Birmingham is a no go area to non-Muslims (apparently)

Comments

• alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only originally clicked this thread to see if there were any more Fox News gaffes or to find more good links to the #foxnewsfacts funnies. And to see if anyone else was alarmed or had more info on the fact that nutcase on Fox News has actually advised the US govt about muslim issues. Unreal!

But it looks like the man and/or his warped view of reality seem to be here instead, so i best say no more.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    You cannot possibly state that. You are making assumptions as much as anyone else.
    You've obviously never been to the apartheid towns of the north. Please don't tell me they colonise whole areas of these places so they can network! I'll need a change of underwear.

Why are there virtually 100% Muslim schools, and 100% white British schools in close proximity in some places?
    "The apartheid towns"? Really? Ugh.

Ethnic communities have existed as long as there has been migration and urbanisation - and I mean Little Italy and British expats in Spain and a million other same-race examples as much as your race-based assumptions. The reasons can include existing family or community ties, poverty, class, housing availability, employment opportunities, being faced with discrimination in other areas, being allocated to certain areas by authorities, wanting to be near community services (eg kosher shops or Catholic churches or whatever). "Wanting to live near people like you" is in the mix, but pretty far down.

There's probably a more pronounced division between "rich" and "poor" areas than between different ethnic areas, and quite a lot of the same reasons can apply.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »

There's probably a more pronounced division between "rich" and "poor" areas than between different ethnic areas, and quite a lot of the same reasons can apply.

I think you said it all in there. I think I can stop reading this thread now.
    I can only speak about London a city i know like the palm of my hand, and to be honest i cannot see this marked ethnic division people keep talking about, the only shockingly glaring division is still between classes. Or like you said between the "poor" and the "rich".
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a cannard on your part. Most everyone who discusses it knows there is more than one school of Islamic law.. Even if every Muslim majority country in the world implemented Sharia to the same extent as Saudi (the closest to a "pure" Sharia state in existance), no one is suggesting they would all implement it exactly the same way every time, or that there would be perfect uniformity across the board. One would expect differences of implementation even within a single madhhab.

To then imply that because Sharia is subject to the same vagaries of implementation and interpretation as all other systems of law - as though the draconian, discriminatory principles of Sharia shared by all schools of fiqh were "neutralised" by the very process of application, or the differences therein - is simply disingenuous.

Perhaps most of the people on this thread are not quite as "ignorant" as you claim, eh ?
    Yeah, well, when people say things like "Do they have to know every single Sharia Law to support it?" and "I think you will find I was talking about full sharia law being applied", it makes me a little sceptical of their knowledge of the subject or that "no-one is suggesting" it's uniform.
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Yeah, well, when people say things like "Do they have to know every single Sharia Law to support it?" and "I think you will find I was talking about full sharia law being applied", it makes me a little sceptical of their knowledge of the subject or that "no-one is suggesting" it's uniform.

Neither of those questions speak to the poster/s ignorance of Sharia law anymore than it would speak to their ignorance of the law if you substituted "Sharia" for "English".

However, I can see you have gone from accusing most of the posters on the thread of ignorance to merely being "a little bit sceptical of their knowledge".

I'll leave you and your backtracking in peace. :)
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »

It appears the English language is a no-go area for journalists in Birmingham judging by that headline.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    That first link says that the area is 90% white.

Try reading the article :confused: but if thats all you get from it then you must have comprehension difficulties

The actual figures from the 2011 census has non Whites at 30% for that particular ward
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I've lived in Brum, and I can't think of any areas that are no-go for either non-Muslims OR non-whites (except when the EDL were doing there marches).

Alum Rock.
    Forum Member
    The only thing i read in that article is that some white working class people believe that some areas are no go, i presume white middle class on the other hand go where they please. An article about paranoia basically.
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens in Luton happens in other places
    http://youtu.be/GyzGayfI400
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    The only thing i read in that article is that some white working class people believe that some areas are no go, i presume white middle class on the other hand go where they please. An article about paranoia basically.

