam could use some engagement with reality instead of denying and justifying everything that's done in their name.
    Maybe this atrocity will bring them to their senses.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member

So presumably you condemn the West for the hundreds of thousands who died in Iraq as a result of the inept conquest. .

Don't we all condemn the West for it? The huge majority of people did not want this war.
    No one can accuse us of not being self critical and vocal. Most of us are absolutely disgusted by what is done in our name.

Does not make it less vile what happened in the school, and people are right to feel horrified that people capable of something like this even exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    So your viewpoint is that it was ok for the Taliban to do what they did today when seen with a wide angle viewing lens?

Really?

Mitu rightly makes the point.
    I shall just accept that you think the slaughter of Muslim schoolchildren and teachers by Taliban nutters is the West's fault, and just a bit of tit for tat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why for obvious reasons?

In a hostage situation like this they have more of a chance of being let go.
    :confused: A hostage situation like the school in Peshawar? Aren't they all Muslims?
    And what threat do they have from non Muslims?
    There has been a marked increase in islamophobic hate crimes, from shouted abuse to physical attacks to arson.
    And as for the story about the woman on the train, not believing it for an instant.
    It is always a very bizarre experience to recount something that you know personally on DS and be accused of lying. I am not lying. I am describing something that happened to a friend of mine, of which she still feels the repercussions today.
    And the newspapers wouldn't have been all over it?
    Oddly enough, there were no newspapers present at the time. Are you tailed by newspaper journalists as you go about your daily life?
    One of the most sickening things about 7/7 was watching Tony Blair making speeches about reprisals, about how we mustn't retaliate, before the true victims had even been buried.

It seems reasonable to appeal for no reprisals before they have actually taken place. A colleague of mine (pause for you to say I am lying) was badly beaten up after the Birmingham pub bombings for having an Irish accent. I think he might have welcomed a statement that this was unacceptable.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems reasonable to appeal for no reprisals before they have actually taken place. A colleague of mine (pause for you to say I am lying) was badly beaten up after the Birmingham pub bombings for having an Irish accent. I think he might have welcomed a statement that this was unacceptable.

As was a friend of mine, a woman in this case. Someone who had fled the troubles because of the violence she experienced in NI.

However I still think I was rather repulsed by the sight of Blair making a case for 'no reprisals' given his status as war-munger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    Really?! Were they always the aggressors?!. Arabs lived in the context of their time where invasions were norm, they occupied for a lot time large parts of the Iberian peninsula, but we did set out to destroy them with an ideology during the crusades. That's what i was referring to. I find it fascinating how even though working in a totally different set of morals than we have today, they sometimes did manage to be more civilised than a lot of this people we are dealing with now days.
    They were the aggressed when it came to the Mongols. And later Persians, Turks and British.