Options

Stick or Bust with BT!!!

sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

Just after some advice please. Currently with BT, upto 20Mb service. Regualarly get 5-6.5Mb download on the unlimited plan, option 3. I negotiated a cheaper deal £7 off the list price 10 months ago.

My query is: do I stay with BT where my service is stable and I have had no tech problems or do I go to Virgin which will save me £150 a year on the 10Mb service and the speed test sites show that people regularly achieve the published speeds in my area?

Any answers would be greatly received. I may run both side by side initially "just incase"!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we had cable here I would be gone in a flash, but we have not.

I am with Bt myself, but looking at changing to another ISP, but no cable here and only two LLU ISP's.

Still looking
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive always had bt since i first got on the internet.
    in the whole 6 years ive never had one single problem so i wouldnt care if somewhere else was a bit cheaper:)
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Well I'm currently wth BT and paying an extortionate amount considering the appalling broadband speeds I can get ..... it's almost as bad as dial up, in fact at times dial up was quicker!! :eek:

I've had cheaper quotes for both landline rental and BB with other ISP's so called them last Tuesday to get my MAC code. The guy I spoke to convinced me that BT was still the best option, reduced the BB to £9.99 plus £11.54 for line rental, and on top of that offered a new Home hub and also a one off payment of £24 credit to my next bill. I went along with this and he said he would call me back later in the day or he would email me ..... still waiting!!

So I called them last night, spoke to a forceful woman who reneged on the deal, and said she could only offer the broadband for £12.99 so total would be £24.53 rather than the £21.53 I had already agreed. She did offer a credit of £36 which she thought would then be equal to the previous offer ..... I did point out that I was still worse off to the tune of £24, however she failed to grasp that one.

She treated me like she was doing me a favour, was really stroppy, she wasn't interested as to what I had already been offered, and after I had explained she said 'now you've finished can I have my say? :eek: ..... in hindsight it may have been a blessing that the charge on my phone ran out and cut the call off. As she rang me, I thought she may ring me back, but she didn't. Typical BT!! :mad:

When I have a couple of hours to spare, and a lot of patience I will have to call back and attempt to get my MAC code.

Everything seems fine with BT as long as you are paying over the odds for their pretty slow service. I don't want the earth, just to pay a fair price for a fair service ..... and perhaps get a more friendly voice at the end of the phone.

If you are saving that much perhaps you could attempt to call BT and asked them to match Virgin, if not you may as well cut and run ....... Good Luck to you when you call. ;)
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Stunty wrote: »
    Well I'm currently wth BT and paying an extortionate amount considering the appalling broadband speeds I can get ..... it's almost as bad as dial up, in fact at times dial up was quicker!! :eek:

I've had cheaper quotes for both landline rental and BB with other ISP's so called them last Tuesday to get my MAC code. The guy I spoke to convinced me that BT was still the best option, reduced the BB to £9.99 plus £11.54 for line rental, and on top of that offered a new Home hub and also a one off payment of £24 credit to my next bill. I went along with this and he said he would call me back later in the day or he would email me ..... still waiting!!

So I called them last night, spoke to a forceful woman who reneged on the deal, and said she could only offer the broadband for £12.99 so total would be £24.53 rather than the £21.53 I had already agreed. She did offer a credit of £36 which she thought would then be equal to the previous offer ..... I did point out that I was still worse off to the tune of £24, however she failed to grasp that one.

She treated me like she was doing me a favour, was really stroppy, she wasn't interested as to what I had already been offered, and after I had explained she said 'now you've finished can I have my say? :eek: ..... in hindsight it may have been a blessing that the charge on my phone ran out and cut the call off. As she rang me, I thought she may ring me back, but she didn't. Typical BT!! :mad:

When I have a couple of hours to spare, and a lot of patience I will have to call back and attempt to get my MAC code.

Everything seems fine with BT as long as you are paying over the odds for their pretty slow service. I don't want the earth, just to pay a fair price for a fair service ..... and perhaps get a more friendly voice at the end of the phone.

If you are saving that much perhaps you could attempt to call BT and asked them to match Virgin, if not you may as well cut and run ....... Good Luck to you when you call. ;)

They can't as I understand contract law just vary a contract that they have just varied and agreed for you even if they agreed it by phone. The problem is if you made the legal point one or both the people who spoke to you might be in trouble and there's no proof of any contract apart from any recording at their end. On the other hand they are the ones who want to rely on spoken contracts. and if you make one you can't just forget it........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They can't as I understand contract law just vary a contract that they have just varied and agreed for you even if they agreed it by phone. The problem is if you made the legal point one or both the people who spoke to you might be in trouble and there's no proof of any contract apart from any recording at their end. On the other hand they are the ones who want to rely on spoken contracts. and if you make one you can't just forget it........

Well I foolishly assumed that the contract I agreed on the first phone call would be honoured.

The woman I spoke to said wtte, that the guy probably had the best of intentions but somehow hasn't folowed up on the call. I did think at the time, that by saying that they must know that they give a pretty shabby service and they can't be trusted ..... I didn't actually mention that as I was too afraid that the woman would probably give me a mouthful in return, and really I was getting a little tired of her manner, yes she was THAT bad, and I'm still wondering how on earth BT let her loose on the phones. :eek:

I do find it interesting that they say they record all conversations for security and so on ...... however I now realise that these will only be used if the end result benefits BT, and NOT the customer.

