Options

No nice clothes in the shops anymore??

starpress12starpress12 Posts: 212
Forum Member
Don't know is it just me but I am struggle with clothes shopping these days. Going into my local shopping centre or indeed anywhere, there seems to be the same style of clothes there since two years ago. Clothes which look like curtains, floaty dresses etc mostly dull colours and all tired looking at this stage. It seems to have gone this way since the recession came in. Its like no one can be bothered putting thought into or designing clothes properly anymore. I tried internet shopping but could find nothing on there either. Its just not the way it used to be where you find something unique a lot more often, any other readers find this as well. Like im confused as to what exactly is supposed to be in fashion at the moment :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found some old clothes recently (about 4/5 years old). Some really nice jeans. Different colours, designs, shapes. I just thought, "wow, Next actually used to sell nice jeans". Now it's all one tone skinny jeans or "jeggins". No style, no shape, no colour. Just boring and bland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I found some old clothes recently (about 4/5 years old). Some really nice jeans. Different colours, designs, shapes. I just thought, "wow, Next actually used to sell nice jeans". Now it's all one tone skinny jeans or "jeggins". No style, no shape, no colour. Just boring and bland.

Totally agree. Next used to have good clothes before and what is with all the grey school uniform type dresses in there? I too have had to delve into my wardrobe and bring out clothes 5 years old when there was actually a fashion there and start wearing them again
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the stuff out at the moment, loads of nice pastels. Other trends for spring are; black and white; sheer; 'distressed' denim; crop tops; pretty dresses.

Something for all ages/styles as usual. Daisy accessories are also 'big' and very pretty (imo). Give it a Google OP. Hopefully you'll find some 'in' trends that you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like the stuff out at the moment, loads of nice pastels. Other trends for spring are; black and white; sheer; 'distressed' denim; crop tops; pretty dresses.

Something for all ages/styles as usual. Daisy accessories are also 'big' and very pretty (imo). Give it a Google OP. Hopefully you'll find some 'in' trends that you like.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week I bought quite a lot of clobber ready for Summer. There was loads of decent stuff in the shops.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything is too short at the moment. I'm over 40 and 5'8" and really don't want dresses that flash my backside to the world every time I bend down
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Everything is too short at the moment. I'm over 40 and 5'8" and really don't want dresses that flash my backside to the world every time I bend down

I have the opposite problem (not the age one unfortunately). I'm about 5'3" and maxi dresses make me look as if I'm dragging myself across the floor :D
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found menswear hasn't been appealing since the mid 2000s.
  • Options
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I poked my nose in Next last Friday and the men's dept was 85% shorts and thin summer shirts, there was a few jeans and the usual undies and sock choice but nothing jumped out at me. Even their choice of suits and shirts was poor.

Tesco is just as crap, Matalan ditto, Asda Can surprise.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Men's clothing is a real puzzle to me at the moment. I see load of chubby "youffs", yet all the clothes in shops are for stick-thins.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clothes are clothes. I just buy when I really need to.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    And all the guys clothes seem destined to turn you into some hipster knob :(
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Men's clothing is a real puzzle to me at the moment. I see load of chubby "youffs", yet all the clothes in shops are for stick-thins.

Maybe the chubby youths do their clothes shopping at Jacamo.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    And all the guys clothes seem destined to turn you into some hipster knob :(

What absolute bollocks!
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was trying to get an outfit for a party recently and as a forty year old woman over a size 10 really struggled. I ended up paying a ridiculous amount of money for a top I don't even like that much. My husband had the same problem as he doesn't want to look like an old fart but nor does he want to look like a teenager. I find it easier than him to get day to day clothes though.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the trends for Spring 2014 are dull or the same as last two years.

I'm feeling the tribal prints and metallics.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    =Aneechik I've found menswear hasn't been appealing since the mid 2000s.

>>>>>

Simply a sign of the times. Years ago a smart mens tailors used the slogan -

Let Burtons dress you

Replaced by todays slogan - Let Millets dress you
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate hipster jeans. Hate them hate them hate them. I need jeans for my waist but all that is sold is hipsters and people can either see down the back of my trousers when I stand up or all my arse falls out when I sit down. Why can't shops just sell both?
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Topman aside, you can easily say the same thing about menswear. The clothes in the shops are just dull and uninspiring. Just how many T Shirts sporting some city skyline do we need?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Debenhams have some lovely clothes. So does TK Maxx.

Another idea is to visit a seamstress/dressmaker. They often have interesting things in their shop windows taken from ideas from famous designers.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I hate hipster jeans. Hate them hate them hate them. I need jeans for my waist but all that is sold is hipsters and people can either see down the back of my trousers when I stand up or all my arse falls out when I sit down. Why can't shops just sell both?

Marks And Spencers do sensible trousers.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    The tricks salesmen go to.
    In my youth I was often puzzled as to why my newly purchased raincoat or jacket
    seldom looked so smart or fitted so well when at home compared to how smartly it fitted at the time of purchase. Until one day as the salesman steered me towards the full length mirror, extolling the smart fit and quality of my intended purchase, I discovered he was clutching about 6 yards of surplus raincoat at the rear !
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem at the moment is what to wear as a 40-something. I don't what to look like a teenager but I don't want to be mistaken for my dad either.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    =Aneechik I've found menswear hasn't been appealing since the mid 2000s.

>>>>>

Simply a sign of the times. Years ago a smart mens tailors used the slogan -

Let Burtons dress you

Replaced by todays slogan - Let Millets dress you

If you just hit the quote button you don't need to faff about like that ^^^ and it'll be easier for others to read and understand there's a quote there as well.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But on topic I went shopping for some stuff for holiday yesterday. I had to rein myself in cos there's loads of nice stuff in the shops.