"10 men" Man City stroll - worrying

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
Forum Member
If anyone says the Premiership is the best league in the world again, then they merely need to watch a video of Hull City 0-2 (10 men) Man City.

I've never seen a more comfortable victory in the Premiership. City, should have scored more.

Surely a team, losing arguably their best player, after two minutes, should be under constant pressure and probably lose? Nope!

I give credit to Steve Bruce, for his achievements at Hull. They're a very moderate side but despite that have held their own this season and have progressed to the FA Cup Semi Final.

This game just demonstrates the unhealthy dominance of the top four teams in the Premiership. These teams stockpiling the best players at the expense of Premiership credibility. Denying the Hull Citys and lower Premier teams of players who'd improve their sides greatly. In the days of Forest winning the title, good players were more evenly spread around the whole Division. The First Division, was far healthier for that.

A message to those vacuous pundits, please refrain from saying this is the greatest league in the world. It's average apart from the top four!!!:o

Comments

• RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything you say is true, but isn't it the same around the other European leagues ?
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many points have teams outside of the top four taken from the top four this season?

Answer. Alot.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both ends of the table are tighter than a gnats fanny, you just never know what is going to happen either end. Yes there are going to be some obvious relegation's unless miracles happen for certain teams, then at the other end of the table there is the battle of top 4 for the possibility of Champions League. Regardless where my team end up in the table, I still continue to love the PL. :)
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hull were dire, frankly. They know not what offside means, nor can they put in a basic cross.

City were 10 men and poor, Silva and one or two others excepted, but poor was easily good enough. I'm not giving any credit to Bruce for that showing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think The Premiership is now more competitive than most of the other European leagues. Liverpool are back in business, Man Utd will recover with a few signings during the summer, Everton and Spurs were not far off the pace for much of the season. We could have a top 6 or 7 challenging next season, which compares favourably with any league in the world.
    Besides, it's a myth that It used to be a level playing field in the old first division, like society there were always the rich and poor. Unfortunately there always will be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone in that game was poor except Silva and he won them the game, Hull dominated but lacked creativity (and the ability to stay onside it seems).
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Yes, lets judge an entire league on one match.

Brilliant.
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    top four in england

there is a top 2 in spain, (although atletico are having a good season)
    top 1 in germany
    top 2 in spain
    top 1 at the moment in italy, (although there is usually 2 strong teams)
    top 1 in scotland

The list could go on

Least there is more competition in the english league than most other places
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sportgal9 wrote: »
    I've never seen a more comfortable victory in the Premiership. City, should have scored more.

Did you even watch the match?

Hull had more possession and more shots on goals, certainly nothing stroll-like about Man City's victory.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blah blah PUNDITS blah

Poor team loses to championship contender, extry extry
  • super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hull were dire, frankly.

Or maybe Man City were better.

They know not what offside means, nor can they put in a basic cross.g.

It's not easy to defeat Man City's offside trap.
  • General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe Man City were better.

It's not easy to defeat Man City's offside trap.

Fair enough, I though it was a very low quality game, that Silva stood out by contrast.

City were vulnerable today, but Hull could have played for a week without scoring!
  • thegreytistthegreytist Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Blah blah blah so what? The better team usually overcomes the inferior team with one less man.

Anyway I'd still fancy the bottom teams in the Premier League (please stop calling it the Premiership) to beat their equivalent teams in the other European leagues that are apparently soooo much better than ours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, I though it was a very low quality game, that Silva stood out by contrast.

City were vulnerable today, but Hull could have played for a week without scoring!

They were vulnerable but they also knew they had to win the game to stay in the title race.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    top four in england

there is a top 2 in spain, (although atletico are having a good season)
    top 1 in germany
    top 2 in spain
    top 1 at the moment in italy, (although there is usually 2 strong teams)
    top 1 in scotland

The list could go on

Least there is more competition in the english league than most other places

Athletico are having more than just a "good season", they're 3 points off the top and have a better head to head record than Real, meaning if they finish on the same points they would win the league. All 3 spanish teams are arguably out-performing the English counterparts in europe at the moment, although its difficult to tell how far all of them will go ultimately.

Half of la liga, like England are in a relegation dog fight with 7 points seperating 11th place from 18th. Also regarding winners, I think since the formation of the premier league England has had 5 different winners, same number as Spain? Of course history wise England has a lot more but generally speaking England has had similar number of winners in recent years compared to Spain.

So, usually from the likes of Sky most people are spoonfed the "best league in the world" stuff out of no more than sheer nationalism. Of course what makes the English strong isn't a lot to do with England, since a lot of the money is foreign, the players are foreign, the coaches are foreign etc etc.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    It depend on what you think makes it the best league.

In terms of popularity the PL wins hands down .

It has more tv viewers per match on average than the La liga, Serie A and Bundesliga combined.
    Same for social media.

http://ads.unibet.com/unibet/best_league_infographic/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    The marketing of the PREMIER LEAGUE, is the best in the world. The product isn't.

