The Jonathan Ross Show (Series 5)

square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
Forum Member
The Jonathan Ross Show returns next Saturday on ITV. Its not been a huge success and its suffered in recent series from poor quality guests. But looks like its here to stay with 3 more series signed up. With Alan Carr & Graham Norton running as well, its interesting to see who gets which guests.

Anyway, week 1 line-up is:

Week 1 (12 Oct): Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, Cilla Black & James Arthur.

Future guests are said to include: One Direction, Sir David Attenborough, Will Ferrell, Julie Walters and Frank Lampard. With music performances from Dizzee Rascall, The Pet Shop Boys, Gary Barlow, Kings of Leon and Ellie Goulding.

And according to this Ross is hoping to get the first interview with David Bowie in a decade:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jonathan-ross-hopes-david-bowie-2339682

Comments

• Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As usaul boring line up.

One Direction,Will Ferrell and maybe Frank Lampard are the only exciting guests. Although i would not tune in if the musical acts are any of them lot.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Norton gets the A-list and does it very well. Carr gets the more eccentric guests and likewise does it well. Aside from the odd exceptions (Hanks and Bullock), Ross gets the scraps and ITV fodder.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Too many Itv names like James Arthur, Cilla, in the lineup. No wonder Graham Norton always wins the ratings who manages to get A listers almost every week, whereas Ross gets an A lister once every month or so.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    Even with an X Factor lead-in, it does poorly in the ratings. It's just the demos which prevent it from being axed. ITV would be better off sticking something there that could pull in double what it gets.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    ITV would be better off sticking something there that could pull in double what it gets.

What might that be ?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Too many Itv names like James Arthur, Cilla, in the lineup. No wonder Graham Norton always wins the ratings who manages to get A listers almost every week, whereas Ross gets an A lister once every month or so.

Graham Norton often gets the 'BBC names' as well. Someone from Strictly is guaranteed to appear this series for example. No doubt someone from The Voice later on.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graham Norton week one, Harrison Ford (rare guest) Benedict Cumberbatch (great guest) against James Arthur and Cilla Black, no contest. Wish GN was longer though 45 mins is not enough. I'm sure they used to run a longer version a few days after transmission.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    fayebeatle wrote: »
    Graham Norton week one, Harrison Ford (rare guest) Benedict Cumberbatch (great guest) against James Arthur and Cilla Black, no contest. Wish GN was longer though 45 mins is not enough. I'm sure they used to run a longer version a few days after transmission.

Well done, you compared Graham Norton's strongest two guests, against Jonathan Ross's weakest two. :D
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You aren't limited to watching one chat show a week you know. They do air on different days.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Graham Norton week one Jack Whitehall and James Blunt against Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock, no contest.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Week 2 of Norton- Sir Paul McCartney, James Corden, Katy Perry and Natalie Portman.
    Norton gets the A-list and does it very well. Carr gets the more eccentric guests and likewise does it well. Aside from the odd exceptions (Hanks and Bullock), Ross gets the scraps and ITV fodder.

Sandra Bullock was already on Norton, on his series finale just a few months ago.
    The bookings for future weeks of JR look incredibly thin.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem with watching Jonathon Ross is having to watch, the so much in love with himself,Jonathon Ross.I gave up a long time ago. Horrible man.
  • ivqiiivqii Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    The only problem with watching Jonathon Ross is having to watch, the so much in love with himself,Jonathon Ross.I gave up a long time ago. Horrible man.

Absolutely agree - he has never grown up and is often inappropriate

I would rather watch Sarah Millican:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Week 2 of Norton- Sir Paul McCartney, James Corden, Katy Perry and Natalie Portman.

Sandra Bullock was already on Norton, on his series finale just a few months ago.
    The bookings for future weeks of JR look incredibly thin.

Aah yes, I forgot about that! I also remember Tom Hanks on Norton a couple of years ago with Simon Pegg too. Then again, I suppose you could say Hanks was on with Ross while he was still at the BBC even before that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not only that Ross gets the below-par guests (Jeremy Kyle and Peter Andre anyone?), he just asks the most inane and unprofessional questions. He asked Eddie Redmayne if he had freckles on his genitals for crying out loud.
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivqii wrote: »

I would rather watch Sarah Millican:eek:

BIB totally agree. I find him to be really smutty & I cannot bear it. give me GN any day of the week.
  • thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sick of this being on now. I don't watch it, I haven't since series 1, but I always forget to switch over after X Factor and end up seeing him and his terrible guests. I can't believe there's three more series to come :mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I'm sick of this being on now. I don't watch it, I haven't since series 1, but I always forget to switch over after X Factor and end up seeing him and his terrible guests. I can't believe there's three more series to come :mad::mad:

This gets funnier the more you read it. :D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just don't like Ross and are looking for a "reason", but Graham Norton is far more trite than Jonathan Ross ever was,

It's ok to just not like someone.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »

Just to say, Chris Hemsworth has been added to week 2 as well. I thought he might end up with Ross while his co star did Norton.

Week 3 for Norton is Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jennifer Saunders and Cher.

http://digiguide.tv/programme-details/BBC+1/25+October+2013/21:35/The+Graham+Norton+Show/
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Bullocks & Hanks, but I'll give them a pass on Ross.
  • lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Ross has lost his edge by playing it safe so the appeal of his show lies entirely with the guests ,and many weeks its uninspiring.

Norton on the other hand can take a fairly bland sounding lineup and still make an interesting show thanks to the format of all the guests on the sofa together which makes it appear less of a PR exercise than Rossy.

As for Alan Carr - he wastes so much time talking rubbish and making a big deal out of the drinks cabinet that you hear very little from the guests , made worse by the scatter gun choppy editing .
    Nortons edits are almost seamless
  • lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ivqii wrote: »
    You must still be watching BBC shows from his golden era.
    Now that was inappropriate on occasion and all the better for it
  • Paul_Howard1Paul_Howard1 Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why itv have commissioned this series . Last series rating were poor. If they want a chat show . Why not try someone new
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Alan Carr's got Britney Spears next week. That's a bit of a coup as she hasn't been on UK telly for years!

The way i see it Graham gets majority of A-list Hollywood guests. JR gets some A-list Hollywood guests and some plain ordinary guests and Alan gets showbiz A-list types (Rihanna/Justin Timberlake/Miley Cyrus/Britney Spears - mostly music based) mixed with Ch4 celebs and tv celebs.