Options

Would you bring back the death penalty?

Comments

• Options
    frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote:
    lets add the fact that you joined today (after being banned for abusing me) and your first posts are too me, CAN WE SPELL STALKER? and "poor me i was banned for being an idiot so let me go after this person again on a new name"

FKING yawn. Nice to know i got to you enough for you to need to do this though.
    Erm, no. I am not stalking you. Even if that is your phantasy. Yes, I only joined today. No, I have not been banned before. And definitely not for abusing you. So yawn yourself out as much as you like. I am more interested in your and everyone else's opinions than stalking somebody here on DS
  • Options
    LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frangipane wrote: »
    Erm, no. I am not stalking you. Even if that is your phantasy. Yes, I only joined today. No, I have not been banned before. And definitely not for abusing you. So yawn yourself out as much as you like. I am more interested in your and everyone else's opinions than stalking somebody here on DS

blah de fking blah

everything i said an more

bye now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bye now urself

Nice way to focus attention onto yourself again. Something you seem to have managed time upon time again in the few threads you've been involved in since you joined all those 14 days ago :D

Yours,

your non-stalker
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frangipane wrote: »
    Bye now urself

Nice way to focus attention onto yourself again. Something you seem to have managed time upon time again in the few threads you've been involved in since you joined all those 14 days ago :D

Yours,

your non-stalker

Thanks for making a new account just for me:) thanks with your last post proving how much of a stalker you are, (4 out of your total 5 posts so far being aimed at me) - and referencing other threads and posts from the last few days inspite of you being "new" - how much of an axe do you have to grind, lol like i said, not that smart are you done now, im awfully tired.bye bye.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a private discussion or can anyone join in? NO I would not wish to bring back the death penalty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Is this a private discussion or can anyone join in? NO I would not wish to bring back the death penalty.

lol i do hope other people will :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just getting stupid. I haven't had any account before this. And now I'm being accused by another November signeree of stalking. Sorry, does not compute.

LisaB599, this really is a case of mistaken identity. Honest
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't work and can cost more for someone sentenced to death than to keep them in jail.
    Only if you faff about like they do in the USA. Have you taken into consideration the Pay per view income?
    I already have voted to ban the death penalty permanently in Ireland.

Fair enough. At least you had a vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    Thanks for making a new account just for me:) thanks with your last post proving how much of a stalker you are, (4 out of your total 5 posts so far being aimed at me) - and referencing other threads and posts from the last few days inspite of you being "new" - how much of an axe do you have to grind, lol like i said, not that smart are you done now, im awfully tired.bye bye.

You have imagined all of this. Wanna make an even bigger fool of yourself by accusing me of things I never posted here? Go ahead, I am your target for the week
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    LisaB599 wrote: »

What makes you think he/she made a new account to abuse you? Who were they before?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone aware of the following fact? The British government are allowing a UK company to export a drug to the US that's used in lethal injection executions. This is despite the UK's offical opposition to the death penalty. See link: www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/oct/26/jeffrey-landrigan-execution-sodium-thiopental

Furthermore, on November 2, 2010 Reprieve and Leigh Day and Co. launched legal action against the UK goverment for allowing this (execution drug) export to continue. See report: www.reprieve.org.uk/2010_11_02_zagorski_press_conference
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dropout wrote: »
    The people who are opposing the death penalty all seem a bit depressed and emotional to me.
    Those opposing it are emotional?

What about this response:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=45722890&postcount=191

That was so scary that I decided to stop replying before the poster became hysterical and the moderators had to step in.

In my experience those in favour of the death penalty are the ones more likely to be emotional. Wanting anyone dead is an emotional response in my book and most (not all) protagonists seem to view it as punishment or revenge which makes it even more emotional.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    I know. It baffles me, it really does.
    That's because you're approaching the discussion in a calm and rational manner. Emotional responses are often confusing to those people not experiencing them ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    yes

yes

yes
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    As I've already said, that's a bit of a straw man argument.

Sure, if you're going to hand out a death penalty on the basis of circumstantial or even forensic evidence then it could go back and forth for years and run up a huge cost.