Thanks for your comments, I may bring them up on my next foray of contacting BT.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about BT is it is all about profits & the shareholders in BT, they want their dividends & don't much care how they get it, the BT shareholders agm must be an eyeopener if you were a fly on the wall, ask yourself how come other isps offer broadband at say £10 to £12 unlimited & BT can't or wont do the same?. Back on subject if I was with BT unlimited broadband I would be online all day just to get the value out of my £24.99 or what ever it is they charge if I didn't any problems with BT on that basis then sure stay with them if your happy:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    The thing about BT is it is all about profits & the shareholders in BT, they want their dividends & don't much care how they get it
    And the other ISPs are charity organisations?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    BT are just the least efficient. with a lot of fat cats to pay running the show.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    The thing about BT is it is all about profits & the shareholders in BT, they want their dividends & don't much care how they get it, the BT shareholders agm must be an eyeopener if you were a fly on the wall, ask yourself how come other isps offer broadband at say £10 to £12 unlimited & BT can't or wont do the same?. Back on subject if I was with BT unlimited broadband I would be online all day just to get the value out of my £24.99 or what ever it is they charge if I didn't any problems with BT on that basis then sure stay with them if your happy:)

Its not about dividends. BT pay a pittance and I think the shares are worth about 12% of what they were in 2000.

Another big issue is if there is any alternative locally and if there is, is it an better at sorting out problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the other ISPs are charity organisations?

didn't say other isps were charity organisations BT have always been more expensive than other isps & landline phones now back to the subject:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not about dividends. BT pay a pittance and I think the shares are worth about 12% of what they were in 2000.

Another big issue is if there is any alternative locally and if there is, is it an better at sorting out problems.

it is all about profits Vodafone are the same.
  • Options
    airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sps1013 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just after some advice please. Currently with BT, upto 20Mb service. Regualarly get 5-6.5Mb download on the unlimited plan, option 3. I negotiated a cheaper deal £7 off the list price 10 months ago.

My query is: do I stay with BT where my service is stable and I have had no tech problems or do I go to Virgin which will save me £150 a year on the 10Mb service and the speed test sites show that people regularly achieve the published speeds in my area?

Any answers would be greatly received. I may run both side by side initially "just incase"!

Thanks

Run!

I was a ten year 100% BT customer until recently. But, a drastic drop in my line speed after a so-called upgrade to make my line faster and the next to useless support given afterward had me jump ship and run to BE Broadband.

Don't put up with shoddy and downright 2nd rate service through a sense of loyalty. In my experience the loyalty is and only ever will be one-way.

Also, don't be lulled into a false hope situation by offers of help by BT Support on here as it very rarely comes to anything. I had three of these so-called offers and after sending the oft requested email. I never heard a thing back from any of them!
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Yes I was with BT for many many years as they are the only provider in our exchange and yes they are not cheap. Anyway, undaunted I moved to Sky Connect which is much cheaper than BT though a badged up BT product. I get speeds up to 7mbps on an up to 8 mbps connection during the day (when I'm at work) then come 5pm every night of the week until midnight and most of the weekend I get speeds between 296 kbps and 600 kbps :eek: All part of Sky traffic management policy.

So you see, the grass may look greener and the price cheaper but ask yourself if you would be happy with a service like that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't say other isps were charity organisations BT have always been more expensive than other isps & landline phones now back to the subject:rolleyes:

Still are as well and yet they now got there so called great bundles,k whihc is certainly not worth having a 18 month contract for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still are as well and yet they now got there so called great bundles, which is certainly not worth having a 18 month contract for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »
    Run!

I was a ten year 100% BT customer until recently. But, a drastic drop in my line speed after a so-called upgrade to make my line faster and the next to useless support given afterward had me jump ship and run to BE Broadband.

Don't put up with shoddy and downright 2nd rate service through a sense of loyalty. In my experience the loyalty is and only ever will be one-way.

Also, don't be lulled into a false hope situation by offers of help by BT Support on here as it very rarely comes to anything. I had three of these so-called offers and after sending the oft requested email. I never heard a thing back from any of them!

If Be unbundled our exchange I think I would give them a try, but it is not going to happen, so some of use got to put up with what we can get. the only ones that unbundled our exchange are cheap and nasty opes, like Talk Talk and orange, but saying that orange is probably better than Talk Talk.
    Mind you Cable and wireless have unbundled at our exchange as well and there are a few resellers and Tescos now uses them, they are cheap, but it is fully unbundled.

Still looking for a new ISP my self, Bt are ok, but a bit pricey and the reason I went to Bt to start with have gone to pot.
  • Options
    sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoke with bt retentions and could not believe them!!
    The guy, English, said that my bb was the best in the uk, I had the unlimited package so why would I leave. Told him that after the upgrade to a 20mb line my projected speed on their site dropped and in reality dropped too. His reply, we upgrade to increase capacity on the network, and my speed dropped due to my line distance relating to my location and that more people were signing up! I stated that that was rubbish I have not moved house and unless somebody put a longer wire from the exchange to my house his point was wrong. His parting line was, you change if you want but don't say I did not warn you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The people at BT are a bit of a giggle ...... but not in a good way eh sps!!

I contacted them again and still they offered me the same deal to sign up for another 12 months. £12.99 for BB, £11.54 for line rental, a new Home hub and if I transferred by calls back to them they would give me a £36 credit on my bill and also get free evening and weekend calls.

Had to laugh at their attempted reasons as to why my BB speeds were rather slow ...... 'are you in a valley' they asked, 'errrrr no in fact I'm about 50 yards from the sea, and a mere 0.7 miles from the exchange'. :p

On the reason why they couldn't reduce my BB to £9.99, they said that as my exchange was not unbundled and any other ISP HAD to use BT equipment they couldn't possibly reduce so as to make it unfair for other providers to compete with them!!!! :eek: I have now heard it all ....... does anyone know if this is correct, do the authorites have a hold over them that they cannot undercut the opposition? :confused:

They did say that they were up-grading gradually but they couldn't confirm whether it would be anywhere near me in the near future ....... I took that as not to hold my breath.:(