Options

Sky hd 2tb box for £15.

John896John896 Posts: 145
Forum Member
My father had a call from sky this morning offering him a,
Sky hd 2tb box for just £15 (delivery charge).The man from sky also said there would be no change to his sky package,so he would just stay on the Sky Entertainment pack £21.50 a month with no hd.He has been with sky about ten years and has an old white sky+ box.Has anyone heard of this offer before.?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn! Why dont I get these calls from Sky!
  • Options
    andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    what he said
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Do bear in mind that John896's dad had an old SD Sky+ box.
    You wouldn't get that sort of offer if you already had a non-Thomson HD box.
    I'm sure Sky would be aiming to get all the SD Sky+ boxes, and indeed the old SD non-PVR boxes which many people must still be using, out of the system.
    Having said that, being offered the premium 2TB HD box for as little as £15 does sound almost too good to be true!
    :)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I'm sure Sky would be aiming to get all the SD Sky+ boxes, and indeed the old SD non-PVR boxes which many people must still be using, out of the system.
    Having said that, being offered the premium 2TB HD box for as little as £15 does sound almost too good to be true!

Could also be the start of some very tempting offers from Sky this year to pre-empt BT's likely ad campaign later this year for BT Sports and Vision bundles.

Tying more subscribers into a new 12 month contract (as I suspect they will) would be a handy way for Sky to resist the BT onslaught! If I get an offer cheaply to replace my old low capacity Pace box, I will report back. ;)
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I've got an old Sky + box listed on my account (it's actually not in use) and if I try to upgrade that online it's £199 + £60 set-up!!
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, It costs sky licencing fees to do any updating of the old open TV platform.

Also it makes it much harder to adjust the box side of the encryption as that would mean updating the software. Besides those boxes are insecure so it wouldn't take long to emulate whatever new mode of encyption used with in the box in card sharing.

Sky don't want to pay licencing fees or allow card sharing so it makes perfect sense to keep giving these offers, to get the whole subscriber base on newer secure boxes. This would be the first stage.
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is ;)

Ask for it in writing first, else you might just end up with a standard box
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is ;)

Ask for it in writing first, else you might just end up with a standard box

I would say , if its a great offer ( which £15 for a 2TB box is ) take up the offer,usually once they put the phone down,you will not get in touch with them again and the offer will be missed

What do you mean by a standard box ?

I personally recently got a 2TB box for £49 with FREE install and I thought that was a cracking deal .
  • Options
    wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got this deal,I'm a current sky subscriber.
    2TB box £49
    Free delivery
    Self install
    Hd pack 1st 6mths £5
    2nd. ". £10.25
    I'm well pleased with this,it was on Sky website,online chat assistant did'nt know about £49,free delivery or 6mths £5,you would think Sky would inform them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wacky joe wrote: »
    I got this deal,I'm a current sky subscriber.
    2TB box £49
    Free delivery
    Self install
    Hd pack 1st 6mths £5
    2nd. ". £10.25
    I'm well pleased with this,it was on Sky website,online chat assistant did'nt know about £49,free delivery or 6mths £5,you would think Sky would inform them.

That's exactly what my gf got yesterday !
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only call i got was some insurance scam from a company who say they are calling on behalf of Sky Digital
  • Options
    BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP wasn't clear about whether accepting the box would tie the customer in to a 12-month contract. This would make a bit more sense if it were the case.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All they keep offering me is free boardband, which as I keep telling them is pointless as I get it free through work. They keep saying they will come back with another offer to reward my 'loyalty'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the man from sky phoned back this morning,my father paid £15 with his card he did double check with the man that it was for a 2 tb box.And that it would not tie him in too another 12 month contract,and the man yes it was a 2tb box and no it would not tie him in too another 12 month contract.And also his sky package would stay the same at £21.50 for the Entertainment pack.Will await for the box to come next week.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever the CS said, i guarantee it will tie you into a new 12 month contract, they would not send you a £300 box without doing so, otherwise you could cancel tomorrow and sell it (you can sell it anyway, but at least you have to pay them a years subs).
  • Options
    wacky joewacky joe Posts: 1,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I orderied my 2TB on Sunday 10pm arrived 1pm Tuesday.
    Věry good delivery time,ot said on conformation email 3-5 days delivery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The funny thing is that he has a sky + box to record,however he will not use it.And still wants to use his video recorder with video tapes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John896 wrote: »
    The funny thing is that he has a sky + box to record,however he will not use it.And still wants to use his video recorder with video tapes.
    Thanks, just what we wanted to hear!
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Sky are a complete shambles when it comes to supporting existing customers, I've been with them for 14 years or so, up graded to Sky HD in the first year of release, box playing silly buggers now and again, ring them up to see about a deal on a new 2tb box and its nope sorry £149 it is. I have recently cancelled movies, had that for like 6 years, because I got Netflix, and they have still failed to cancel the subscription. I have considered going for the lowest package but I do like their BB so can't if I want to keep unlimited BB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky are a complete shambles when it comes to supporting existing customers, I've been with them for 14 years or so, up graded to Sky HD in the first year of release, box playing silly buggers now and again, ring them up to see about a deal on a new 2tb box and its nope sorry £149 it is. I have recently cancelled movies, had that for like 6 years, because I got Netflix, and they have still failed to cancel the subscription. I have considered going for the lowest package but I do like their BB so can't if I want to keep unlimited BB.

Don't understand this, you don't even need to be a Sky TV customer to get their unlimited broadband, so why does it matter what package you are on?
  • Options
    Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recently cancelled movies, had that for like 6 years, because I got Netflix, and they have still failed to cancel the subscription. I have considered going for the lowest package but I do like their BB so can't if I want to keep unlimited BB.

You do realise that its 30 days notice to downgrade your package? So no changes will take place until that's complete.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't understand this, you don't even need to be a Sky TV customer to get their unlimited broadband, so why does it matter what package you are on?
    Broadband Unlimited does cost a lot more if you're not a TV subscriber.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Yes I know you don't have to be a Sky Tv customer, but it's cheaper if you are, like Dave-H said. I cancelled on 7th January, when I rang start of Feb, they could see I had cancelled, but it hadn't been acted upon, and even now I still get Sky movies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, i know that, was just using the fact that you could subscribe without TV as a reference, because the OP said they wanted to drop the the lowest PACKAGE (which in my mind is still poaying for TV), but couldn't, as they liked the broadband.
    I have considered going for the lowest package but I do like their BB so can't if I want to keep unlimited BB.

So even on the lowest package, the broadband would cost no more,

Also, it only costs an additional £2.50 if you don't subscribe to TV, so considerably cheaper than paying £21.50 just to keep the cheaper broadband.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Is £2.50 a lot???