If you initiated a system where the death penalty was only imposed in cases where guilt is incontrovertable (cases where the defendent admits guilt or where there's a reliable eye-witness or CCTV footage etc) then there'd never BE any grounds for all the bullshit appeals and the cost of an execution would be hugely cheaper than a lifetimes incarceration.

but then you're back at the whole issue of having inequity in the judicial system, where two people could both be found guilty if the same crime, and one goes to prison, and the other is executed.

so you'd effectively have three verdicts :

1. not guilty
    2. guilty beyond reasonable doubt
    3. guilty beyond all doubt

is that what you would advocate?

Iain
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Since they were first issued in 2001, the government's figures have consistently put the number of serious re-offences by the top two levels of criminals at around 70. These offences include murder, rape and serious sexual assaults.

The 2007-8 report stated that 79 offenders out of 12,800 being monitored at the high-risk levels had committed further serious crimes after their release.

So that's (at least, probably more) 149 victims more than there should have been.
    That took me just a few minutes to look up. There's more detailed (but not comprehensive) information on the Govt 's own website.

so presumably you'd agree that what we need is tougher sentencing and tighter controls over who is and who isn't released.

either way, I wouldn't be convinced that people should be executed on the grounds of something they *might* do.

Iain
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    The people who are opposing the death penalty all seem a bit depressed and emotional to me.

I'd say they were more likely to be well balanced human beings.

How many who are in favour of the death penalty would actually do the job of an executioner?

How many could live with the guilt if they later found out the person was in fact innocent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YingYang wrote: »
    Is anyone aware of the following fact? The British government are allowing a UK company to export a drug to the US that's used in lethal injection executions. This is despite the UK's offical opposition to the death penalty. See link: www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/oct/26/jeffrey-landrigan-execution-sodium-thiopental

Furthermore, on November 2, 2010 Reprieve and Leigh Day and Co. launched legal action against the UK goverment for allowing this (execution drug) export to continue. See report: www.reprieve.org.uk/2010_11_02_zagorski_press_conference
    Yes, it was discussed a couple of weeks ago. I think a couple of people suggested that the drug doesn't do the killing and had other legitimate uses. I pointed out that the UK is one of the world's biggest arms manufacturers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiopental
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The death penalty is just an imaginary quick fix for those with an irational bloodlust and desire for revenge. There is no just or valid reason for the death penalty as it does not work. It doesn't reduce murder rates but such is the strength of the desire for revenge those in favour manage to push all of the facts out of the way and spout their opinion as if it were fact.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Only if you faff about like they do in the USA. Have you taken into consideration the Pay per view income?

Is that really the Christian view... sell pay per view of executions?:confused:
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    No, for the following reasons:

1) It neither reduces nor prevents crime.

2) It's not an effective punishment. What worse punishment could there be than death? I hear you ask. Look at it this way. Being dead isn't a punishment. You're not aware of being dead. The only 'punishment' is the time in between sentencing and execution. The moment of execution itself would cause some intense emotion, but it's only a moment, and when it's over, the punishment's over.

Real punishment is being locked in a tiny room, alone, for the rest of your natural life. No radio, no television, no books, no external stimuli. Just a bed, a toilet and a sink. A lifetime alone to think about what you did, no-one to talk to, no freedom, nothing but four grey walls. That's what some people really deserve.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    so presumably you'd agree that what we need is tougher sentencing and tighter controls over who is and who isn't released.

either way, I wouldn't be convinced that people should be executed on the grounds of something they *might* do.

Iain

Yes I'm up for that as a starting point.
    But for some (not all, just some for those hard of reading) people such as the animal that recorded his torture of the child on the other thread, and certain serial killers I'd happily push the button knowing that in the event that these type of people were ever released they would be highly likely to kill again.

So, would I execute some people because of what they might do? I'd rephrase that to what they will likely do!
    The answer is yes I would.

I'd rather have the death of one twisted individual rather than the death of several innocents.
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Yes I'm up for that as a starting point.
    But for some (not all, just some for those hard of reading) people such as the animal that recorded his torture of the child on the other thread, and certain serial killers I'd happily push the button knowing that in the event that these type of people were ever released they would be highly likely to kill again.

So, would I execute some people because of what they might do? I'd rephrase that to what they will likely do!
    The answer is yes I would.

I'd rather have the death of one twisted individual rather than the death of several innocents.

this ^^
  • Options
    GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Beause we don't get a thrill out of killing people?

Fair enough.
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, but within reason.