Petrol in Diesel in an i30

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    All now sorted, £193 to drain and flush, and £60 to refill with 100% diesel !

no damage to seals or pump :)

Expensive lesson for you then, bet you won't do it for a while now (hopefully) If you are like my aunty then maybe not she done it twice within 4 weeks of the first mistake.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    All now sorted, £193 to drain and flush, and £60 to refill with 100% diesel !

no damage to seals or pump :)

How long did it take?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Expensive lesson for you then, bet you won't do it for a while now (hopefully) If you are like my aunty then maybe not she done it twice within 4 weeks of the first mistake.

Really, it boggles the mind. My Mother managed somehow to put quite a bit of diesel into a petrol which probably just about equals petrol in a diesel x3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put a couple of litres of diesel into my car and realised and filled the rest of the tank with petrol to dilute it down. Hasn't does any harm or had any effect at all.

Had you filled it all and tried driving it, then it would have conked out on you soon after leaving the petrol station. Happened to my sister's car when husband borrowed and put wrong fuel in. The engine on the saab was never the same again.Cost him £200 to fix
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Usually, diesel in a petrol engined vehicle is a disaster, especially one with a catalytic converter fitted.....older engines without a cat maybe you could get away with a small amount of diesel with a full tank of petrol.

Petrol in a diesel (a small amount) can be rectified by filling up with diesel, especially if you fit some 2 stroke oil into the tank (to lubricate the fuel system/pump)

Two Gallons would probably be recoverable, but £22 of petrol might not be....It's your call.

Personally, in this instance I would go for the drain option.
    Been there ,done it, Petrol in Diesel car. A lot heavier concentration than what your'e quoting, Ran a bit lumpy but kept topping up with Diesel and all was okay.
    In the 60s and 70s lorries were always dosed with petrol to stop Diesel waxing in cold weather.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happened to us too

We needed the injectors done as a recall anyway, so they charged for a drain.

We got off lightly but it can cost £1000s if you aren't careful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I put petrol in my diesel car and didn't realised until it stopped. Phoned RAC and they told me they didn't cover it but told me to call Wrong Fuel UK, which i did.

Guy turned up an hour or so later with a van with "WRONG FUEL UK" in massive letters down the side. It may as well have said "and here is an idiot ".

:D:D it could be worse. I was at the petrol station the other day, there was a huge audi 4X4 thing, she'd filled the whole blooming thing with the wrong fuel. :eek: she then had to wait for mr fuel man, who stood there giving her a long lecture about taking more care etc! Poor woman was not only mortified at holding up the whole station (its a small station with only 2 doublesided pumps, and she was blocking one!), she had a load of kids screaming in the car and he was lecturing her!

Its times like this I love my fiesta with its smart cap :D (i discovered it had a smart cap when I tried to put the diesel pump in... :o)