Options

Top 5 best/worst 2013-14 PL signings

OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
Forum Member
Based on whatever you want, mine are mostly based on value for money really.

Do a different league if you want

Best
1. Alvaro Negredo (£16.4m) - has slumped a bit recently but has been a good signing for Man City, 20 goals in 31 games
2. Mathieu Flamini (free) - Really adds something to the Arsenal team
3. Tom Huddlestone (£5.25m) - Has been good for Hull, teams up well with Livermore. Finally managed to break his goal drought and shave his hair. Side note - think Hull made a lot of good signings, possibly the best in the league, which is why they are effectively safe from relegation now.
4. Romelu Lukaku - I don't know why Chelsea let him go out on loan again considering their strike force issues. Think he has been key to Everton's success this year. 13 PL goals.
5. Wilfried Bony (£12m)- 20 goals with 11 in the PL. The guy is an absolute beast and the goalscorer Swansea needed.

Honourable mentions to: Gareth Barry, Jonathan de Guzman, Fernadinho, Loic Remy, Nathan Redmond

Worst
1. Andreas Cornelius (£8m) - Clubs record fee. 8 apps, 0 goals, sold back to Copenhagen with Cardiff losing most of their money.
2. Roberto Soldado (£26m) - Considering how much they paid for him I think this guy has been a huge let down for Spurs. 6 PL goals 2 from open play.
3. Pablo Osvaldo (£12m) - 13 apps 3 goals but more importantly caused Southampton a huge amount of trouble by being a grade A ****. Juventus have an option to buy at the end of the season which will see the Saints get all their money back plus some, reckon they would rather things had worked out a bit better though.
4. Ricky van Wolfswinkel (£8.8m) - Another record signing who has been a bit shit. One goal all season. Unfortunately for Hughton none of the strikers he bought in have lived up to expectations, Norwich have the second lowest goal tally this season (26 atm), with RvW contributing 1 of those.
5. Erika Lamela (£25.8m) Feel for the guy, is young and obviously having trouble adjusting. Has the added pressure of being a big signing money and expectations wise

Honourable mentions to: poor old Danny Graham, who in typical fashion ended his goal drought against his former club. Don't know what happened with him he did a decent job for us our first season in the PL, 12 goal in the league, every January signing made by Swansea (at least they were cheap), Nicolas Anelka (originally in my top 5 but decided Lamela should go above him considering he cost a bomb)

I notice all my 'worst' players are strikers, guess it is easier to notice when a striker isn't scoring much :/

Comments

• Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Best move of the summer was Liverpool holding on to Suarez!!

Not to be awkward but maybe a tad premature? Should Everton get top 4 Lukaku and Barry could play a huge role between now and May. Similarly if City don't win title and Negredo continues in this lesser form for the rest of the season it may be harder make a case for him. Could work other way. Plenty football to be played yet

Another thing is how do you measure it. Negredo is performing highly for PL contenders. Hard to compare that with Bony for a mid-table team. Like Ozil has been a better player than many you name even though he's slumped in recent weeks by his standards. Have to look at it relatively I suppose, but I always think these things are hard enough to measure objectively
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No mention for Fellaini? I thought that he was bound to pop up somewhere on your second list!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Best move of the summer was Liverpool holding on to Suarez!!

Not to be awkward but maybe a tad premature? Should Everton get top 4 Lukaku and Barry could play a huge role between now and May. Similarly if City don't win title and Negredo continues in this lesser form for the rest of the season it may be harder make a case for him. Could work other way. Plenty football to be played yet

Another thing is how do you measure it. Negredo is performing highly for PL contenders. Hard to compare that with Bony for a mid-table team. Like Ozil has been a better player than many you name even though he's slumped in recent weeks by his standards. Have to look at it relatively I suppose, but I always think these things are hard enough to measure objectively

Lol I didn't really think about it that much, just made the list quickly :p Ozil didn't make my list because I think the players mentioned have offered more considering what was paid for them. Ozil is good but he was also very expensive.
    No mention for Fellaini? I thought that he was bound to pop up somewhere on your second list!

I thought about adding him but my worst list was getting a bit long.:blush:

My list isn't definitive I thought people were going to add their own:p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Surely has to. When you consider the price-tag like. He'd be a fortunate second to Soldado for me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol I didn't really think about it that much, just made the list quickly :p Ozil didn't make my list because I think the players mentioned have offered more considering what was paid for them. Ozil is good but he was also very expensive.

I'll give my own too for fairness, won't shy away ;)

As things stand

1. Negredo
    2. Fernandinho
    3. Flamini
    4. Barry
    5. Ozil

People might raise eyebrows at Ozil but his impact in the first few months was second to none for me. Recency effect skews many peoples views on this but thought he deserved a place for his role in the first half. Not many really jump out to be fully honest.

Matic looks on course to be a stellar signing for Chelsea obviously the fact he joined in Jan counts against him for something like this...
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Surely has to. When you consider the price-tag like. He'd be a fortunate second to Soldado for me

They'd both be below Lamela, for me (Clive).

At least Fellaini and Soldado have played some games.

From the very little I've seen of him, Salah looks like a very decent player for Chelsea. Jovetic has been a bit of a flop, but then he's been injured I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They'd both be below Lamela, for me (Clive).

At least Fellaini and Soldado have played some games.

From the very little I've seen of him, Salah looks like a very decent player for Chelsea. Jovetic has been a bit of a flop, but then he's been injured I guess.

