Forum Member
Alan Davies does the winter olympics.

Only on in the background, is it meant to inspire or depress us? :o:o:o:o:o:o

Comments

• Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical BBC fee paying overload: they invited half a dozen lifeless guests to say very little.

It partly wanted to take the proverbials out of the winter olympics (the BBC were very proud of their involvement in 2012) but had to be serious now and then because the olympics is a jolly serious thing.

A mess.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking they wanted their own last leg.

Alas, epic fail.
  • Options
    WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member

Alas, epic fail.

I agree.

The most interesting guest on the show was, of course, Konrad Bartelski - still trying to figure out why the rest were actually there (well, apart from ripping into the Danish lass who was there to make Team GB look good when compared to Team Denmark)
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Alas, epic fail.

I only managed ten minutes of it had to turn over to The Last Leg which i was recording, It might of worked if Alan Davies was not presenting he is dreadful
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyond dire.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was pretty poor.......Alan obviously didn't have much of a clue about the sports

he was reading off cards when interviewing Amy Williams........very unprofessional !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are two weeks of the winter olympics and accordingly, two more episodes of this oddity.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    It was pretty poor.......Alan obviously didn't have much of a clue about the sports

he was reading off cards when interviewing Amy Williams........very unprofessional !

Yeah, if only Bruce Forsyth hadn't used cards when speaking to contestants on The Generation Game, what an amateur.

As for the extremely unprofessional David Frost and his clipboard did he ever work again on TV after That Was The Week That Was?
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two seconds I saw of it looked pretty poor. The Last Leg was far superior.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Dreadful stuff, Alan Davies was really bad at reading the autocue the jokes fell flat, the audience didnt know when to laugh as none of the jokes were funny. Pointless guests. Plus i can't stand the Irish comedian, one of the worst things i have seen in ages and i watched The Jump :o:D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Alan Davies does the winter olympics.

Only on in the background, is it meant to inspire or depress us? :o:o:o:o:o:o

I thought your thread title was pretty rubbish too ;-) insofar as it left me having to second guess what it was about, but actually I guessed it must be about this show before I opened it up and read your post. So actually, maybe it was quite a good title in some kind of ironic way after all. :p

Apres Ski with Alan Davies. A simple question - WHY? :confused:

I didn't expect my sides to be bursting with mirth at it, or to be overly entertained, but it did not even begin to reach my low expectations of it. This was utterly dreadful and uninspiring stuff, as unfunny as it was pointless. I was sitting bolt upright in a chair, wide awake at 10pm when it began yet by 10.15pm I'd fallen asleep before stirring at 10.24pm again. I never do that! When it ended I realised I could have been watching The Last Leg and was livid with myself.

What did this show want to be, except an insult to viewers, an insult to comedy and an insult to sport.

BBC's reputation trickles away a little bit further by the day.

It's almost as if the BBC just wanted to give Alan Davies something to do...anything. It's bizarre. Plus he's just not consistently amusing in any way whatsoever.

He could do a new Winter Olympic sport - Curling....Toe Curling. :blush:
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    the olympics is a jolly serious thing.

But the W.O. is merely a load of people in a foreign country finding different ways to slide around on some ice . << YAAAAWWWWWWN! >>
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    But the W.O. is merely a load of people in a foreign country finding different ways to slide around on some ice . << YAAAAWWWWWWN! >>

I always find your posts so insightful that I tend to make a point of watching what you slag off.

This has led me to see many wonderful shows over time

I had no real interest in the WO but I will now give them a go - Thanks Petely
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

i4u wrote: »
    Yeah, if only Bruce Forsyth hadn't used cards when speaking to contestants on The Generation Game, what an amateur.

As for the extremely unprofessional David Frost and his clipboard did he ever work again on TV after That Was The Week That Was?

Nothing wrong with using cards or even a Teleprompter but his reading was so stilted, Amy Williams came over as a much more natural speaker and she is quite new to commentating.

The laughter from the audience did not sound natural, might not have been a laugh track but there was something odd about it.
  • Options
    anngall10anngall10 Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    I suffered 10 mins of this rubbish.....really only to annoy other half who hates any Olympics summer or winter. Even couldn't suffer any further. Who the hell were the guests? And the lady on the tea-tray.... It can't be that hard if she just decided to take it cos it was 5 ins from her house! Lol ...she presented better than Jonathen Creek.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with using cards or even a Teleprompter but his reading was so stilted, Amy Williams came over as a much more natural speaker and she is quite new to commentating.

The laughter from the audience did not sound natural, might not have been a laugh track but there was something odd about it.

I saw Amy Williams earlier in the day and her potential was noted.

As for Alan Davies, maybe Stephen Fry can teach him a thing or two about presenting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it was really that good a format for any comedian to present. It was probably conceived by a committee:

"We need a light entertainment show to celebrate the winter olympics."

"Yeh, and it should be informative"

"But not dry and boring."

"Fronted by a comedian?"

"Man of the ignorant, Alan Davies from QI?"

"Yeh."

