Forum design feedback

Comments

• TonyCurrieTonyCurrie Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The font is illegible and I can;t even see what I'm typing here. The grey space is ghastly. There is too much space between posts and between items on the front page. This is a massive user interface fail and I have no alternative but to leave DS permanently it's so bad. My eyes hurt and I'm not wasting any more time on this. Well done, boys. Hope your advertisers appreciate the meddling.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) It's painfully bright, and the cyan coloured text is the wrong tone against white: it's very hard to read.

2) User names need to be 3 or 4 times bigger. Posts feel virtually anonymous, and this forum has always had a sense of community.

3) The standard font is at least 2 points too small.

4) Far too much white space - perfect design philosophy on a home page, daft on a text-first medium like a forum.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I usually use the desktop format on my iPhone but it isn't possible now.
    I have switched to mobile format but I now have a headache and my eyes hurt.
    I'm off to the shop for some nurofen and a magnifying glass.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    All the old pngs are still the same and clash with the new light blue font, which I hate anyway as its all blurry & does your eyes in:mad:.

Give it time. They just haven't got around to the new .pngs yet. They haven't updated the smilies to something post 1998 yet either.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh!! It's HIDEOUS! Truly awful DS.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PLEASE

Give Us the Option to change the colour scheme under our personal preferences !!!!
  • BelgoLiftBelgoLift Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurts my eyes, please remember that many of your FM are older and dark gray on gray does us no favours.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Only constructive thing I can say is... at least that's cured my DS addiction.

I swear with this layout I'm seriously thinking of jacking iit in. It's horrible. The DS banner with the "Showbiz... Tech" dropdown takes up half my screen. The Forum layout doesn't fit my screen: the quote buttons are cut off, so are the two columuns showing the no of replies and views. If I zoom out to get the page to fit my screen properly, I can't read the text because it is that small. And I can only get to see one post at a time on my screen.

Ugh! I hate it so much!!! :mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK

MY EYES really hurt now.

way to bright and glaring.

as a lighting designer ...this would NEVER be acceptable or fit for purpose.

In all seriousness this is true. I've only been wandering about for 5 mins or so and I can feel my eyes starting to hurt.

Does all that advertising revenue not stretch to a dev/qa/pre-prod/prod landscape and some testing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the reasons I liked DS was because it was easy on the eye. I rarely got any headaches while browsing (except those induced by annoyingly stubborn trolls etc).

Suddenly this happens and I get a massive headache.
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,383
    Forum Member
    It's awful, far too bright, I've only been on the forum for 10 minutes and I'm already getting a headache because I'm straining my eyes.

If it ain't broke....
  • GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on DS for over 10 years, though I don't post that regularly. I have to say this is one of the worst revamps I've ever seen. The colour scheme is abysmal. The font seems to be a web font that displays badly in FF.

Just a complete mess.

Any chance of the old scheme coming back as an optional skin?
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks repulsive.

The main site was gross, but semi-bearable. The forums are actually unreadable as well as gross.

Wonder how many members are gonna stop posting due to this... :)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a few other forums and this new layout is by far the worst. Eek.
    And now the smilies don't work :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    It needed a change, but this design looks like its not finished.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why is there a full stop at end of Digital Spy in the header?

Now that I've noticed it it's really irritating me :o
    It's an omen:sleep:.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    If you have Stylebot installed, this is the edit I made. Stylebot is a browser extension made for doing CSS changes so I'm doing nothing wrong here :)

http://stylebot.me/styles/4234

That blue blackground (perhaps with a blue logo at the top as well, rather than one in a box) would look so much better! What a brilliant design :D

It looks a bit like the Tumblr design, if I'm honest, but that's no bad thing. It's minimalist, it's modern and it even references the hint of blue that the old website had.
  • stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG DS, what have you done. It is headache inducing horrid. Everything is out of proportion. The colour scheme hurts your eyes. You have really dropped the ball.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who else on DS is posting links to your doomed forum?

Someone has just sent me a PM to it.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    Just tweaked the design myself using the browser extension Stylebot which should now override the default theme when I visit the forums on my PC.

http://i.imgur.com/l9PA7CQ.png

We need
    a poll.
    Kago version
    above or new
    version or
    old version.

I would vote
    Kargo - clean
    and readable
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Don't like this at all. It seems very difficult to use on my tablet, and the colours are dull and unappealing.
    To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother signing up if I had just discovered it.

I think it's just because there's an empty feeling when looking at the page. It'll probably be finished off soon.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks as though the page has failed to load correctly.

Really doesn't look finished.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    And why is there a full stop at end of Digital Spy in the header?

Now that I've noticed it it's really irritating me :o

*Cough*
  • thismorningfanthismorningfan Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mobile version is much better, I've just changed to it.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Hmmm...the design is ok, but the colours are terrible. Well the greys lol

The top navigation bar does not need to be persistent. That should scroll away as i leave the top of the page.
This discussion has been closed.