Think Salah will prove a very shrewd piece of business by Jose along with Matic

A proven goalscorer can fire them to the title next season. Think they'll fall short this year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I think Fellaini to United for £27m is probably the most stupid premier league signing that's ever been made. I'm not just saying that, I genuinely can't think of any worse wastes of money. :blush::o
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Fellaini to United for £27m is probably the most stupid premier league signing that's ever been made. I'm not just saying that, I genuinely can't think of any worse wastes of money. :blush::o

I can think of 2 off the top of my head involving your club, 1 in and 1 out.

Both were more than £27m too.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best:

1. Fernandinho (Man City)
    2. Mathieu Flamini (Arsenal)
    3. Gareth Barry (Everton)
    4. Jason Puncheon (Crystal Palace)
    5. Loic Remy (Newcastle)

Honorable mentions: Simon Mignolet (Liverpool), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea), Alvaro Negredo (Man City), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Dejan Lovren (Southampton), Morgan Amalfitano (West Brom), Shane Long (Hull).

Worst:
    1. Marouane Fellaini (Man United)
    2. Roberto Soldado (Tottenham)
    3. Yaya Sanogo (Arsenal)
    4. Andreas Cornelius (Cardiff)
    5. Alvaro Vasquez (Swansea)

Honorable mentions: Arouna Kone (Everton), Fernando Amorebieta (Fulham), Danny Graham (Hull), Victor Moses (Liverpool), Ricky Van Wolfswinkel (Norwich), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Santiago Vergini (Sunderland).
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member

You might not have grasped irony, but you've got sarcasm right.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Now your talking James ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Best:

1. Fernandinho (Man City)
    2. Mathieu Flamini (Arsenal)
    3. Gareth Barry (Everton)
    4. Jason Puncheon (Crystal Palace)
    5. Loic Remy (Newcastle)

Honorable mentions: Simon Mignolet (Liverpool), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea), Alvaro Negredo (Man City), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Dejan Lovren (Southampton), Morgan Amalfitano (West Brom), Shane Long (Hull).

Worst:
    1. Marouane Fellaini (Man United)
    2. Roberto Soldado (Tottenham)
    3. Yaya Sanogo (Arsenal)
    4. Andreas Cornelius (Cardiff)
    5. Alvaro Vasquez (Swansea)

Honorable mentions: Arouna Kone (Everton), Fernando Amorebieta (Fulham), Danny Graham (Hull), Victor Moses (Liverpool), Ricky Van Wolfswinkel (Norwich), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Santiago Vergini (Sunderland).

was going to have Vasquez, agree he is absolute crap, but can't imagine we paid much for his loan at all so he escaped. :p
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Altidore.
    Altidore.
    Altidore.
    Altidore.
    Elbows Felliaini
  • Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure loan signings like Moss and Vazquez can count as bad signings. They'll just go back to their parent clubs with very little fuss.

Best for me are Fernandinho, Flamini, Barry, Negredo and Sakho

Worst are Fellaini, Lamela, Cornelius, Soldado and Mitroglu purely based on return for the money spent.

It was much easier to think of the second list
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure loan signings like Moss and Vazquez can count as bad signings. They'll just go back to their parent clubs with very little fuss.

I think it's easier to judge loan signings, because you know exactly how long they have to make an impact. They have one year to do something useful for the club they've gone to, and with 1 month to go, they've done very little.

Permanent players on the other hand...you never know if they'll come good. Players that are seen as flops after 1 season (from a Liverpool perspective, Lucas and Henderson spring to mind) are often seen as fantastic buys a little later down the road.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anelka >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No mention of James McCarthy. Not saying top 5 at 13million but the indications are that this is going to prove a snip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Torres was once an amazing player who scored a lot of goals. Chelsea gambled that when they signed him he'd become that amazing player once again but the gamble didn't pay off. Fellaini, on the other hand, was never an amazing player and god only knows why Moyes thought he'd be good enough for the champions. :confused:

Carroll was too expensive but he wasn't a stupid signing because it looked like he might be the next big thing and anyway we had just sold Torres for a lot more so in effect Carroll didn't cost us anything.

So nice try, but no cigar for you on this occasion.:p
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best signing isn't a player but a manager - Tony Pulis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sattrega wrote: »
    Best signing isn't a player but a manager - Tony Pulis.

Good call about mentioning managers.

On that basis, worst signing is David Moyes. :o
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Good call about mentioning managers.

On that basis, worst signing is David Moyes. :o

Change the record.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carroll was too expensive but he wasn't a stupid signing because it looked like he might be the next big thing and anyway we had just sold Torres for a lot more so in effect Carroll didn't cost us anything.

Yes, he did. He cost Liverpool £35m, regardless of how much they got for Torres.

That's £35m that could have been spent on football players, rather than a lumbering carthorse.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £35 million is the signing that most hold up there as one of the worst signings in history.

This season, the terrible spurs signings - wasting the Bale money completely, and the panic signing of fellaini, 4 million above his buy-out clause, have to be the worst.

The best signing is Matic for chelsea, exactly what we needed and a bargain price too (effectively a swap for KDB)
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    So nice try, but no cigar for you on this occasion.:p

The argument of a small child with pocket money, not an adult in the real world. I didnt realise that you dont actually spend money when you buy something new to replace something you have sold. I look forward to people robbing you blind the next time you buy a house or trade in your car.