seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
---connecting directly to a site.

For example,

I can write screwfix.com

or like this, www.screwfix.com

or like this

clicking on the above would take someone directly to the site in question.

Is there a way, except by misspelling, I can type a website address within a thread or post without it becoming a live link?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only by not making it look like a URL to the forum software.

So maybe put spaces either side of the . for example

screwfix . com

or

www . screwfix . com

Most people would see that and realise that the true URL does not include the spaces (or one would hope they would :) )
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Ho ho, I know what this is all about, seacam, and I've had a problem with the poster in question too, so you're not alone. I chose to ignore him though because he's an annoying prat who won't be getting any satisfaction out of me anytime soon. When it happened to me I almost decided not to post on DS again but after a few days R&R I was drawn back like the proverbial moth to the flame.

I knew precisely what you meant about paypal, unfortunately malcolm is new to all this internet lark and computing in general and didn't, whereupon the poster in question seized the opportunity to bait you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much even though I know it hurts. It's not worth the effort of misspelling just to satisfy an idiot who isn't even half the man you are and with nothing like your breadth of knowledge. So you occasionally spell things wrong or put a hyphen in where you shouldn't. Big deal. It's the content that matters not the spelling.

Meanwhile back at the question I would just leave out the http and www prefixes like you did in the OP, or do nothing and carry on doing what you do, which you do well.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like this you mean?
    [noparse]www.bbc.co.uk[/noparse]
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Only by not making it look like a URL to the forum software.

So maybe put spaces either side of the . for example

screwfix . com

or

www . screwfix . com

Most people would see that and realise that the true URL does not include the spaces (or one would hope they would :) )
    Thanks chris. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Like this you mean?
    Yes, how did you achieve this ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Ho ho, I know what this is all about, seacam, and I've had a problem with the poster in question too, so you're not alone. I chose to ignore him though because he's an annoying prat who won't be getting any satisfaction out of me anytime soon. When it happened to me I almost decided not to post on DS again but after a few days R&R I was drawn back like the proverbial moth to the flame.

I knew precisely what you meant about paypal, unfortunately malcolm is new to all this internet lark and computing in general and didn't, whereupon the poster in question seized the opportunity to bait you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much even though I know it hurts. It's not worth the effort of misspelling just to satisfy an idiot who isn't even half the man you are and with nothing like your breadth of knowledge. So you occasionally spell things wrong or put a hyphen in where you shouldn't. Big deal. It's the content that matters not the spelling.

Meanwhile back at the question I would just leave out the http and www prefixes like you did in the OP, or do nothing and carry on doing what you do, which you do well.
    Hi evil and thanks. :)

FM doesn't hurt me but has me curious in some aspects.

I have put their need to do what they do down to deep insecurity issues in themselves.

But what I don't get in their need to put others on their arses, in an attempt at brinkmanship and to arrive at some satisfaction they fall flat on their faces,-- by taking the upper ground, they are so easy to coax down, so easily led.

Blinkered I guess, their own worst enemy and to boot, downed by their own poison.

Funny old world. :)
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Click on 'Go Advanced' under the quick reply box and uncheck 'Automatically parse links in text' in the miscellaneous options on the advanced post page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Click on 'Go Advanced' under the quick reply box and uncheck 'Automatically parse links in text' in the miscellaneous options on the advanced post page.
    Like, www.screwfix.com

Nope that didn't work for me, i'll try that again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't work for me, instructions were easy enough but doesn't work for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Yes, how did you achieve this ?
    Just click on quote in my first post and you can see the tags that stop it showing as a link.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    www.screwfix.com

[noparse]www.screwfix.com[/noparse]
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me, instructions were easy enough but doesn't work for me.

Worked fine for me,

www.google.com
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.screwfix.com

Interesting this one.

When I refresh the page the second link momentarily turns to black text then turns to blue and becomes a clickable link. Despite the noparse tags being there when I quote the post.

Yet if I look at the page source there is a <a href=....> tag round the first screwfix.com but nothing round the second so not entirely sure what is going on there.

Unless it is something in Firefox on Mac OS-X that I am using at the moment doing it.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Interesting this one.

When I refresh the page the second link momentarily turns to black text then turns to blue and becomes a clickable link. Despite the noparse tags being there when I quote the post.

Yet if I look at the page source there is a <a href=....> tag round the first screwfix.com but nothing round the second so not entirely sure what is going on there.

Unless it is something in Firefox on Mac OS-X that I am using at the moment doing it.

It's not something on your system, it's a plugin that DS have installed in the forum.

It basically hijacks links and redirects them through an affiliate system in order to cream off a few extra pennies.

Modifying someone else's content is a pretty scummy tactic IMO and i wish i could figure out a way of stripping out the modified link and returning it to what the author intended.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Yon can embed something in the text to stop it looking like a domain name:

screwfix.com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    It's not something on your system, it's a plugin that DS have installed in the forum.
    Thanks, I wonder how many site urls it affects.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I wonder how many site urls it affects.

Can't give an exact number but around 50% of the links i click on these forums are affected. I only notice because i block those affiliate sites at the DNS-level so every time i click on one i can't see what the author of the post was pointing to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »

It basically hijacks links and redirects them through an affiliate system in order to cream off a few extra pennies.

Modifying someone else's content is a pretty scummy tactic IMO and i wish i could figure out a way of stripping out the modified link and returning it to what the author intended.
    Ah! that makes sense, cos' no mater what I did, unchecking the parse box, link still went live for me.

As evil and ianx states, if you have to, just alter the url a little.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like this you mean?
    www.screwfix.com

The noparse wrappers work for me in IE & Firefox, but only when using Tracking Protection/Adblockers.

If I turn off Tracking Protection in IE then the second link in evil c's post becomes clickable. Same with Firefox. If I switch off Adblock Plus, it becomes clickable. The bbc link in tealady's post stays unclickable though. I suppose it's because the bbc site isn't selling anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like this you mean?
    Like this [noparse]www,screwfix.com[/noparse]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    damn and blast!
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190