Options

Get rid of props and faffing about!!!

AustenfanAustenfan Posts: 137
Forum Member
Please can we get rid of the props and the faffing about it's really annoying, I just wanna see them dancing after all it Strictly Come Dancing, not Strictly lets mess about mid way trough a routine!!!

Comments

• Options
    MCSMCS Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    I agree it's really annoying me as well. Running up the stairs as well why spoil a good dance messing around. Stay on the floor and dance.
  • Options
    Lizzie60Lizzie60 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    I agree. I find them dreadfully irritating this year and also, lets see some dancing in the minute and a half, not all this time wasting
  • Options
    mooselovermooselover Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    I was actually going to post the same thread with even the same title.
    I used to be a huge fan, watching the programmes 'live'. Then a couple of series ago my interest started to vanish and now if I watch at all, its on fast forward.
    Why all of a sudden are they all into props and faffing around? It seems like maybe half of the time is with props, maybe thats why as most of the 'celebrities' are hopeless dancers.
    Lets get rid of the props and get back to a full 90 seconds(or however long it is) of dance routine.
    As next week is Halloween, I guess we are going to have to put up with more!!
  • Options
    Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree, they should have a back to basics week with plain costumes and dances that must begin and end in hold
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bugs me too. It means they have to dance less and that's the whole point of the show!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugs me too. It means they have to dance less and that's the whole point of the show!

Its only the rubbish ones who need to faff about and use props. Chelsee last night took up hold straight away and danced full on for the whole 90 seconds.

Faffing is always a dead giveaway that someone isn't as good as their competition. Holly last night wasted over half the time with the pole dancing nonsense and barely did any VW at all which tells me that she wasn't very good at it so Artem had to find a way to waste time. Clearly Aliona felt that Harry wasn't up to a full 90 seconds of waltz as well.
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really thought things had improved for a time last night. For about the first hour there didn't seem to be any props and all the silly ovations had been stopped as well.

Then we got those ridiculous lamp posts. And the ovations started again. And that bloody bed.:rolleyes:

My props list for this series so far looks like this;

Tables/chairs
    Mirror
    Seats
    Chaise lounge.
    Fanny
    Umberella
    Cuddly toy ;)
    Fake lamps
    A bed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I so agree that the props should be done away with. Are they allowed so much this year because so many of the dancers are older, and may not have the stamina for the full dance?? I miss the lovely dresses we used to have too. Now there's too much flesh on show, and on the rare occasions that I look in at Dancing With the Stars, I get an idea where all this nonsense came from :-(.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I agree the show with the extra lights and props looks pretty in a superficial way, like to a lobotomised care in the community patient watching the telly in the window of Currys, but with the scattering of dancing as well it's becoming harder to judge them myself. Why not have alternating "prop" and "pure" weeks, which will have the effect of putting the hammer down on the ropey dancers and building some extra tension in them. The producers can then see if ratings drop in the "pure" weeks.
  • Options
    perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    For all that people love to bash DWTS, they had a great idea last week, which was a Movie themed week. They were all allowed an extra bit of time at the beginning, not to be judged as part of the dancing, but to set the scene. Some of these were short and to the point, others longer. The vast majority then went on to dance a full routine.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that - use props to set the scene, then dance the dance, as I can't see the show going back to no props.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, I want to see some dancing good or bad, not 2 twirls and the rest of the time prancing about.
  • Options
    jellyredjellyred Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I agree. I find myself groaning when I see props and usually start shouting at the tv to just get on with it!
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My heart sinks when I see those bloody lamp posts :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the Artem obstacle course, but only because I thought they were going to get wrapped around one of them... :)
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a way I can happily do without. If it's used only for a short period of time (like the umbrella with Robbie) then I don't mind so. But when it was for quite a time (like with Holly and the lamppost) then I could do without frankly because then I feel the prop air-time eats into time when the couple could be dancing more steps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that "normal" non theme weeks should be prop free. On halloween week or broadway week things can be a little different but I see no need for props normally.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pleased to see that I am in agreement with everyone on here. I thought last night how ridiculous things were getting. I am sure in professional ballroom dancing competitions the couples are not out of hold for any length of time.

The programme is called Strictly Come Dancing not Strictly Come Prancing.

Please let it stop and get back to proper dancing.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever I see a prop or 'faffing abhart' I immediately think "someone couldn't cope with the dance steps this week"
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all that people love to bash DWTS, they had a great idea last week, which was a Movie themed week. They were all allowed an extra bit of time at the beginning, not to be judged as part of the dancing, but to set the scene. Some of these were short and to the point, others longer. The vast majority then went on to dance a full routine.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that - use props to set the scene, then dance the dance, as I can't see the show going back to no props.

This seems like the best route for fixed props.

It does seem that too much unnecessary filling is going on. Harry I am sure could have done more Waltz, where I can appreciate Alex needed all the filler possible to cover up her shortcomings.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    SCD is starting to go down the DWTS route with all these props and faffing around
  • Options
    Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    I think the props are fine as long as they are part of a storyline and used at the very beginning/end of a dance, and not as something to spend time on mid-routine.
    The bed last night in Flav and Russells Tango was only used before the dance had started, and once it had ended really and was in keeping with the 'Sweet Dreams' story of the dance....there was actually no faffing during the actual dance itself and wasn't used as a means to waste time. I get more annoyed at those who are actually doing nothing for 30 seconds mid dance.
  • Options
    sandixsandix Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Throughly agree, whilst there is some scope for 'telling a story' in some of the latin dances, ballroom should at the very least be 80% in hold with no props!. As Len said last night the first half of Harry's dnace was great but was ruined by the faffing about on the stairs in the second part of it :mad:. At times it seems to me that the props and faffing about are there to focus attention away from the lack of dance content and poor technique. To quote an overused phrase - get back to basics.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The use of props in nearly every dance irritates me too.

Maybe they could compromise and adopt the DOI idea of having a props week where each couple has to choreograph their whole routine around a given prop (not one of their choice)? The rest of the time props are made illegal.

While they're doing that, perhaps they could also ban leaving the dance floor during a routine? Let them run down the stairs to start a routine if they really must, but once there they must stay on the dance floor the routine is finished.

If they leave the dance floor - and I would include not only running back up the stairs, but jumping onto the judges plinth and/or desk, and sitting on lap of any member of the audience - then their routine should be deemed finished.

The exception should be the showdance where all rules go out the window and they can do whatever they like!
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updated list of pointless props:

Tables/chairs
    Mirror
    Seats
    Chaise lounge.
    Fanny
    Umberella
    Cuddly toy ;)