Options

Have I Got News For You - Series 40 - Thursdays 9pm BBC1

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
The popular news quiz returns, with team captains Paul Merton and Ian Hislop, guest host Benedict Cumberbatch, and guest panelists Victoria Coren and Jon Richardson.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vdhr1/Have_I_Got_News_for_You_Series_40_Episode_1/

My god, Hislop and Merton looked old on the trailer for the show.

Both guests were pretty good last series though, so there is promise

Comments

• Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vdhr1/Have_I_Got_News_for_You_Series_40_Episode_1/

Yeah Merton has started to grey. I'm not sure I like its Thursday time slot still.
  • Options
    KierkegaardKierkegaard Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    This programme still hasn't died?

How much are they paying Hislop and Merton now - £40,000-£50,000 per episode?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cumberbatch is a fine actor but he’s not really a ready wit on the evidence I’ve seen so why is he doing this? Will anyone with a pulse and an Equity card do these days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Answered your own question there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone should invent Vicky Coren flavoured ice cream.
  • Options
    PaulB1973PaulB1973 Posts: 2,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

..the programme has been going 20 years.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmmmmm...Victoria Coren.

She can discipline me anytime...

...she's also quite intelligent
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oops I started a thread too. Well I will bow to the earlier one :-) Am liking BC as presenter already...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Jesus, I despise Victoria Coren.

Loving BC though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think she has a different effect on males :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I think she has a different effect on males :D

Aye I seem to be in a minority :p

She just annoys the hell out of me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairly flat overall, unlike Vicky. :D Can’t imagine the extended Saturday edition will improve it.
  • Options
    Ms BrightsideMs Brightside Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liking a blonde Benedict Cumberbatch :o:D

He was quite funny too I thought.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Finally got to see this being recorded yesterday. :D

Vicktoria Coren is very cute, she also seemed to say a lot more on the night. Crazy how much they have to leave out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the first ep of the new series, they had so much news to cover - Chile, Millibands etc. etc.

I actually prefer the eps where it's been a slower news week. It feels a bit more relaxed pace wise and they can include more banter in the edit.

I love Cumberbatch and thought he did okay. I like Coren and Richardson, but they aren't my favourite guests by a long stretch.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Richardson's rant against Sir Philip Green. The sort of thing Ian Hislop used to do!
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »
    I liked Richardson's rant against Sir Philip Green. The sort of thing Ian Hislop used to do!

It was the highlight of the show.

Benedict Cumberbatch must have the best name in showbiz:D I thought he did OK.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they running a twitter feed for the show?

That's a bit desperate

No idea who the host was, assume he's the BBC's flavour of the month
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bit that made me uncomfortable was when the so-called comedian insulted the businessman Phillip Green and called him a "sh*t"

Apart from being in poor taste perhaps the same comedian would let us know his personal contribution to the UK economy...
  • Options
    sonnytsonnyt Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually hate actors on HIGNFY but Cumberbatch fitted in well. Easy on the eyes to and his voice is like velvet.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    The bit that made me uncomfortable was when the so-called comedian insulted the businessman Phillip Green and called him a "sh*t"

Apart from being in poor taste perhaps the same comedian would let us know his personal contribution to the UK economy...

I actually agree with the comedian that Phillip Green is a tax evading shit, because he would have had to pay back over £200 million in tax, but he get's let off the same as Vodafone who were left off with a tax bill of £7 million by our kindly thoughtful and useless HMRC.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a big difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion.
    After reading Sir Philip's findings about the scandalous amount of waste in governmental departments, I don't blame him for trying to pay as little tax as possible.
    As a former BBC freelancer, and now as someone who runs his own business, I can confirm there is no shortage of waste and overstaffing at the BBC either. Their business practises wouldn't last five minutes in the commercial sector.
    As for tonight's host, I've never heard of him. Victoria Coren is welcome in my flat anytime she likes though!"
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    No idea who the host was, assume he's the BBC's flavour of the month

Benedict Cumberbatch is an actor who (a) played the part of the young Stephen Hawking in a biographical drama a few years ago, (b) narrated the script written by Hawking in the recent series about the History of the Universe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    As for tonight's host, I've never heard of him.

So, how were things down that mine?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »

Who are you, Green's PA?

Tax avoidance may be perfectly legal, but it's in even poorer taste when the people who practice it have the cheek to lecture the rest of us in how the country should be run.