"Excellent!"
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I thought your thread title was pretty rubbish too insofar as it left me having to second guess what it was about, but actually I guessed it must be about this show before I opened it up and read your post. So actually, maybe it was quite a good title in some kind of ironic way after all.

Apres Ski with Alan Davies. A simple question - WHY?

I didn't expect my sides to be bursting with mirth at it, or to be overly entertained, but it did not even begin to reach my low expectations of it. This was utterly dreadful and uninspiring stuff, as unfunny as it was pointless. I was sitting bolt upright in a chair, wide awake at 10pm when it began yet by 10.15pm I'd fallen asleep before stirring at 10.24pm again. I never do that! When it ended I realised I could have been watching The Last Leg and was livid with myself.

What did this show want to be, except an insult to viewers, an insult to comedy and an insult to sport.

BBC's reputation trickles away a little bit further by the day.

It's almost as if the BBC just wanted to give Alan Davies something to do...anything. It's bizarre. Plus he's just not consistently amusing in any way whatsoever.

He could do a new Winter Olympic sport - Curling....Toe Curling.

I was just about to start a thread on the programme because I didn't see a thread about it.

I can't remember much of the show because I watched it at 3am after a night out but I do remember not being impressed.

The female comedian, who looked as though she'd consumed Carey Mulligan, spoke about two sentences in the entire show. The other female guest didn't get much of a look in either.
  • Options
    Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a good idea, terribly executed and presented by someone who struggles to speak proper sentences at the best of times. Gabby Logan did a similar late night spot during London 2012 and made it into an interesting, amusing and light hearted look back at the Olympic day. I don't know when TV bosses will learn that most comedians don't make good presenters and vice versa. Alan Davies should stick to QI where he is the side kick of Stephen Fry and has limited exposure.
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    I was on the internet and my attention was aroused by the smell of death, it turned out to eminate from this WO programme fronted by Alan Davies, which was on the Tv in the background. The performances was very siff which i suppose accounted for the feelings.

Apres Ski with Alan Davies RIP.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    I always find your posts so insightful that I tend to make a point of watching what you slag off.

This has led me to see many wonderful shows over time

I had no real interest in the WO but I will now give them a go - Thanks Petely
    Well, I'm glad to help.
    To save you the trouble, here's a list:
    • soaps
    • celebs
    • chat shows
    • BBC3 (although this is probably redundant, as all it shows is stuff from these other categories)
    • sports
    • emergency-services drama
    • reality
    • house/person make-overs
    • foreign affairs
    • eponymously named shows
    • anything on Sky1 that they call home produced "comedy"
    • anything that has Steven Speilberg's name attached
    • vampires
    • cartoons

But be aware, I haven't ever watched most of these genres.
    If I think of anything more, I'll be sure to slag it off for your benefit.

However, if Sky was to get together with SS and make a chat show full of "gently, quirky" humour where cartoon celebrities filmed a motorway patrol 24*7 in a foreign country during a civil war about a long-running, story-less, competition to redecorate a crypt and named it after the lead celeb, I would be unable to resist ;-)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    I was on the internet and my attention was aroused by the smell of death, it turned out to eminate from this WO programme fronted by Alan Davies, which was on the Tv in the background. The performances was very siff which i suppose accounted for the feelings.

Apres Ski with Alan Davies RIP.

Bury it in the snow and ice and don't let a St.Bernard dog come along and sniff it out again.

The show worked on one Winter Olympic level. It seems to have left most people stone cold.
  • Options
    Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Well, I'm glad to help.
    To save you the trouble, here's a list:
    • soaps
    • celebs
    • chat shows
    • BBC3 (although this is probably redundant, as all it shows is stuff from these other categories)
    • sports
    • emergency-services drama
    • reality
    • house/person make-overs
    • foreign affairs
    • eponymously named shows
    • anything on Sky1 that they call home produced "comedy"
    • anything that has Steven Speilberg's name attached
    • vampires
    • cartoons

Ha ha, love your newly identified genre 'eponymously named shows':

Ross Kemp on.....
    Piers Morgan's...etc
    Richard Hammond's
    Lorraine anything
    Ant and Dec's...... (I don't care how many NTAs they have won for how many years)

Might I also add to the list anything with 'New' in front of the title. This basically means "We have made so many series over so many years repeated so many times that all blend into one load of tv mediocrity that we have to tell you when we actually put on a new series."

e.g. All New Gadget Show, New You've Been Framed
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    Ha ha, love your newly identified genre 'eponymously named shows':

Ross Kemp on.....
    Piers Morgan's...etc
    Richard Hammond's
    Lorraine anything
    Ant and Dec's...... (I don't care how many NTAs they have won for how many years)

Might I also add to the list anything with 'New' in front of the title. This basically means "We have made so many series over so many years repeated so many times that all blend into one load of tv mediocrity that we have to tell you when we actually put on a new series."

e.g. All New Gadget Show, New You've Been Framed
    I think it's more to do with the amount of repeats these days.
    The put New at the start of the title to tell you that it's a new episode and then repeat the episode several times so it's not new anymore but still listed as such :confused:>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote:
    The other female guest didn't get much of a look in either.

Although she did have nice legs.