If someone offered me 200 quid to go and watch Sunderland vs Palace yesterday (before the game) i'd no way go. It's just very very average fare. Yet the commentators are gushing with praise for what's on offer.

I realise other leagues are similar in that they too have teams dominating year after year.

Of course we want to see top players at clubs like Chelsea, Man U, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, but surely a cap on internationals would be good for the game. Or some way of making the league fairer. This also stifles the progress of good youngsters.

Michelle Platini has stressed his concerns at this continued stockpiling by the rich clubs. It's just not healthy for football per se.

Drop Cardiff, Norwich, Hull, Sunderland, Palace, Stoke, Fulham, West Brom, Swansea, West Ham or Villa into the Championship next season, with the same squads, and they'd all struggle to get out.

I just don't get the love for the Premier League when it's so tilted in favour of the richer clubs?
  • biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hull were very poor and just didn't seem to know how to play against 10 men. I don't think City were using an offside trap as such, the Hull players just kept getting into offside positions. I think it between us and Germany as to which league is best, although Germany have the best supported club in the world, Dortmund, (possibly because their stadium is larger than Old Trafford), and the Bundesliga has the highest average attendances of any league in the world. This season, any one of 4 clubs could still win the Premier League. City look favourites, but 1 bad result could change that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggeral wrote: »
    I don't think City were using an offside trap as such, th

You probably watched the wrong game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't get the love for the Premier League when it's so tilted in favour of the richer clubs?

We have many quality teams . You can't say that about the Bundesliga, La Liga or Seria A.

Bayern Munich won 23 out of 25 league games this season. If that is not "strolling" .. then I don't know what strolling is.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps a Premiership consisting of eight teams that play each other four times?

That way, it would be guaranteed "PREMIERSHIP" quality? It would also reduce the "games per season" schedule. That, as a consequence, might help the International sides and clubs competing in the Champions' league?

1 Chelsea
    2 Man City
    3 Liverpool
    4 Arsenal
    5 Tottenham
    6 Everton
    7 Man Utd
    8 Southampton
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The marketing of the PREMIER LEAGUE, is the best in the world. The product isn't.

If someone offered me 200 quid to go and watch Sunderland vs Palace yesterday (before the game) i'd no way go. It's just very very average fare. Yet the commentators are gushing with praise for what's on offer.

I realise other leagues are similar in that they too have teams dominating year after year.

Of course we want to see top players at clubs like Chelsea, Man U, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, but surely a cap on internationals would be good for the game. Or some way of making the league fairer. This also stifles the progress of good youngsters.

Michelle Platini has stressed his concerns at this continued stockpiling by the rich clubs. It's just not healthy for football per se.

Drop Cardiff, Norwich, Hull, Sunderland, Palace, Stoke, Fulham, West Brom, Swansea, West Ham or Villa into the Championship next season, with the same squads, and they'd all struggle to get out.

No, but I wouldn't have gone to watch Rayo Vallecano v Almeria in La Liga either..though it might have been a good game.
    There will always be big teams attracting the best players, clubs with money and clubs without. As soon as the maximum wage was abolished (which was surely a good thing at the time ?) the game changed. The best players naturally graduated towards the wealthy clubs. Before that, it wasn't unusual to find England internationals playing in the lower divisions..and there were very few foreign players of course.
    I can't think of any solution that would result in a more level playing field, not one that would be appealing to the majority anyway. In that way football mirrors society, people say they want equality but they don't want the sort of system that might deliver it. :)
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think 8 teams would be too many.

They should make it a 4 team league comprising of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City.

The league to be renamed The Super Duper League and each team plays each other 50 times.
    Forum Member
    No, but I wouldn't have gone to watch Rayo Vallecano v Almeria in La Liga either..though it might have been a good game.
    There will always be big teams attracting the best players, clubs with money and clubs without. As soon as the maximum wage was abolished (which was surely a good thing at the time ?) the game changed. The best players naturally graduated towards the wealthy clubs. Before that, it wasn't unusual to find England internationals playing in the lower divisions..and there were very few foreign players of course.
    I can't think of any solution that would result in a more level playing field, not one that would be appealing to the majority anyway. In that way football mirrors society, people say they want equality but they don't want the sort of system that might deliver it. :)

I'm not sure La Liga are claiming to be the best league in the world. We're constantly reminded The Premiership is!? This promoted mainly by lazy journalists or those with a vested interest in creating such a facade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure La Liga are claiming to be the best league in the world. We're constantly reminded The Premiership is!? This promoted mainly by lazy journalists or those with a vested interest in creating such a facade.

Oh I expect they do make similar claims, we just don't get to hear about it as much. I'm sure a straw poll of the Spanish media and fans would show that they consider La Liga is superior in terms of quality.
    I'm not so sure that we do claim that the Premier League is the best anyway ? The usual claim is that it's the most exciting, which appears to be validated by the viewing figures around the world. But our media often admitted be were behind in terms of technique and skill.