Options

ethernet or usb broadband connection, which is better???

JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
Forum Member
i know ntl recomends an ethernet connection with their broadband. does anyone know why that is, and is it any quicker than a usb connection ?

Comments

• Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    well personally i just installed ethernet card a few weeks ago after using NTL BB for like 2yrs on USB and i find ethernet is crap so ive gone back to USB cause it was going slow browser wouldnt connect to some sites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ethernet is faster, it may have been the ethernet card
  • Options
    pierreukpierreuk Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I've tried both and they were the same, I'm on wireless now which is just the same too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    In theory, ethernet should be easier to set up and maintain. Also ethernet should be faster. However, the difference in performance, whilst sizable in computer terms (a pc can do a lot in a few milliseconds), will unlikely be significantly noticable from a user point of view.

I would (and do) use ethernet out of choice though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Ethernet is supposed to faster and more reliable, (check the speck on the packaging). If you had problems with a slow connection via an ethernet card, then I would think that the settings may be wrong.
    Ntl supply an USB connection because their engineers are telecom engineers and not PC engineers and NTL do not wish to be responsible for damaging your PC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I was happily using USB, when a lightning strike shorted out the adaptor, and I had to switch to Ethernet. Can't say I've noticed much difference.
  • Options
    DinoDino Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding was that the USB gizmo you get from NTL is simply a USB->Ethernet adapter, as opposed to a card or built in adapter which would be a PCI or PCMCIA->Ethernet adapter.

We use PCI, PCMCIA and USB ethernet & wireless adapters on an enterprise WAN (a wide area network over 8 sites spread across the country) on one of our networks and to be honest, provided the PC's are set up correctly you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.
  • Options
    Scottish_Lad06Scottish_Lad06 Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I found an ethernet much better than a USB. I kept losing my broadband connection when it was connected via USB and was recommended to go onto ethernet; never once lost my conncetion since!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    ethernet is the prefered method for many reasons, the main is the driver which drives the ethernet port is mainly a generic one, and from a cable providers point of view it is up to the customer to make sure the driver works correctly. The other reason is ethernet has a lower CPU overhead than that of usb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethernet is almost always the better option. The USB option relies on special drivers being installed on your computer that degrade the performance and stability of your system. They are also typically only available for Windows, so using Mac OS, Linux or any other operating system would mean you can't use the cable modem. Ethernet also allows you to share your connection using a broadband router and/or use a dedicated hardware firewall.

In the past, USB was seen as the easier option for absolute beginners, since it doesn't require installing an ethernet card. However, nearly all modern computers either have such a card already installed or onboard ethernet, so this is no longer an issue. The expense of ethernet cards was also considered an issue in the past, but you can pick them up for around a fiver now.

Ethernet is clearly superior. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stin74 wrote:
    i know ntl recomends an ethernet connection with their broadband. does anyone know why that is, and is it any quicker than a usb connection ?
    On a USB 1.1 computer, try streaming a USB webcam video over USB broadband.

The bandwith required will put the computers CPU utalisation to 100% and would proberly lock up.

The same setup but with a 1394 firewire webcam and a ethernet controler would proberly not use any CPU overhead at all, and you could carry on with your normall useage :)

Ok, we all have much faster processors since then, and we use USB2 now, but it still puts strain on the CPU. So, ethernet is better. Im also a beliver in the whole not using software emulated networking drivers thing.
    -Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if i try my ethernet lead instead of the usb one ive been using. do i have to install the ntl disk again and then choose ethernet, or will the software be on the pc already ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stin74 wrote:
    if i try my ethernet lead instead of the usb one ive been using. do i have to install the ntl disk again and then choose ethernet, or will the software be on the pc already ?
    Dont install any software. Ethernet devices dont use drivers. I suggest you read this guide:
    http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=1&c=1
    -Chris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethernet doesnt require any installation. Just plug in and go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Davester wrote:
    Ethernet doesnt require any installation. Just plug in and go.

and thats it, do i not need to change any settings or anything?
  • Options
    bpreceybprecey Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    stin74 wrote:
    and thats it, do i not need to change any settings or anything?

You will need to unplug the Modem and plug it back in again if you were using USB before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are using a set top box for your connection, you will need to reregister your PC with NTL as your MAC address will have changed.

Not sure whether you need to do this with the cable modems, I'm sure someone will provide the answer...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dino wrote:
    If you are using a set top box for your connection, you will need to reregister your PC with NTL as your MAC address will have changed.

Not sure whether you need to do this with the cable modems, I'm sure someone will provide the answer...
    You don't :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    mhaze wrote:
    Ntl supply an USB connection because their engineers are telecom engineers and not PC engineers and NTL do not wish to be responsible for damaging your PC.

So NTL definitely don't supply an ethernet card?

I am getting broadband installed next week but I dont have an ethernet port at the back of my PC. Do I need to install an ethernet card myself before they come to put broadband in?

I only have one USB 1 port so I would rather use ethernet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G-G wrote:
    So NTL definitely don't supply an ethernet card?
    Nope.
    G-G wrote:
    I am getting broadband installed next week but I dont have an ethernet port at the back of my PC. Do I need to install an ethernet card myself before they come to put broadband in?
    They will give you a modem with a USB and a ethernet port on it, you can connect it however you like but unless you specifically ask the installer to hook it up to your PC for you, he or she will just leave you with instructions and a installation CD.
    G-G wrote:
    I only have one USB 1 port so I would rather use ethernet.
    Then buy a ethernet card for £4.99 at maplin:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31868&doy=21m7D
    -Chris

WOO: 500th post :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ethernet is faster, it may have been the ethernet card

Definitely ethernet, as USB takes power from the motherboard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely ethernet, as USB takes power from the motherboard.
    And I presume that a PCI ethernet card runs off magic?
  • Options
    gagdegagde Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    okay so lets get this straight, i run ntl of ethernet so if i say had to format my harddrive. i can then just plug in my cable modem by ethernet cable and away you go no need for setup discs or nothing.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dino wrote:
    And I presume that a PCI ethernet card runs off magic?

Less power is taken, and for cheapy computers, USB is considerably slower than ethernet.
  • Options
    hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gagde wrote:
    okay so lets get this straight, i run ntl of ethernet so if i say had to format my harddrive. i can then just plug in my cable modem by ethernet cable and away you go no need for setup discs or nothing.

The vast majority of standard ethernet cards have drivers included in the OS install disc, so you shouldn't need a setup disc.