2011 census Birmingham has a population of 1,073,045 of which 468,448 do not class themselves as having an English identity there is nothing paranoid about it
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    What happens in Luton happens in other places
    http://youtu.be/GyzGayfI400

On behalf of all moderate lutonians I would like to apologise for the twisted ideology of this man. he does not represent the views of the vast majority of people in this town who just get on with life day to day.

have you ever been to Luton Warlord or do you just assume that whatever this guy shats out is the sweetest thing you have ever smelt ? would it matter one jot to you if I provided you my views of the town having lived here for over twenty years ? I suspect not, yes Luton has issues and yes we do have beardie wierdies but they no more reflect the average Mulsim than convicted thug, lier and rabble rouser Yaxley-Lennon represents the views of Lutonians. Walk around with one eye closed and you really do only see half the picture.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    2011 census Birmingham has a population of 1,073,045 of which 468,448 do not class themselves as having an English identity there is nothing paranoid about it

So living in England doesn't make you 'English'. I never really believed it did, to be honest.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Birmingham is all Muslim

No-one in Birmingham is misled.
    <slightly edited quote for fun reasons>

Of course there are no Misleds in Birmingham - they're all Muslims.

Bloody Misleds, coming over here taking our jobs and women blah............blah.............blah!
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y Me wrote: »
    <slightly edited quote for fun reasons>

Of course there are no Misleds in Birmingham - they're all Muslims.

Bloody Misleds, coming over here taking our jobs and women blah............blah.............blah!

:D:D:D
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you will find the figures were for white British (see link below)

It does not take into account any other race who may also consider themselves British. They therefore do not mean very much!

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=SystemAdmin%2FCFPageLayout&cid=1223096353923&packedargs=website%3D4&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FCFWrapper&rendermode=live
    Forum Member
    I think you will find the figures were for white British (see link below)

It does not take into account any other race who may also consider themselves British. They therefore do not mean very much!

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=SystemAdmin%2FCFPageLayout&cid=1223096353923&packedargs=website%3D4&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FCFWrapper&rendermode=live

No that graph shows Whites as being only 570,217 of the one million total population , download KS202 its complicated but it shows the figures
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that graph shows Whites as being only 570,217 of the one million total population , download KS202 its complicated but it shows the figures

But surely this thread is about the amount of Muslims in Birmingham. Or are you trying to hijack this thread for your own racist means?
    Forum Member

And in what way does that number relate to no go zones.?,The article was about some withe working class people believing that there are no go zones because they are afraid of foreigners. I would recommend not going abroad, that's my advise to those ignorants.
    The number of foreigners is no proof of no go zones. Im from London, and can safely tell you there are no go zones. Gives a no go zone and the middle class will eventually descend and expel everyone that does no earn a fat wage. The hipsters make it their full time job to find no go zones.
    Forum Member
    But surely this thread is about the amount of Muslims in Birmingham. Or are you trying to hijack this thread for your own racist means?

How is showing that almost 50% of the cities population doesn't class itself as English hijacking the thread :confused:
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would happen to me if I walked into Alum Rock in this sort of outfit? Would men come up to me and berate me or not give me a second glance?

http://www.travelvip.tv/new-look-of-the-day-hotpants-boots-and-black-long-sleeve-shirt/
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    And in what way does that number relate to no go zones.?,The article was about some withe working class people believing that there are no go zones because they are afraid of foreigners. I would recommend not going abroad, that's my advise to those ignorants.
    The number of foreigners is no proof of no go zones. Im from London, and can safely tell you there are no go zones. Gives a no go zone and the middle class will eventually descend and expel everyone that does no earn a fat wage. The hipsters make it their full time job to find no go zones.

I take it you didn't read the second link where the Police told Christian Evangelists that the area wasn't safe for them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is showing that almost 50% of the cities population doesn't class itself as English hijacking the thread :confused:

Once again that is not what that graph shows,

53.1% White British
    4.8% White other

That is nearly 58% to start with

There is NO mention of people of other races who were also class themselves as British